Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Bloody immigrants...

Remember loving this as a kid. One of the few things the whole fam watched together and got properly into.

They are all on YouTube now. I done them during lockdown 1. Still fantastic if not a little "different times" with some of the jokes and things.

Best to stop after s2 though. Quality drops right off after that

Also on UKTV Play - which is the Smart TV app for various channels, also available via Internet and App.

Bomber is the best character but they're all top lads.

Hmmm... could be due for a rewatch (I've been watching several episodes of Taskmaster a night for what seems like ever). Would have to deal with the Noel Clarke factor though, as I really like S3 and couldn't skip it :(

Also on UKTV Play - which is the Smart TV app for various channels, also available via Internet and App.

Bomber is the best character but they're all top lads.
They're cut to shit on there. At least 5 minutes taken out of each episode

Yeah. There's lots of willies. You don't get them on UKTV :p :rolleyes:

:D

Oh really? That's rubbish, I watched on Britbox a few months ago and its the full episodes - didn't know they'd been edited.
Yah. I just checked. Ep 1 on YouTube is 51 mins. On uktv its 44.

I watched it all on uktv last year before I realised, at which point I said "Ahh bollocks man".

If anyone is planning a watch of s1 see which eastenders characters you can spot; either in background or minor speaking parts

I watched the first episode again on YouTube a couple of weeks back.
They have another gadge in the hut if you look closely, he has a non speaking role but looks on when there are group discussions going on etc.
I don't think he's seen again after ep 1 iirc

He's like a parallel-universe Billy Joel.
I was gonna say if Billy Joel was born and raised in the north east if England, but after googling I cannot confirm if Joe Fagin was in fact a geordie- although he certainly looks like one

I wonder if you were the type to over analyse it you could spot the negative regional stereotypes?

Oz as the boorish oaf of a man - Geordie
Moxey- thieving scouser
Wayne - cocky and full of himself OI OI type cockney
Barry - nice but socially inept brummie

The various character profiles were up and running from the first episode - by 3 in, it is like they were always there and you knew them & their actions . Pretty decent to get under your skin so quickly and take on lives off their own . Still stand by my earlier comments about the relaxed plotting giving the storylines and people time to develop. My kids couldn’t watch it I suspect, not enough happening.

Halfway through the first series. Loving it (again) as is my gf who it’s new to. She just can’t get over Jimmy Nail’s accent!

We’re both loving Barry and his very sensible approach to everything. Not so much his terrible jeans and blatant moose hoof.

Something I enjoy and shudder at equally is the fact that they are on a real site with very little, if any PPE, scaffolding with no handrails or toe boards and A REAL WORKING CRANE FFS!!! (With no hard hats :facepalm: )
I was gob smacked to see Nev banking down a load. I can’t see how they could’ve faked it, or tbh why, as I reckon that would’ve cost more to do.

It’s ace!

I wonder if you were the type to over analyse it you could spot the negative regional stereotypes
Barry - nice but socially inept brummie
socially inept is not a brummy stereotype.
also, as said, he wasnt from brum. dont know what the stereotype is meant to be for wolvo. dont think there is one.

edited to add: i did work in brierley hill once and the foundry manager told me if it was up to him he wouldnt have employed me because bilston was near wolverhampton, which was full of thieves, murderers and blacks.

If I was Dennis I'd have stayed with Dagmar, he was onto a good thing there.
Yeah, I remember thinking that.

I discovered Aufy at 15 when the third series was aired in the summer of 2002, and I assumed it was new. I laughed till my sides ached at Moxey discussing his nephew Gooey (spelt G-U-Y), then my mum told me there'd been a first and second series in the 80s. The family clubbed together to buy me a first and second series boxset for my 17th birthday, which I've still got today and am currently rewatching for the however-manyeth time, an episode a night.

My gateway scene:

Back
Top Bottom