Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

any women here visit the shimmy club?

Thanks for posting the article, Pickman's model.

I'd heard about and luckily have never been there. Seems that as teenagers use the club for their under-18 events, that's been more of a driver in getting this mirror taken down rather than the fact that any woman using the facility was potentially a target for leering drunk men.

Interesting how such predatory behaviour is once again dismissed by the club's owners as 'just a bit of fun'.

Place has been shutdown for a week but why only a week? Didn't read article. I won't click and up the revenue for a rag.

the article is weird. Isn't it just an invasion of privacy full stop, to whomever is being watched by whoever is doing the watching?

"The board ruled the two-way mirror put teenaged girls at risk – because the Shimmy holds under-18 discos which teenagers can attend without their parents, and risked "predatory behaviour" by drunk male customers against both women customers and children"

:hmm:

drunk "predator" or not, minor or not, isn't it simply illegal to put cameras or two-way mirrors in bathrooms or changing rooms?

drunk "predator" or not, minor or not, isn't it simply illegal to put cameras or two-way mirrors in bathrooms or changing rooms?

I'm afraid its not.

The ICO guidelines on cameras are clear though - Cameras should not be installed in changing rooms or toilets without very serious cause – and if they do, signs must make it very clear that CCTV is covering those areas. No idea about two way mirrors though as I don't think they come under the ICO?

I'm afraid its not.

The ICO guidelines on cameras are clear though - Cameras should not be installed in changing rooms or toilets without very serious cause – and if they do, signs must make it very clear that CCTV is covering those areas. No idea about two way mirrors though as I don't think they come under the ICO?

One would hope so...maybe this case will set a precedent?

I'm afraid its not.

They are there to prevent drug dealing/taking, officer. (Can't help thinking about that bloke at Leveson who said "privacy is for peado's")

Wasn't there a big story from the UK about CCTV in toilets at some schools a while back?

Yes, I think I remember that but you are right, premisis owners have all sorts of excuses to get-off on this one. Same with shops who put cameras in changing rooms and toilets "to prevent shoplifting and staff pilfering" :(

I have a memory of reading something a while back that suggested that the ICO might only consider the use of cameras in toilets/changing rooms reasonable where there was an established problem that had resisted other methods eg lighting, sticky surfaces, bogtrolls etc and the police had actually advised them to but things change/I may not remembering correctly?

Place has been shutdown for a week but why only a week? Didn't read article. I won't click and up the revenue for a rag.

Shut down for a week to remove the mirrors. Owners had been previously warned to install signs so that customers knew of the two-way mirror before entering the bathroom. A spot check found no evidence of signs so they have been shut down and told to remove the mirrors.

Back
Top Bottom