Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone have experience of dyeing leather?

lizzieloo

Numpty extraordinaire
R.I.P.
I was given a pair of birkenstocks, they're dead comfy and not something I can afford to go out and buy but they're white, I'm not keen on white shoes.

I want to dye them, probably red. Anyone have any experience? Any tips? Recommendations of products?

Have been looking at these kits

Leather Dye Kits

I dye anything that sits still long enough :D

There are two main types :
- the 'paint' type that sits on the surface (Dylon/Easydye) and can be used to change even dark shades light if you wish, and can be used on 'finished' leather which looks coated (like Dr Martens, polished shoes etc)
- the 'soaking in' type which can only make light shades darker, and is used for 'unfinished' leather like matte brown Birkenstocks, for example. I used Fiebings to dye my brown clog-style Birkenstocks a purply wine colour.

So the leather finish is important. Are your white ones smooth or shiny? It feels like the Dylon/Easydye type might work ok if they are 'coated' leather, but because it's effectively a paint, it can rub off in areas like buckles, and won't last for ever. You'll need to follow the prep instructions to the letter, too. If you're just after a cheap and cheerful transformation that doesn't have to look perfect for ever, it should do nicely.

They're finished, not shiny but not raw.

I've had a read, you can get a product that takes off the finish first, I think if I use the kind of dye that just coats them rather than penetrates the leather they'd look rubbish within hours of me wearing them because I'm a clumsy oaf :D

Can you recommend any makes of that kind of dye?

Fiebings are just about the best non-commercial - i.e. "made for industry" dyes you can get. If lizzieloo uses their finish stripper first (which she should), then she should use it in a well-ventilated area, as it's very strong, and can get you off your noodle if you inhale the fumes too heavily. Fiebings also do matte and gloss finishes for dyed leather that will seal the colour against moisture and provide scuff protection.

I love Fiebings. Their Deglazer takes the finish off, but I'd try it on a small bit first, to make sure it doesn't wreck the surface. There's a place in Newcastle that sells most of the Fiebings range on eBay.

Fiebings are just about the best non-commercial - i.e. "made for industry" dyes you can get. If lizzieloo uses their finish stripper first (which she should), then she should use it in a well-ventilated area, as it's very strong, and can get you off your noodle if you inhale the fumes too heavily. Fiebings also do matte and gloss finishes for dyed leather that will seal the colour against moisture and provide scuff protection.

I love Fiebings. Their Deglazer takes the finish off, but I'd try it on a small bit first, to make sure it doesn't wreck the surface. There's a place in Newcastle that sells most of the Fiebings range on eBay.

Worth a go, even if the surface gets spoilt, freebies plus I don't wear them anyway now because the surface is white :D

Thanks for the advice :cool:

That's them :D
We have a Urban Secret Leather Dyeing Clique :D

Back in the '80s and '90s, I used to use Pearce-Tandy, but their stock was usually out of stock, so I started using Le Prevo in the late '90s, back before they went online. :D

I do various bits of leatherwork, from belt and strap-making, to occasional forays into small case making and renovation of old camera cases etc. It's just such a lovely material to work with!

Back
Top Bottom