Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone familiar with North Norfolk?

Use yer GPS and drive in a series of loops, say one down to Wyn'dom, go one way out and another back, keeping off the "main" roads.
Or head for the North & Mid-Norfolk Railways. Also, the Bure Valley is good, if you like 15" lines. (Not sure if the Middy is open, the other two are).

Last trip down there, we had a drive as Church spotting day out - even some little hamlets have massive churches, all to do with the wool trade.

Oh yes, some of the churches in Norfolk are magnificent. There are a few which have pre-Reformation features as well, since they were sufficiently remote that no-one bothered to come and rip them down. My brother got married in Barton Turf church, which still has its rood screen, albeit with the faces of the most Catholic orders of angels gouged out:

iu

Since you mention Wymondham, it's a pretty town but I don't think I'd go out of my way to visit. There's a good little museum there and the abbey is impressive, and of course it's at one end of the Mid-Norfolk Railway, but that's about all.

There's a bubble car museum just across into Lincolnshire where you'll also find the BBMF, Tattershall castle, the Kinema in the Woods. The hotel where the Dambuster squadron used to billet does a good lunch, and if you're lucky you might even get a BBMF flypast.

There's a bubble car museum just across into Lincolnshire where you'll also find the BBMF, Tattershall castle, the Kinema in the Woods. The hotel where the Dambuster squadron used to billet does a good lunch, and if you're lucky you might even get a BBMF flypast.

Coningsby also up the road from :

Almost thirty years ago, six of us hired a boat and spent a week on the Norfolk Broads. We were absolutely wasted for the whole week, and the only bit of it I remember is my mate grounding the boat and the rest of us throwing him overboard. Oh, and the scenery was nice, I think.

Almost thirty years ago, six of us hired a boat and spent a week on the Norfolk Broads. We were absolutely wasted for the whole week, and the only bit of it I remember is my mate grounding the boat and the rest of us throwing him overboard. Oh, and the scenery was nice, I think.
I spent a week getting drunk in S Norfolk. As a result I failed my RAF officer selection. I arrived 24 hours late and badly hungover.

Much the same here; a dozen of us in summer 1998. Highlights of the week included me squashing the landlord's rowing boat twice whilst turning round outside the pub in Horning, nearly getting swept out to sea in Yarmouth harbour, scoring a load of weed off one of the boatyard workers because we'd run out, getting banned from at least two pubs, one of my mates who was into fishing leaving the lid off the maggots (they weren't sterile: flies everywhere), and an elderly local bloke called Roger a couple of us got chatting with whilst he was trying to start his boat late at night by the pub in Potter Heigham. Eventually he gave up and said, 'There's only one thing to do in this situation, lads: roll a joint!' Then it started working again, so about three of us ended up taking this surreal jaunt round the Broads in this old bloke's boat, smoking really good dope and drinking beer until about 3am. Happy memories...

Tbh some of what we did was quite dangerous, in retrospect, and I can see why the boat-hire companies are less keen on lads' holiday parties than they used to be.

Last edited:
I've rowed an old lifeboat in the Broads - we also nearly missed our mooring in Yarmouth - if we had done so, we might have ended up in Breydon Water a day early ...
some pics here :-

Sheringham has better ice cream, better views of wind farms, better views of itself from adjacent hills, better beaches, better beach huts, better concrete sea walls and better fishing boats.

Cromer probably has better crabs but do you really want to eat boiled alive crusty sea spiders?

It's south Norfolk really but you're on holiday so worth a trip to the Geldeston Locks Inn, tragically up for sale now so you can stick a tenner in the community buy out bucket, it probably won't be running this time of year but they used to run a little ferry from Beccles pier in the summer, the ferryman was smoking a fat spliff last time I got it.

Winter solstice there is fucking mental, proper weird Norfolk - or ?? Suffolk maybe, think Beccles might be?.

Much the same here; a dozen of us in summer 1998. Highlights of the week included me squashing the landlord's rowing boat twice whilst turning round outside the pub in Horning, nearly getting swept out to see in Yarmouth harbour, scoring a load of weed off one of the boatyard workers because we'd run out, getting banned from at least two pubs, one of my mates who was into fishing leaving the lid off the maggots (they weren't sterile: flies everywhere), and an elderly local bloke called Roger a couple of us got chatting with whilst he was trying to start his boat late at night by the pub in Potter Heigham. Eventually he gave up and said, 'There's only one thing to do in this situation, lads: roll a joint!' Then it started working again, so about three of us ended up taking this surreal jaunt round the Broads in this old bloke's boat, smoking really good dope and drinking beer until about 3am. Happy memories...

Tbh some of what we did was quite dangerous, in retrospect, and I can see why the boat-hire companies are less keen on lads' holiday parties than they used to be.
You just reminded me... The lad who grounded the boat, as a punishment we put him in a dinghy and towed him behind the boat for 24 hours, and occasionally threw some food at him.

Sheringham has better ice cream, better views of wind farms, better views of itself from adjacent hills, better beaches, better beach huts, better concrete sea walls and better fishing boats.

Cromer probably has better crabs but do you really want to eat boiled alive crusty sea spiders?

agreed. I had some nice holidays in that part of the world, particularly Sheringham when I was a kid.

Go and watch the seals at Blakeney Point. From later this month they'll spend much of their time ashore having their pups.

Take a steam engine trip on the North Norfolk Railway.

Visit the Neolithic flint mines at Grimes Graves.

Go to the giant rookery at Buckenham just before sunset - an astonishing spectacle as thousands and thousands of rooks return to roost.

Go to Hunstanton at sunset so you can say you have watched the sun set into the sea from an East coast town. It’s ok but nothing more apart from that.

Wells is nice. Bit Chelsea on Sea but worth a morning or afternoon.

Not North Norfolk but if you have time get an electric day boat for the afternoon from one of the yards round Potter Heigham. Martham Ferry are one ( you can also get diesel ones but they aren’t as nice, or, if you can sail, you can get a half decker from Martham Boats).

In Walsingham, there is a catholic shrine and pilgrimage destination, a little like you might expect to find in Italy or Spain, but in Norfolk. You can buy all sorts of pilgrimage/religious nonsense in the shops in the village.

Again a longer drive but Burgh Castle near Yarmouth/Gorelston are the best preserved Roman walls in the UK. I’d probably avoid the two towns though - although Gorelston beach is nice and the Merrivale model village is ace - if you like model villages.

A couple of decent ( provincial) restaurants in Yarmouth. Yankee Traveler, Lek Thai and the downstairs restaurant at the Imperial Hotel. Not worth the drive from North Norfolk alone though-.given their provincial nature.

If you get a really shit day for the weather Norwich Castle is a good half day out and Norwich a pretty nice provincial city.

I don’t know how much the COVID restrictions affect pubs in the area. But on your way home The Swan at Hillborough, just outside Swaffham on the Thetford road does excellent food. I’ve eaten there many times and never been disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom