Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Appliances in garages?

Thora

Differently Ethical
Can I put a tumble dryer and a fridge/freezer in a garage?

Moving to a new house with an integrated fridge freezer so we will have a spare one. There's one appliance space in the kitchen that I was thinking of putting a tumble dryer in, but there is already a integrated dishwasher so I am considering putting my current dishwasher in the space and having a two dishwasher kitchen.
However will still want a tumble dryer ideally so can I run one in the garage?

My brother has a fridge/freezer in his garage, and I can't see a problem with putting a tumble dryer in there too.

Can I put a tumble dryer and a fridge/freezer in a garage?

Moving to a new house with an integrated fridge freezer so we will have a spare one. There's one appliance space in the kitchen that I was thinking of putting a tumble dryer in, but there is already a integrated dishwasher so I am considering putting my current dishwasher in the space and having a two dishwasher kitchen.
However will still want a tumble dryer ideally so can I run one in the garage?

Yeah as long as there is power, should be grand, my brothers is in his garage. Mine is under the cupboard under the stairs and it's sooo noisy.

Some fridge freezers don't like the cold, so aren't suited to being outside. Though it'd depend how cold your garage is; we've had a few in a completely separate and 'well ventilated outbuilding, and some of them have struggled, but a well-insulated adjoining garage might be less of an issue.

Do tumble dryers work more efficiently in cooler spaces? Might be freezers. But I had a dryer in a shed for years with no problems. Next to a freezer too.
What intrigues me though - a two dishwasher kitchen? Is one of them going to function as a cupboard most of the time? Won't you get confused, or more importantly won't other helpful visitors put dirty plates in the 'clean' dishwasher?

I have a fridge and freezer in our garage - when it's freezing cold outside they barely use any electricity. Often the garage is colder than the interior of the fridge!

Make sure a competent electrician has checked and/or installed the garage's electricity supply though.

For fridge-freezer it depends on temp of garage (no idea if same for tumble dryer as I've not looked into it). Some f-f's will specifically say they can be kept in a garage - if not, check that you're still covered by any warranty if anything goes wrong.

Vented tumble dryers work great in a garage, condenser or heat pump tumble dryers are less efficient and use lots more power when the ambient air temperature is below 10 degrees centigrade.

If your garage is built in to your house you won’t be able to use a vented one though.

I have a fridge and freezer in my garage.

The garage is separate to the house but is kind of semi-detached with the neighbours double garage.

Do tumble dryers work more efficiently in cooler spaces? Might be freezers. But I had a dryer in a shed for years with no problems. Next to a freezer too.
What intrigues me though - a two dishwasher kitchen? Is one of them going to function as a cupboard most of the time? Won't you get confused, or more importantly won't other helpful visitors put dirty plates in the 'clean' dishwasher?
Yes, basically a cupboard :D

Fridges and freezers have a minimum running external temperature - check that then check your local weather.

My brother has a fridge/freezer in his garage, and I can't see a problem with putting a tumble dryer in there too.
Will your brother be happy to have Thora's tumble dryer in his garage and for them to bring all their laundry round every time they want to dry it?

I can see that becoming a bit inconvenient for all concerned, TBH

Health and safety hat on. Probably the Safest place for a tumble drier.

saves on pesky noise when you are watching the tellybox

I wouldn't worry about a chest freezer in a garage. It was commonplace in Canada, and winters are obviously much harsher there.

Tumble dryer depends on the type. Your standard resistive one doesn't really care where you put it. If it's an efficient heat pump unit, it will lose efficiency (use more power) in the winter compared to being indoors. Though I imagine it would still use less energy than the traditional type.

Most cheap tumble dryers heat up a resistive coil with electricity to generate heat and blow air over that. This is why they're such a great fire hazard and drink electricity.
The newer, more expensive type uses a heat pump. Which is somewhat akin to a dehumidifier. It takes a lot longer to dry your clothes, but uses about 1/3 the electricity. This type won't fare so well in the cold, as the heat builds up very gradually and is helped immensely by indoors temperatures.

Friends of mine have fridge freezers, washing machines, and driers in their garages. There's no problems with this.

I have an upright freezer in the garage, been there for about 15 years at least and it works fine, during winter it barely uses any power at all.

Various members of my extended family have had a very wide range of appliances in garages or outbuildings.

Currently, we have our spare fridge and two small chest freezers we "inherited" in an outbuilding. They have been exceptionally useful over the past 18 months ! So glad that we had hung onto them, as they had been booked in for "disposal" ...

My late MIL had an ancient, noisy and rather small tumble dryer in their garage for many years. And it still worked, although it was a bit temperamental.

My fridge freezer has a switch in it that you're supposed to flip if the ambient temperature is below I think 16 degrees. I don't know what it actually does.

Back
Top Bottom