Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Are sausages disgusting?

Stick to buying them from small quality butchers, they dont have the machinary to proccess the nasty stuff that can end up in mass produced cheaper supermarket versions. The worse thing that went into the mix at the shop i worked in as a lad were the cheeks. X

2221159014_858b775772.jpg

Grilled Pig Ears. (common Madrid tapa. Along with Callos a la madrileña - pig intestines)

Pigs ears are also a Chinese speciality. Very crunchy texture.

Really VP? Are you using that dried blood stuff?
Yep.
Tip: Remember to add water to the powdered blood, not powdered blood to the water. My first attempt was 50% clots. :oops: :D
I bought beef casings and the dried blood from here, and the barley, herbs, spices, seasonings and oatmeal from Baldwins and various health-food shops. They are successful enough that my wife, who formerly loathed black pudding, now loves them, and my dad (whom I supplied a couple to, frozen, last time I visited) now wants to make his own too. :)
Apparently Joe Public can buy bags of blood again now, albeit from certain (treated) sources.
All in all I find the powdered blood more convenient in terms of storage (and in using smaller quantities, so you can make batches with different levels of seasoning) than bags of "wet" blood, but maybe one day I'll try the "traditional" route!

I love sausages but have never been able to eat black pudding. I've tried many times I don't particularly like the flavour and after two or three mounthfuls, I've always gone "aaaargh!!! BLOOD" :eek:

What are those Irish sausages you see in the supermarket that are pale pink? they look a bit suspicious.....

I'd give pigs ears a go though. Probably a bit like pork scratchings. I imagine.

I was quite surprised that I liked black pudding when I first tried it, but then:

1. It was at St John and thus brilliantly prepared

2. Sliced very thin, so it was easy to eat

I loves sossijis tho, be they pork, beef, pork&beef, lamb, turkey, chicken or other more obscure bird meat (I've had pigeon sausage before - they are chipolata size), venison...hell if it once moved and had a pulse and you can sausage-ify it, I'll try it.

Yep.
Tip: Remember to add water to the powdered blood, not powdered blood to the water. My first attempt was 50% clots. :oops: :D
I bought beef casings and the dried blood from here, and the barley, herbs, spices, seasonings and oatmeal from Baldwins and various health-food shops. They are successful enough that my wife, who formerly loathed black pudding, now loves them, and my dad (whom I supplied a couple to, frozen, last time I visited) now wants to make his own too. :)

All in all I find the powdered blood more convenient in terms of storage (and in using smaller quantities, so you can make batches with different levels of seasoning) than bags of "wet" blood, but maybe one day I'll try the "traditional" route!
I'm not a massive fan of black pudding, but I almost want to give this a go now.

I was quite surprised that I liked black pudding when I first tried it, but then:

1. It was at St John and thus brilliantly prepared

2. Sliced very thin, so it was easy to eat

I loves sossijis tho, be they pork, beef, pork&beef, lamb, turkey, chicken or other more obscure bird meat (I've had pigeon sausage before - they are chipolata size), venison...hell if it once moved and had a pulse and you can sausage-ify it, I'll try it.
What's that place like? Nice?

Nothing wrong with good sausages, absolutely lovely. :cool:

But not the watery, nasty cheapy, supermarket budget packs.

Back
Top Bottom