Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

A brilliant show, but of its time.

I wonder if you were the type to over analyse it you could spot the negative regional stereotypes?

Oz as the boorish oaf of a man - Geordie
Moxey- thieving scouser
Wayne - cocky and full of himself OI OI type cockney
Barry - nice but socially inept brummie

Wouldn’t get away with it nowadays perhaps? But humour often plays on stereotypes.

I suspect it might be very much of it's time and it might be a bit dated and not worn well.
To be fair its not that bad. Oz is a racist old meathead but the others constantly challenge him on it and its definitely not the prevailing wisdom.
There are still a couple of cringe moments, like when they discover Neville working in an Indian restaurant and a chorus rings out of "GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME"; and when Bomber's 16 year old daughter turns up and Wayne refers to her as Jailbait.

I do think its the best series about white working class male relationships we have though.
They bicker, argue, take the piss and drive each other mad but are always supportive of each other.

Quite emotional when Dennis gets into a fight in that bar and Oz steams in to rescue him and gets glassed for his trouble

To be fair its not that bad. Oz is a racist old meathead but the others constantly challenge him on it and its definitely not the prevailing wisdom.
There are still a couple of cringe moments, like when they discover Neville working in an Indian restaurant and a chorus rings out of "GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME"; and when Bomber's 16 year old daughter turns up and Wayne refers to her as Jailbait.
That scene in the Indian is the sort of thing they took the piss out of on goodness gracious me I think. There were probably more awful moments in that restaurant than that one chorus.
There was probably a lot of sexist stuff particularly concerning Wayne.

Was reading today that Caroline Hutchinson, who played Dennis' wife Vera, was supposed to be a big part of s2 but tragically got cancer and was too ill to participate.

She sadly died in 1988

This is the best photo of them
b32b07e5f4eef3cbdbf1572f98184775-jpg.274183

Question time, as I didn't bother with an xmas quiz this year (no cheating now): After Pat Roach, who is the oldest person in the photo?

Back
Top Bottom