Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone worked as an Emergency Care Support Worker (Ambulance service)?

Kind of shitting myself even more.

So license is off with the DVLA and I've found a school to train with. Earliest he could get me is a 7th October theory and then he'll doing the training and practical in that same week which means I'll make the deadline (although it turns out they got the deadline date wrong at interview and its the 11th Oct, not 14th...... still do able though).

However I've only got two days leave, which isn't enough time to do the practical driving lessons and test, so I have to beg work to give me some unpaid time off, whilst simultaneously handing in my resignation.... And then if I fail it, I won't have enough time to re-take, so I'll be jobless and £1k in the hole for a failed C1 license.

Kind of shitting myself even more.

So license is off with the DVLA and I've found a school to train with. Earliest he could get me is a 7th October theory and then he'll doing the training and practical in that same week which means I'll make the deadline (although it turns out they got the deadline date wrong at interview and its the 11th Oct, not 14th...... still do able though).

However I've only got two days leave, which isn't enough time to do the practical driving lessons and test, so I have to beg work to give me some unpaid time off, whilst simultaneously handing in my resignation.... And then if I fail it, I won't have enough time to re-take, so I'll be jobless and £1k in the hole for a failed C1 license.

Or you could just do nothing and stay in your boring job that you hate.

Yes good luck:) Worth the risk imo.
Also you have experience of driving LWB vehicles don't you? If so you will have an advantage.

Oh sim667 very best to you. Could be brilliant. Ambulance crews have tried to talk me into it but I don't have the guts and I'm too comfortable as I am. Go for it. Good luck. :):thumbs:

I'd bet my back teeth that now you've got the nod they'll take you without the cat 1 as long as you're working on it.

There is unfortunately a cut off date, if you don't have it by that date, no job...... They said they can bend to a day or so leeway. But they were very straight up saying it needs to be done.

Reactions: LDC
When I applied to LAS they gave you 5 weeks from the start of the course to get a full licence. That was paramedic I imagine your role is largely driving.

I'd bet my back teeth that now you've got the nod they'll take you without the cat 1 as long as you're working on it.

They're really, really strict with the driving generally. Plenty of people wanting the job and it's a risk that you'll never get it.

When I applied to LAS they gave you 5 weeks from the start of the course to get a full licence. That was paramedic I imagine your role is largely driving.

Yeah, driving, stocking the ambulance, paperwork...... but its a route in and they say they look to train people as an AAP after 3-4 years and a paramedic after 7-8 years...... So if in 7-8 years time I can do paramedic training, then I may consider looking at going into diver medical after.

Thats a long way off yet though, small steps. At the minute, I've had enough of being in an office, in IT, making software so that hugely rich companies can lay off staff and become even more insanely rich, with no career progression unless I start commuting...... I've been a trainee for nearly 5 years. Fuck that shit.

I bet the pathway is quicker than that for someone into it. I might even see you at work, we have ambos in all the time!

Any NHS types got suggestions about useful things I should think about getting? A fob watch for example? I doubt I'll be allowed to wear a watch... IIRC there's a nothing below the elbows policy for most ambulance workers, including sleeves.

I was thinking about making sure my glasses perscription is up to date and possibly getting photochromatic glasses if I'm driving for work.

Any NHS types got suggestions about useful things I should think about getting? A fob watch for example? I doubt I'll be allowed to wear a watch... IIRC there's a nothing below the elbows policy for most ambulance workers, including sleeves.

I was thinking about making sure my glasses perscription is up to date and possibly getting photochromatic glasses if I'm driving for work.

Not loads of pouches. One maximum. Weirdos cover their belts in pouches. Yeah, you have to be bare below the elbows, so no watch. Fob watch is fine but they get lost easily so don't bother getting a nice one.

Good socks and boots (although you might want to see if they give them, or what ones are best to buy). A flask for hot drinks in the truck. Most of things you'll be given or work out as you go along.

Good luck!

Not loads of pouches. One maximum. Weirdos cover their belts in pouches. Yeah, you have to be bare below the elbows, so no watch. Fob watch is fine but they get lost easily so don't bother getting a nice one.

Good socks and boots (although you might want to see if they give them, or what ones are best to buy). A flask for hot drinks in the truck. Most of things you'll be given or work out as you go along.

Good luck!

I know they give us a utility belt but they said no-one wears them..... I guess they'll got into a bit more detail about that when I start getting some experience on my training.

Yeah I'm not going to get an expensive fob watch...... I was thinking about getting a fob strap for my apple watch, but tbh I run the risk of getting it covered in all sorts of stuff.

We're issued boots and only allowed to wear our own on the basis of medical exception.

Alcohol gel-a lititle one for your pocket. Lots of pens. Small note book. They will give you everything else.

I gave up with fob watches as I kept washing them by accident. I use my phone or the clock in the room.
Tip: tympanic thermometers have a timer on them...

Alcohol gel-a lititle one for your pocket. Lots of pens. Small note book. They will give you everything else.

I gave up with fob watches as I kept washing them by accident. I use my phone or the clock in the room.
Tip: tympanic thermometers have a timer on them...
Ill give the watch a go, I do wear a watch.

I've seen alcohol gel that hangs off your belt loop, I did wonder if they'd give us that though.

It was actually really good to be reminded how to drive like you were taught. I think over the last couple of days there's been things I've caught in blind spot checks and mirrors that had the potential to be accidents, and maybe I haven't realised before.

It'd probably be worth having mandatory refresher training really. I have to do mandatory refresher training for things like safeguarding due to changes to the law etc.

Back
Top Bottom