Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are there no meat-eating anarchists?

yeh that's what i'm asking. what are your grounds for saying that being vegan seems essential to any kind of radical anticapitalist approach. and approach to what?
That in my experience vegan seems an essential component of such a lifestyle; rejection of animal cruelty as its not necessary (they argue).

Like I said, repeatedly, it was experience as it seemed to me. You are free to disagree. It was never a statement of fact
yeh. and it seems to me that that experience is negligible as since 1990 i have met rather more omnivore anarchists than i have vegans. other people have reported the same thing. so i am not persuaded that your pov is as strongly based as you may believe.

To be an anarchist is to be against hierarchy. Eating animals is a clear sign that the meat-eater believes in some kind of hierarchy and therefore, though they may claim to be anarchist, they are not. For the same reason, someone who claims to be an anarchist but is not also a feminist, is not really a genuine anarchist as they probably don't really care about the struggle against patriarchy and about gender equality.

But perhaps there is potential for these people to change as time tick away, perhaps not.

That's how I see things anyway.

To be an anarchist is to be against hierarchy. Eating animals is a clear sign that the meat-eater believes in some kind of hierarchy and therefore, though they may claim to be anarchist, they are not. For the same reason, someone who claims to be an anarchist but is not also a feminist, is not really a genuine anarchist as they probably don't really care about the struggle against patriarchy and about gender equality.

But perhaps there is potential for these people to change as time tick away, perhaps not.

I disagree with your assertion that one cannot be an anarchist and a meat eater. For example, the person may simply not see the need to extend to non-human animals the same gains human society will make in the revolution.

Being vegan seems to be almost essential to an anarchist outlook or lifestyle? Or indeed any kind of radical anticapitalist approach.
All is not quite as it seems.
What about even getting rid of capitalist industrial agriculture and raising animals in their natural environment (which is healthy for the land)?
Contentious. Raising livestock to feed 7.4 billion people wouldn't be very healthy for the land.
I eat meat (to be clear, though i imagine that's fairly obvious at this point)
You're obviously not an anarchist then, by your lights.

All is not quite as it seems.

Contentious. Raising livestock to feed 7.4 billion people wouldn't be very healthy for the land.

You're obviously not an anarchist then, by your lights.

Why wouldn't it be healthy?

I make no claims to be anything other than anti capitalist. I like anarchist politics, but I don't pretend to be an expert

Why wouldn't it be healthy?

I make no claims to be anything other than anti capitalist. I like anarchist politics, but I don't pretend to be an expert

Even at non-Western levels of meat consumption, the amount of land that would be needed to feed enough livestock would mean goodbye to our rainforests, if non-intensive/"industrial" methods weren't used. A lack of forestation wouldn't be healthy because of far less CO2 conversion, less carbon-sinking and massive over-burdening of what little foliage was left. In other words, given current population levels, it'd be a quick way to send us all to hell. Of course, that would have the benefit of meaning that the land had a chance to recover, before the next bunch of humans evolved from the primordial ooze...

Even at non-Western levels of meat consumption, the amount of land that would be needed to feed enough livestock would mean goodbye to our rainforests, if non-intensive/"industrial" methods weren't used. A lack of forestation wouldn't be healthy because of far less CO2 conversion, less carbon-sinking and massive over-burdening of what little foliage was left. In other words, given current population levels, it'd be a quick way to send us all to hell. Of course, that would have the benefit of meaning that the land had a chance to recover, before the next bunch of humans evolved from the primordial ooze...
Do you have a citation for that?

Reactions: Sue
Do you have a citation for that?
I recommend Colin Tudge (2004) So Shall We Reap: how everyone who is liable to be born in the next ten thousand years could eat very well indeed; and why, in practice, our immediate descendants are likely to be in serious trouble.

It may be a decade and a half old now, but the premise is still correct: we have a certain area of useable arable land (0.22 hectares per person on the planet), which is enough to feed 5 times that number if used logically. I.e. Not over producing protein, wastefully, and from the wrong sources.

We can't assume that everyone in the world would eat meat, nor that western levels of consumption (or non western for that matter) are required.

Or that we haven't overpopulated this pale blue dot

I'm not sure i'd call the food chain a hierarchy, plus there are obvious and clear differences in the capacities of man and animal. I think the anarchist position is derived from justification of authority. Would you argue there shouldn't be a hierarchy between doctor and patient? What if the patient refused to innoculate their kids against easily preventable diseases for which science has working vaccines? That has obvious consequences.

Is it a hierarchy when the fox eats the chicken? Is a fox better than a chicken? THat's meaningless in the context of the animal kingdom.

Back
Top Bottom