Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barry Sheene biopic.

Sweet FA

✪ Three rounds Lord, in my .44 ✪
The first person I completely hero worshipped; annuals, pictures on the walls, newspaper cuttings, the works. Film's based on Steve Parrish' book so could be OK - the bike looks beautiful anyway :cool:

Fucking dude :thumbs:

12745988_10154019780675086_1880858622239009095_n.jpg

12705493_10154019780305086_8290945119311324332_n.jpg

Despite having no interest in him or motorbikes i too had a poster on my wall. I think my old man - who was mad into the bikes - must have put it there to try and influence me.

Last edited:
Barry Sheen. There is a name from my childhood. Probably influenced by my dad to. He had a Norton and used to do sidecar racing before I was born.

Only thing I really remember about Barry is him breaking both his legs and then going on to do truck racing. I'd probably watch this.

I was 8 in '76 when he won 5 out of 10 500cc Grand Prix - I thought he was the coolest thing in the world.

12714177_10154019823770086_257667399_n (1).jpg

A little before my time. His name just resonates. Used to watch motor racing on the telly in the 80s. Even that truck racing thing which I think was in the late 80s early 90s.

I had a poster of him, too, but I suspect I only really liked him cos it was taken as a truth among my mates that he was the coolest person ever and also he wore red and was number 7 like my actual hero Kenny Dalglish.

A few years ago, before he died, I was at Goodwood where there was a classic motorcycle race. Sheene was there riding a 500cc manx Norton. His mechanic was apparently irritated with him because he was pulling stunts and wearing out the clutch. We were just level with the pits when Sheene came in and took off his helmet - there right in front of me Barry Sheene - I stood gawping :) didn't even get a picture!

Last edited:
Always reminds me of the old pub quiz trick question.
Which English number seven has taken the most corners?
Yep, you got it!

I was fortunate to work with a millwright a few years older than me, originally from Twickenham.
He was a bike racer back in the late 60s early 70s and he was a friend of Barry and his dad Frank.
He used to tell us great stories about when they were just starting out, racing 50cc bikes before going up to the big league 125ccs. As well as the TT races.
He told us how one day after having a mishap on a practice lap, Barry and his dad were running around, I think, Mallory Park with a hacksaw looking for a bit of tube to repair the bike exhaust, they chopped a foot of scaffolding pipe off one of the camera towers, with the blokes on top screaming blue murder.

Last time I spoke to my old mate he was riding Sheene's old TR 500 Suzuki on show laps at places like the Goodwood festival.

Remember watching the Roberts/Sheene GP where he gave him the V's when I was a kid. Lead changed so many times. Totally ace. I hope this film's good - it should be, it's a great story.

A few years ago, before he died, I was at Goodwood where there was a classic motorcycle race. Sheene was there riding a 500cc manx Norton. His mechanic was apparently irritated with him because he was pulling stunts and wearing out the clutch. We were just level with the pits when Sheene came in and took off his helmet - there right in front of me Barry Sheene - I stood gawping :) didn't even get a picture!
I was actually at the Revival the year that he died. They re-named one of the races after him, and they had a tribute where the bikes he raced lapped the circuit on the Sunday.

Saw him a few times, the Transatlantic series and a couple of Grand Prixs. My most enjoyable was to see him at Olivers Mount Scarborough. A nasty narrow twisty circuit, he loved it and so did I.

Back
Top Bottom