Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bait film about Cornish fishermen - "one of the defining British films of the decade"

Just watched it. Agree with the comments about the score. The sound made it. Enjoyed spotting locations as well. Haven't been in that pub since politely being told to fuck off for daring to turn up to a folk night by the organiser mind. My only gripe is the accents seemed a bit off.

Just watched it. Agree with the comments about the score. The sound made it. Enjoyed spotting locations as well. Haven't been in that pub since politely being told to fuck off for daring to turn up to a folk night by the organiser mind. My only gripe is the accents seemed a bit off.
A bit orff.

The accent of the Cornish lead actor ? The entire film is quite obviously dubbed, which exaggerates the quality of the dialogue and makes it sound very artificial. Naturalism wasn’t what the film was going for.

The accent of the Cornish lead actor ? The entire film is quite obviously dubbed, which exaggerates the quality of the dialogue and makes it sound very artificial. Naturalism wasn’t what the film was going for.
Aye, though I still found it off putting. It sounded to me almost like when someone has an accent then tries to accentuate it and it sounds nothing like how they'd actually talk or that accent generally.

Aye, though I still found it off putting. It sounded to me almost like when someone has an accent then tries to accentuate it and it sounds nothing like how they'd actually talk or that accent generally.
Kind of missing the point to the approach to sound design and dialogue now. The hyper-stylised quality is one if the things which made this so unusual. Watch some early British sound films, which this was emulating. Everybody exaggerates or over-enunciates when they speak. Of course it wasn’t supposed to sound like anybody actually talks,

Saw this last w/e. It's heavily stylised , what 50/60s film does it reference most clearly, anyone ?
it's a film about change ultimately. The pub becomes this pivot in the film, can see why there's hype, i was laughing quite a few times and no one else was !!

Kind of missing the point to the approach to sound design and dialogue now. The hyper-stylised quality is one if the things which made this so unusual. Watch some early British sound films, which this was emulating. Everybody exaggerates or over-enunciates when they speak. Of course it wasn’t supposed to sound like anybody actually talks,
It's quite possible to understand something and still find it off putting.

Sometimes the characters verged on caricatures, but I can forgive it that, and I'm sure many of the lines from the incomers, such as the idiot tourist complaining about the fishing boats, were taken from real life.

It's a towering central performance. His core dignity and decency are there from the start, but the film plays with the viewer's prejudices, and I was ashamed to have fallen for that to a degree in my expectations. Brilliant stuff.

Back
Top Bottom