Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Artificial Intelligence Developments (ChatGPT etc)

NYC AI Chatbot Touted by [mayor] Adams Tells Businesses to Break the Law

In October, New York City announced a plan to harness the power of artificial intelligence to improve the business of government. The announcement included a surprising centerpiece: an AI-powered chatbot that would provide New Yorkers with information on starting and operating a business in the city.

Five months after launch, it’s clear that while the bot appears authoritative, the information it provides on housing policy, worker rights, and rules for entrepreneurs is often incomplete and in worst-case scenarios “dangerously inaccurate,” as one local housing policy expert told The Markup.
[...]
The bot, for example, said it was legal to lock out a tenant, and that “there are no restrictions on the amount of rent that you can charge a residential tenant.” [...] The bot said it was fine to take workers’ tips [...]

One small note on the page says that it “may occasionally produce incorrect, harmful or biased content,” but there’s no way for an average user to know whether what they’re reading is false. A sentence also suggests users verify answers with links provided by the chatbot, although in practice it often provides answers without any links.
[...]
A Microsoft spokesperson declined to comment or answer questions about the company’s role in building the bot.

So what we're going to end up with is good looking people in music videos, who can't sing but have had their vocals manipulated (if they sing at all) to make it sound like they can sing? I think we reached and breached that stage a long time ago. This just seems like a natural progression.

So what we're going to end up with is good looking people in music videos, who can't sing but have had their vocals manipulated (if they sing at all) to make it sound like they can sing? I think we reached and breached that stage a long time ago. This just seems like a natural progression.
Someone in the comments said the overuse of auto tune has people sounding like robots, and now we have invented a way for robots to sound like people.

Strange lot, humans.

Tbf I could see this on a CEO's mood board:

If any should escape above me
Beg and cheat until they trust me
Drag them down to be damned with me
Laugh at them as they forgive me

MIT License as a sad girl piano song
Beware, it's an earworm...

I made my new rainbow wookiee badge thingy, on that NightCafe. It's proper addictive. 😝

I can't see any problems with this AI explosion by the way, not for artists, not for musicians, it is in no way a substantial game changer of quite scary proportions, nope.

🫠

Something big expected from OpenAI today. As far as I know, they've never done a big announcement like this before: They usually just release something by linking to it on Twitter/their website.

This time they have a live stream and have been hyping it up for a week or so.

There's been lots of speculation, but most things I've read are predicting some kind of audio/voice model. Possibly agentic workflows. Maybe both.

Sam Altman said this:

And an OpenAI engineer who works on audio has changed his profile pic to a screenshot from Her:

1715590314653.png

Here's the livestream link:

OK, so I just skimmed the announcement.

1. ChatGPT is now free for everyone (the best model, previously it was always the slightly older one you got for free).
2. It does real time voice, with a creepy Scarlett Johansson sound-alike. It's very annoying.
3. It can do real time video, too. Pretty cool.

Overall, I expected more, but it's not bad.

OK, so I just skimmed the announcement.

1. ChatGPT is now free for everyone (the best model, previously it was always the slightly older one you got for free).
2. It does real time voice, with a creepy Scarlett Johansson sound-alike. It's very annoying.
3. It can do real time video, too. Pretty cool.

Overall, I expected more, but it's not bad.
Free is good 👍

Apparently it's good at text now (as in outputting it). That's one area that the image models have been pretty poor, so looking forward to trying that.

Anyone else been offered Gemini in the UK yet? Anyone gone for it? Worth it?

I had an offer across the top of my Gmail inbox earlier so I clicked YES to see how much it is etc as they're offering 2 months free.

I know the advanced version wasn't available in the UK at the same time as the USA but was able to get Gemini (not advanced) working on my phone by visiting https://gemini.google.com/app after the play store told me I was unable to download the app

Anyway - any thoughts? Experiences? Is advanced worth it?
The free version seemed to do and react pretty much the same to my prompts as other Ai nonsense.

Is it really worth £20-ish a month for a 'normal' person who isn't using Ai in their work to speed stuff up for them??

1716306959797.png

Talk by Meredith Whittaker (site in German but the article text is in English.)

So why, then, is AI everywhere now? Or, why did it crop up in the last decade as the big new thing? The answer to that question is to face the toxic surveillance business model – and the big tech monopolies that built their empires on top of this model.
[...]
the Clinton administration laid down the rules of the road for the profit-driven internet in 1996 [...] First, even though they were warned by advocates and agencies within their own government about the privacy and civil liberties concerns that rampant data collection across insecure networks would produce, they put NO restrictions on commercial surveillance. [...] Second, they explicitly endorsed advertising as the business model of the commercial internet – fulfilling the wishes of advertisers who already dominated print and TV media.

On this toxic foundation, over the course of the 2000s, the Big Tech platforms established themselves through search, social media, marketplaces, ad exchanges, and much more. They invested in research and development to enable faster and bigger data collection, processing, and to build and maximize computational infrastructures and techniques that could facilitate such collection and ‘use’ of data.

What we call AI today grew out of this toxic model – and must be understood primarily as a way of marketing the derivatives of mass surveillance and concentrated platform and computational power. Currently, there are only a small handful of firms – based in the US and China – who have the resources to create and deploy large-scale AI from start to finish. These are the cloud and platform monopolies – those that established themselves early on the backs of the surveillance business model.

So I recently decided to put ChatGPT to use at something other than pratting about. I worked with the LLM to create a low-GI weekly lunch plan, one that requires minimal preparation as it is intended for my work days. After some iterations and alterations (mainly changing ingredients I don't like such as spinach), this was the result I was happy enough to buy the ingredients for:

Lunch Plan (Monday to Friday)

Monday: Lentil and Vegetable Salad
Ingredients:
  • Tinned cooked brown lentils
  • Cherry tomatoes (4+ days)
  • Cucumber (4+ days)
  • Bell pepper (5+ days)
  • Red onion (1+ weeks)
  • Feta cheese (28+ days)
  • Olive oil and lemon juice for dressing

Preparation:
1. Combine the cooked lentils with chopped vegetables and feta cheese.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice.
3. Toss and serve.

Tuesday: Lentil Soup with Broad Beans
Ingredients:
  • Vegetable broth [Tesco didn't have any so I substituted a can of beef broth]
  • Carrots
  • Bell pepper (5+ days)
  • Onion (1+ weeks)
  • Garlic
  • Broad beans (canned)
  • Olive oil
  • Thyme (jar)

Preparation:
1. Sauté onion, garlic, carrots, and bell pepper in olive oil until tender.
2. Add vegetable broth, pre-cooked lentils and thyme.
3. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, then add prepared broad beans until tender.
4. Serve warm.

Wednesday: Chicken and Avocado Wrap
Ingredients:
  • Whole wheat tortilla
  • Fajita-cooked chicken breast (6+ days)
  • Avocado (2+ weeks)
  • Lettuce (3+ days)
  • Tomato (3+ days)
  • Sour cream (1+ weeks)
  • Optional: Lime juice, fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley)

Preparation:
1. Lay out the whole wheat tortilla.
2. Spread sour cream.
3. Add sliced grilled chicken, avocado, lettuce, and tomato.
4. Optional: Drizzle with lime juice and sprinkle fresh herbs.
5. Roll up the wrap and enjoy.

Thursday: Chickpea Salad
Ingredients:
  • Canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
  • Red onion (1+ weeks)
  • Cucumber (4+ days)
  • Parsley (4+ days)

Preparation:
1. Combine chickpeas with chopped vegetables and parsley.
3. Toss and serve.

Friday: Egg and Veggie Stir-Fry with Broad Beans
Ingredients:
  • Eggs (1+ weeks)
  • Mixed fresh vegetables (4+ days)
  • Broad beans (canned)
  • Soy sauce
  • Olive oil

Preparation:
1. Sauté mixed vegetables (bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and broad beans) in olive oil until tender.
2. Push veggies to the side of the pan and scramble eggs on the other side.
3. Mix eggs with vegetables and add a splash of soy sauce.
4. Serve warm.

Shopping List

Grains and Legumes:
  • Pre-cooked lentils (or lentils to cook yourself)
  • Canned chickpeas (1 can)

Vegetables:
  • Cherry tomatoes (2 packs)
  • Cucumber (2)
  • Bell peppers (3-4)
  • Red onion (2)
  • Zucchini (1-2)
  • Carrots (4)
  • Broccoli (1 head)
  • Mixed vegetables for stir-fry (can use a pre-mixed pack for convenience)
  • Lettuce (1 head or pre-washed pack)
  • Avocado (2-3)
  • Garlic (1 bulb)
  • Broad beans (fresh or frozen, 2 packs)
  • Parsley (1 bunch)

Dairy:
  • Feta cheese (1 pack)
  • Sour cream (1 small tub)

Proteins:
  • Grilled chicken breast (prepare in advance or purchase pre-cooked)
  • Eggs (1 dozen)

Pantry Staples:
  • Whole wheat tortillas
  • Vegetable broth (1 carton)
  • Olive oil
  • Lemon juice (or fresh lemons, 2-3)
  • Soy sauce
  • Thyme (dried, optional)
  • Bay leaf (optional)
  • Fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, optional)
  • Salt and pepper

This revised lunch plan and shopping list will help you prepare and enjoy a variety of healthy, low-GI meals throughout the week, incorporating lentils and broad beans as requested. Enjoy your meals!

As someone who usually eats stuff like instant noodles, reheated bolognese or meatballs, tinned chilli con carne, and other questionable midday meal choices, that's a whole lot more fresh vegetables than I typically consume.

I've just had the lentil and vegetable salad for dinner as a kind of initial test run, with the addition of a scattering of dried basil for additional flavour. It was really good, gets two thumbs up from me. Although I guess it's pretty hard to fuck up a salad.

Would any humans like to comment on this lunch plan? Healthy eating is usually something that happens to other people.

So I recently decided to put ChatGPT to use at something other than pratting about. I worked with the LLM to create a low-GI weekly lunch plan, one that requires minimal preparation as it is intended for my work days. After some iterations and alterations (mainly changing ingredients I don't like such as spinach), this was the result I was happy enough to buy the ingredients for:

Lunch Plan (Monday to Friday)

Monday: Lentil and Vegetable Salad
Ingredients:
  • Cucumber (4+ days)
  • Bell pepper (5+ days)
  • Red onion (1+ weeks)
  • Feta cheese (28+ days)

Preparation:
1. Combine the cooked lentils with chopped vegetables and feta cheese.
3. Toss and serve.

Tuesday: Lentil Soup with Broad Beans
Ingredients:
  • Vegetable broth [Tesco didn't have any so I substituted a can of beef broth]
  • Carrots
  • Bell pepper (5+ days)
  • Onion (1+ weeks)
  • Garlic
  • Broad beans (canned)
  • Olive oil
  • Thyme (jar)

Preparation:
1. Sauté onion, garlic, carrots, and bell pepper in olive oil until tender.
2. Add vegetable broth, pre-cooked lentils and thyme.
3. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, then add prepared broad beans until tender.
4. Serve warm.

Wednesday: Chicken and Avocado Wrap
Ingredients:
  • Whole wheat tortilla
  • Fajita-cooked chicken breast (6+ days)
  • Avocado (2+ weeks)
  • Lettuce (3+ days)
  • Tomato (3+ days)
  • Sour cream (1+ weeks)
  • Optional: Lime juice, fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley)

Preparation:
1. Lay out the whole wheat tortilla.
2. Spread sour cream.
3. Add sliced grilled chicken, avocado, lettuce, and tomato.
4. Optional: Drizzle with lime juice and sprinkle fresh herbs.
5. Roll up the wrap and enjoy.

Thursday: Chickpea Salad
Ingredients:
  • Canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
  • Red onion (1+ weeks)
  • Cucumber (4+ days)
  • Parsley (4+ days)

Preparation:
1. Combine chickpeas with chopped vegetables and parsley.
3. Toss and serve.

Friday: Egg and Veggie Stir-Fry with Broad Beans
Ingredients:
  • Eggs (1+ weeks)
  • Mixed fresh vegetables (4+ days)
  • Broad beans (canned)
  • Soy sauce
  • Olive oil

Preparation:
1. Sauté mixed vegetables (bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, and broad beans) in olive oil until tender.
2. Push veggies to the side of the pan and scramble eggs on the other side.
3. Mix eggs with vegetables and add a splash of soy sauce.
4. Serve warm.

Shopping List

Grains and Legumes:
  • Pre-cooked lentils (or lentils to cook yourself)
  • Canned chickpeas (1 can)

Vegetables:
  • Cherry tomatoes (2 packs)
  • Cucumber (2)
  • Bell peppers (3-4)
  • Red onion (2)
  • Zucchini (1-2)
  • Carrots (4)
  • Broccoli (1 head)
  • Mixed vegetables for stir-fry (can use a pre-mixed pack for convenience)
  • Lettuce (1 head or pre-washed pack)
  • Avocado (2-3)
  • Garlic (1 bulb)
  • Broad beans (fresh or frozen, 2 packs)
  • Parsley (1 bunch)

Dairy:
  • Feta cheese (1 pack)
  • Sour cream (1 small tub)

Proteins:
  • Grilled chicken breast (prepare in advance or purchase pre-cooked)
  • Eggs (1 dozen)

Pantry Staples:
  • Whole wheat tortillas
  • Vegetable broth (1 carton)
  • Olive oil
  • Lemon juice (or fresh lemons, 2-3)
  • Soy sauce
  • Thyme (dried, optional)
  • Bay leaf (optional)
  • Fresh herbs (cilantro, parsley, optional)
  • Salt and pepper

This revised lunch plan and shopping list will help you prepare and enjoy a variety of healthy, low-GI meals throughout the week, incorporating lentils and broad beans as requested. Enjoy your meals!

As someone who usually eats stuff like instant noodles, reheated bolognese or meatballs, tinned chilli con carne, and other questionable midday meal choices, that's a whole lot more fresh vegetables than I typically consume.

I've just had the lentil and vegetable salad for dinner as a kind of initial test run, with the addition of a scattering of dried basil for additional flavour. It was really good, gets two thumbs up from me. Although I guess it's pretty hard to fuck up a salad.

Would any humans like to comment on this lunch plan? Healthy eating is usually something that happens to other people.
If you're eating a whole tin of pulses in one sitting 3 days a week I'm glad I don't share your office.

If you're eating a whole tin of pulses in one sitting 3 days a week I'm glad I don't share your office.

Well, I do work from home. What I ended up preparing looked too large to eat in one sitting, so I bunged half of it in a sealed container for tomorrow's breakfast.

When you say "a can of beef broth" do you mean literally a tin of soup labelled beef broth? Because broth in American is more like what we'd call stock in the UK.

Well I didn't know that. Bloody Yankee-doodles and their needlessly variant terminology. I chose to do the quantities by eye for this meal plan, so it doesn't matter for now, but since I'm moaning already what the fuck is a "cup"? Silly measurements.

I think that Wednesday and (especially) Thursday look like they will lack flavour. Wednesday needs something like finely chopped chilli, tomato and garlic (which will make the avocado more like guacamole). And definitely use the lime juice and herbs (cilantro is coriander, by the way).

Thursday is harder to rescue in one easy step. See what you think, though — you might yet like it all as is. The recipes aren’t going to be horrible or anything, just some of them are potentially dull.

I think that Wednesday and (especially) Thursday look like they will lack flavour. Wednesday needs something like finely chopped chilli, tomato and garlic (which will make the avocado more like guacamole). And definitely use the lime juice and herbs (cilantro is coriander, by the way).

Thursday is harder to rescue in one easy step. See what you think, though — you might yet like it all as is. The recipes aren’t going to be horrible or anything, just some of them are potentially dull.

I was feeling lazy, so for Wednesday's wraps instead of a whole avocado, I bought a small tub of smashed avocado which according to the label contains lime juice and chilli. Plus the sour cream I bought contains chives.

If the chickpea salad turns out to be too plain, then I can sprinkle some bacon bits over it.

I think that will be the case for all the pulse ones.

At least that means the money I spent will go further 👍

Back
Top Bottom