Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Artificial Intelligence Developments (ChatGPT etc)

I designed a document the other day using Midjourney for a pic. Would've taken me quite a long time to produce a very specific image - an F35 flying over a Ferrari F1 car on a runway with a control tower in the background. But no, 30 seconds later there it was. I got fussy and demanded a few clouds and some afterburners at photo quality. 30 seconds later....

it scares the shit out of me.

Front page of the FT today, Musk suing Open AI
complicated story but a thoery is it forces a jury to decide wether AGI has been reach

"Musk’s lawsuit alleges that OpenAI’s latest AI model, GPT4, released in March last year, breached the threshold for artificial general intelligence (AGI), at which computers function at or above the level of human intelligence.
The Microsoft deal only gives the tech giant a licence to OpenAI’s pre-AGI technology, the lawsuit said, and determining when this threshold is reached is key to Musk’s case.
The lawsuit seeks a court judgment over whether GPT4 should already be considered to be AGI, arguing that OpenAI’s board was “ill-equipped” to make such a determination."

...theres also some kind of talk about Q* , not-publicly available, which may also be at the root of triggerting the case .. .? If i understand that right. Im sure it will all become clear soon

Front page of the FT today, Musk suing Open AI
complicated story but a thoery is it forces a jury to decide wether AGI has been reach

I'm up in court for burglary next week but hopefully we should get a ruling on whether I'm spiderman.

FT: "The lawsuit seeks a court judgment over whether GPT4 should already be considered to be AGI, arguing that OpenAI’s board was “ill-equipped” to make such a determination."

The truth is the opposite of what's implied there. The board constantly spouts bullshit implying it's an intelligence. But their own engineers are far better equipped than a court to refute that.

Early experiments with GPT-4 [...] we discuss the challenges ahead for advancing towards deeper and more comprehensive versions of AGI, including the possible need for pursuing a new paradigm that moves beyond next-word prediction.
[...]
Loosely speaking, we can therefore see the drawbacks of the model as a combination of “naive” attention mistakes with more fundamental limitations due to its “linear thinking” as a next-token prediction machine
[...]
the model also has several substantial flaws, some of which seem to be inherent to the next-word prediction paradigm that underlies its architecture.

And of course it's in the interests of Musk, Altman and all the rest of them to get a ruling that gets this wrong.

Slight twisting of the truth there. The accusation was that a Stability employee or employees attempted a mass data extraction of image prompts, presumably to improve their own engine.

A Shocking Amount of the Web is Machine Translated: Insights from Multi-Way Parallelism

We show that content on the web is often translated into many languages, and the low quality of these multi-way translations indicates they were likely created using Machine Translation (MT). Multi-way parallel, machine generated content not only dominates the translations in lower resource languages; it also constitutes a large fraction of the total web content in those languages. We also find evidence of a selection bias in the type of content which is translated into many languages, consistent with low quality English content being translated en masse into many lower resource languages, via MT. Our work raises serious concerns about training models such as multilingual large language models on both monolingual and bilingual data scraped from the web.

Dialect prejudice predicts AI decisions about people’s character, employability, and criminality

Here, we demonstrate that language models embody covert racism in the form of dialect prejudice: we extend research showing that Americans hold raciolinguistic stereotypes about speakers of African American English and find that language models have the same prejudice, exhibiting covert stereotypes that are more negative than any human stereotypes about African Americans ever experimentally recorded, although closest to the ones from before the civil rights movement. By contrast, the language models' overt stereotypes about African Americans are much more positive. We demonstrate that dialect prejudice has the potential for harmful consequences by asking language models to make hypothetical decisions about people, based only on how they speak. Language models are more likely to suggest that speakers of African American English be assigned less prestigious jobs, be convicted of crimes, and be sentenced to death. Finally, we show that existing methods for alleviating racial bias in language models such as human feedback training do not mitigate the dialect prejudice, but can exacerbate the discrepancy between covert and overt stereotypes, by teaching language models to superficially conceal the racism that they maintain on a deeper level. Our findings have far-reaching implications for the fair and safe employment of language technology.

On another note. I used ChatGPT to analyse a heap of staff rosters and do a report including regarding fatigue pinch points and suggested alternatives. This was so well received that I have been told today I am getting out into a project team to overhaul the whole company’s Operational Workforce Management approach. No shifts, same money.

I may get found out though!

I have to deal with a lot of customer complaints. With ChatGPT I just write the essence and say make it nicer and polite. It does a fab job. I am getting praise for it.
I hope you’re not including any personal details, because it’s against data laws to transfer personal data to servers in the States.

I hope you’re not including any personal details, because it’s against data laws to transfer personal data to servers in the States.
Nah I anonymised all the details.

It was really good at the work though. Output in minutes and hardly any revision needed. I took a day off to work from home on it. Skive and kudos.

For an older member of the workforce like me , AI may get me crucial pay bumps over the last decade of working whilst doing less.

check the first two minutes of this demonstration of AI+Robot breakthrough

if it leaves you with lots of questions watch on as it explains exactly how its doing what its doing
very impressive

OK, this took less time than I thought. Check this out.

I didn't write the lyrics. Just used this prompt "A song about a guy called Ska who doesn't believe AI can make dance music".

It created the lyrics, song and video in under 2 minutes :bigeyes:

View attachment 404261
OK, this is getting very good now

The founders of Suno want to make it even easier to make music and for their to be thousands more music producers flooding streaming services with their music. This really is exactly the opposite of what should happen.

Last edited:
I am ringing the changes a bit.

I was a convinced Coke drinker but now I favour Pepsi Max.

I was a convinced Googler but now I am starting to prefer Bing.

Bing's Copilot is quite cool and seems integrated quite well into Bing Search.

Anyone else finding Google's SERPS not so clever these days?

I am ringing the changes a bit.

I was a convinced Coke drinker but now I favour Pepsi Max.

I was a convinced Googler but now I am starting to prefer Bing.

Bing's Copilot is quite cool and seems integrated quite well into Bing Search.

Anyone else finding Google's SERPS not so clever these days?

I'd quite like to like the new copilot windows app, but it's responses are noticable slower then chatgpt and that's annoying.

Back
Top Bottom