Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

autonomous cars - the future of motoring is driverless

This has a redundant driver IIRC, or at the very least, capacity for one. Paris Metro has two fully driverless lines, one since 1998.

There are automated long distance trains in places like Australia too - Rio Tinto.

DLR has been fully automated since 1987 as I recall, I think they usually had a member of staff operating the doors but no one up front, presumably the door operator could stop the train in an emergency but they were moving through the train checking tickets the last time I used one

Impressive new Tesla demo

(PS: It's legal to pass on the inside in California)

Still daylit roads in low traffic, but they let plenty of reporters take rides in it and the reports are glowing.

As a safe and competent driver I cannot imagine myself ever voluntarily using the ‘autopilot’ feature, certainly as long as I was still legally required to sit at the wheel as a backup operator (as opposed to napping at the back). I like driving, and it’d be fucking boring just to sit there.

I guess if one was allowed to put an iPad in their line of vision to watch a film it’s be a bit more tolerable...

Actually the technical presentations from the press event are really in depth and straight from the heads of departments. Elon's there too, but he's fairly toned down. Very interesting stuff. They totally own the "after the easy stuff it's all corner cases" argument and reckon they're winning the fight through simple weight of numbers. They have millions of cars on the road and can see how real drivers deal with unusual situations. Good machine learning just needs good data.

(Starts about 1h5m)

Last edited:
Actually the technical presentations from the press event are really in depth and straight from the heads of departments. Elon's there too, but he's fairly toned down. Very interesting stuff. They totally own the "after the easy stuff it's all corner cases" argument and reckon they're winning the fight through simple weight of numbers. They have millions of cars on the road and can see how real drivers deal with unusual situations. Good machine learning just needs good data.

(Starts about 1h5m)

I posted a link to the article upthread a while ago, but apparently in urban areas with heavy cyclist presence, such as Scandinavian nations, they’re nowhere near to achieving a reliable autonomous system. Apparently the unique ‘characteristics’ of cyclists, namely their much looser adherence to road laws and capability to materialise around cars through narrow gaps that makes them difficult to detect are causing havoc to the software.

The tesla demo, it doesn't look a difficult drive, all the roads are big and there's not much traffic. It's so far away from uk driving.

This is interesting. BBC iPlayer - Click - The Self-driving Revolution
Because it was conflicting with the autonomous systems on the car, Uber had turned off Volvo's accident avoidance systems; would this have saved the person that was killed?
The programme goes on to say that Uber will not be prosecuted but the "driver" might yet be.
This raises the old issue of who is responsible in the event of an accident, what is the status of the car, the programmers, the passenger under law, though the laws in
Arizona appear very lax.

This is interesting. BBC iPlayer - Click - The Self-driving Revolution
Because it was conflicting with the autonomous systems on the car, Uber had turned off Volvo's accident avoidance systems; would this have saved the person that was killed?
The programme goes on to say that Uber will not be prosecuted but the "driver" might yet be.
This raises the old issue of who is responsible in the event of an accident, what is the status of the car, the programmers, the passenger under law, though the laws in
Arizona appear very lax.
I’ve said from the start that it’s legal problems rather than technological ones that will hold autonomous vehicles back...

Five years since this thread began, are we on target with the general level of prediction the industry was making at the start of it?

I’ve said from the start that it’s legal problems rather than technological ones that will hold autonomous vehicles back...

But it's not though; the Uber car that killed that person did not see a person. It reportedly saw three separate things before it hit them.
Also, they are experimenting with near mid and far vision technology, radar Etc. It's far from a done deal.
The people trialling the autonomous cars are under no obligation to declare anything under the powers given to them by Arizona, so we don't know how many miles they are driving before
an intervention, the cause of the intervention, the technology being used. It would appear that Arizona have given them a free ride.

I like being in control of my vehicle.

It may be many years before I will have the confidence to relinquish control to a computer.

I’m in my 40s, and I’m pretty confident in my prediction that a full, compulsory switch to
autonomous cars will not happen in my lifetime. And thank fuck for that.

I’m in my 40s, and I’m pretty confident in my prediction that a full, compulsory switch to
autonomous cars will not happen in my lifetime. And thank fuck for that.

It’ll be insurance lead before it’s compulsory

I wouldn't like to be the guinea pigs that try these out first.

Nor would I like to be on the complex UK roads while they did it.

I do like the idea that I could climb into my vehicle and say "home James" and it would just take me there without any input, but I think 1) it is a long way off and 2) an even longer time before I could afford such undoubtedly expensive technology.

https://gizmodo.com/ups-has-been-delivering-cargo-in-self-driving-trucks-fo-1837272680

UPS using self-driving trucks in Arizona (still has a driver and an engineer on board, not driverless)
Looks like the simplest of road situations - moving cargo from hub to hub along a freeway/motorway type road, but the video has the truck going through a storm - I thought arizona was the test bed for a lot of this because the weather was reliably clear and sunny and not a challenge.
Always thought this would be the first type of vehicle to go fully autonomous - cargo trucks moving around on motorways, between warehouses/hubs with driven vehicles doing the last mile delivery into towns.

One of the best things about lorries doing this I though was forming road trains, whereby each lorry communicated with the one in front and behaind and travelled just inches apart from each other to maximise slipstreaming and thus cut down on fuel.

One of the best things about lorries doing this I though was forming road trains, whereby each lorry communicated with the one in front and behaind and travelled just inches apart from each other to maximise slipstreaming and thus cut down on fuel.
They would have to do something clever when driving past junctions.

Can you imagine trying to merge with a larger road and finding yourself next to a road train of 5 HVG vehicles nose to tail in the first lane?

So now you know how your passengers feel :p:D
My passenger know I (a human driver with some experience) am in control of the vehicle. It is what they are used to. It may take some time before they will trust a computer system the same as that.

UK's first full-size 'driverless' bus tested in Glasgow

Autonomous bus trials in Scotland - not watched the video.
Surprised they are trialling buses - makes sense in that they have a fixed route (and the ones going between Fife and Glasgow might be mostly on a-roads or motorways?) but carrying lots of people, I'd have thought they would be amongst the last type of vehicle to be trialling.

Dieselpunk2000 an impressive size of machine indeed, but it seems to need two operators rather than the one driver its human controlled alternative would need. One to do the radio control and another to keep the control cable from getting caught under its wheels. :)

I see the government is pressing full steam ahead with this tomfoolery

Given that current technology and infrastructure is nowhere near where it should be, the roads might become a far more unpredictable place to be come next Spring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom