Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Any Warhammer 40k ( tabletop) players on here

I used to play Fantasy, my main army were the Bretonians but I dabbled in chaos too. I find myself browsing the Games workshop website occasionally and I'm horrified by the prices.

I wonder if it would be insane to try and do this. It could be a community programming project. Would GM come round our houses and kill us?

Its been done for battletech and other similar hex based games, they also support play by email. It would be a lot more difficult to do for GW as the playing area is not standardised.

I have a re-occurring dream where I go to the games workshop and buy lots of miniatures. I've checked the loft and the cupboard under the stairs and I'm certain it IS a dream.

Its been done for battletech and other similar hex based games, they also support play by email. It would be a lot more difficult to do for GW as the playing area is not standardised.
Shouldn't be a problem - just give the option to play on a number of different sized "tables"

The only major issue I can think of (I'm only familiar with fantasy btw) is how you would do charge distance estimating, which is a huge part of the game.

I'm playing against Space Wolves and I have the choice between a Grey Knight army or a Necron army. Advice pls.

I wonder if it would be insane to try and do this. It could be a community programming project. Would GM come round our houses and kill us?

With extreme prejudice then Matt ward would poo on your corpse*

*he's just that sort of perverted neck beard :)

I'm playing against Space Wolves and I have the choice between a Grey Knight army or a Necron army. Advice pls.

If you field the Knights you have a psyker heavy strike force that will have similar stats and access to wargear/weapons as the space Wolves, although iirc the Wolves will have access to a deal of fast strike and run units.

The Knights should be your choice if you expect to get units into a toe to toe with the Wolf troops. I never saw necrons fielded but reading of them does not give me vast confidence in the ability to stand in direct combat with the Wolves. He'll draw them in, smash them to pieces and then when the turns are finished youll be left with no win and lots of fail.

Hence you should go with the Marines

Theres two versions of Space Hulk, one with an engine so crappy it looks like it was ripped off from Ultima: The Stygian Abyss and one which is top down and better.

There is also the Warhammer fantasy game Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Vengeance of the Blood Angels was about as well

I reckon the best two were Chaos Gate (40k) and Dark Omen (Warhammer). Especially the latter.

In fact, anyone else play/still play these? I'd love to get my hands on a copy again.

Because of this thread I have been entertaining ideas of geting back into this. I really enjoyed chopping arms and legs of miniatures and re-glueing and painting them when I was about 13. But my god it's expensive. The paint is unbelievable! I have been doing some internet research into cheap alternatives. I have found you can get a lot of stuff 2nd hand off ebay. My studies have also led me to believe that they are about to bring out 6th edition 40k so as soon as I get everything it will go out of date. Its not like thats ever happend in 40k before.

So I am going to pick up some cheap paint off the internet and have a go. I it goes well I may invest in Black Reach and then paint that. Then it can sit on a shelf for 2-3years until I can con someone into playing a game.

If you're feeling adventurous you could even try a different system. I never played 40K but I used to enjoy Stargrunt. The official miniatures for that are comparable in price but you use much fewer on the battlefield, maybe 18 guys a side. Plus they have a space communist army.

If you're feeling adventurous you could even try a different system. I never played 40K but I used to enjoy Stargrunt. The official miniatures for that are comparable in price but you use much fewer on the battlefield, maybe 18 guys a side. Plus they have a space communist army.

Mutant Chronicles were easy to paint because they were rough hewn and badly sculpted

crossingthenerdline.jpg

not too shabby for the first minatures I have painted in approx 20 YEARS!!

I have a re-occurring dream where I go to the games workshop and buy lots of miniatures. I've checked the loft and the cupboard under the stairs and I'm certain it IS a dream.
I have bought some miniatures. And I painted them. It was quite an enjoyable experience. I could even post a photo....
crossingthenerdline.jpg

not too shabby for the first minatures I have painted in approx 20 YEARS!!
Dreams come true!

I reckon the best two were Chaos Gate (40k) and Dark Omen (Warhammer). Especially the latter.

In fact, anyone else play/still play these? I'd love to get my hands on a copy again.

I sold my copy of dark omen on ebay just before Xmas. Before it went I had a quick blast, it was still great. So.. check on ebay is my advice.

Back
Top Bottom