Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Angel pub on Coldharbour Lane becomes arty community space run by Brick Box

Heading to @BrixtonSplash today? Check out the art, performance, and the best jerk chicken in town at 354 Coldharbour Lane ITS FREE ENTRY!! -- The Brick Box Ladies (@thebrickbox)

They even had a sign up outside saying that when I passed on the way into Brixton around mid afternoon. It seemed to have disappeared when I went back past an hour or two ago though.

So the sign I made for them only lasted a few days.

Seems I wasted my time trying to help them. Or perhaps they really don't want locals to know what's going on or get involved.

That might also explain why their evening events never even have a poster or an A board outside advertising what's on, with the only sign of activity being the security guard patrolled, dark side entrance. Not exactly welcoming.

I don't know why I bother
hitchhikers_tv_7.jpg

I walked past the pub last night with several women from the residents association, all long term residents - and if you think I'm not too keen on what's been going on there, you should have heard them! They were scathing about what's happened to the pub.

"Why are they trying to make the place look so bad?"
"Why are they trying to drag the area down with all this horrible graffiti?"
"Why don't they paint all this rubbish in the village instead"
"Why have they never spoken to us - we're the community, aren't we?"
"Who are these people? Why is the pub never open anymore?"

Etc etc.

PS My poster seems to have inexpicably vanished forever now, so I think even its staunchest defenders must realise now that the people involved really aren't that interested in getting the local community involved.

No one I know in the block even saw the proposal that was stuck on a bit of A4 inside the window in tiny writing. I really think that premises should be compelled to at least stick a few notices to lampposts when they were (originally) asking for something as drastic as a near 24-hour/7day a week music and drink licence.

This is standard practise for licensing. A small official notice on premises is all that is required.

Planning applications have notice and also nearby properties get sent a letter (usually). I think the same should apply to license applications. People often do not notice the small notices put up.

Friday evening - the music was pumping when I went past to go to the Beehive at 10.30 pm and even more so on the way back home at 11.30 pm. Not a connoisseur of anything bland (except Philip Glass) I struggle to identify the genre, but is seemed to be some sort of progressive rock type stuff.
There were assorted smokers (and a white photographer with a snazzy looking camera) outside milling about. Sort of representative of our new Brixton-chic multi ethnic edginess.
There was a portly (and comely) security guard virtually blocking the side entrance. The main doors of the pub were rattling violently. I was glad not to be inside - the sound level outside was more than enough for me. In fact one wonders whether the Noisy Party people might have been called by residents of the Viaduct (back side).
I did go into the 414 Club once (in 1997) and was amazed at how their sound proofing blocks the high level decibellage from leaking outside. No such measures at the Angel - but then they only have it until next month - or so some artist type assured me at the London Community Foundation funding seminar at the Karibu last Wednesday. Not sure how in touch with reality he was because he went on to tell me that the landlords were demolishing it (which is impossible given their planning applications - unless the latest one which I have not yet studied is designed to upset the council as well as the residents).
The same guy - tall mixed race person with a fruity Yorkshire accent, said he was from Sheffield, had told me in the queue for food that he was a Conservative (which caused my eyebrows to rise invisibly).
He then went on in the briefing session about Grant Panel Protocol to tell several black women round the table that they were suffering from transference and had fallen in love with their oppressors.
Naturally I queried this "Are you a Marxist Conservative then? - you said you were a Conservative!"
"You heard that" was his only response to me.
I guess he is a performance artist.
I attended the Yoruba art exhibition last Sunday afternoon. The main exhibit was a statue of a person called Rihanna, with whom I am unfamiliar. She was looking like one of those Benin Bronzes they had at the Nigerian exhibition at the British Museum a couple of years ago. Probably fake bronze I should think.
Mr Sheffield Conservative Marxist asked if I liked it - but I managed to switch deftly to another topic.
I thought the exhibition was actually a bit thin - the works of art were apparently for sale - but unpriced. The most interesting exhibit for me was what looked like a photo of the young Mohammed Ali (or possibly Cassius Clay) posing with some Nigerian-dressed people in front of what seemed to be an African house. Looked for all the world like something produced by Magnum. As it might well have been.

Hey teuchter: if you were sincere and enthusiastic about trying to get locals involved in a 'community' project, how would you advertise it?

(a) stick up large posters all round the building, being sure to place several on the façade that faces the very busy street outside, guaranteeing that passers by will see it?
(b) put just the one poster up in a semi-obscured alcove as far away from the main road as possible, in a very quiet side street where very few people walk by?
or maybe, even....
(c) open up the windows, open up the doors and invite people in to get involved?

I don't think it's the greatest work of art ever, but I don't find it especially offensive, seeing as it's only temporary. I'd rather that than a boarded-up building. Having done what they have done, I can see why they wouldn't then want to plaster it with posters.

As for the other questions... we've been over them hundreds of times already on this thread.

There clearly isn't a huge effort to involve the "local" community. As I've said already, if their aim is to heavily involve local residents then they are not going about it very well. However, I do think this criticism is based on a bit of a false premise. What "community" means exactly is open to interpretation; clearly you and others want it in this case to mean the geographically local community. They may have a more flexible definition of the word. Personally, I find "community" to have become a somewhat meaningless word, it's so overused.

I don't think it's the greatest work of art ever, but I don't find it especially offensive, seeing as it's only temporary. I'd rather that than a boarded-up building. Having done what they have done, I can see why they wouldn't then want to plaster it with posters.
It was never "boarded up" and I don't know anyone who thinks it represents an improvement to the area (see Resident Association's comments above). It's an ugly eyesore.

But you'd have no objection at all if the house opposite yours was covered in this scrawl in the name of 'community' art, yes?

Reactions: CH1
It was never "boarded up" and I don't know anyone who thinks it represents an improvement to the area (see Resident Association's comments above). It's an ugly eyesore.

But you'd have no objection at all if the house opposite yours was covered in this scrawl in the name of 'community' art, yes?

No, I wouldn't have a particular objection. If it was permanent, maybe I would. I'd rather that than the badly painted scraggly hoarding that is opposite my house.

To state the obvious, whether something's an eyesore is subjective.

I was thinking about the Nuclear Dawn mural just down the road. I actually don't think it's great as a piece of art. But I know some people like it. If I was the only person in London then I wouldn't choose to look out on it. However, this is a city with lots of people who like different things, and I don't expect everything I see on the streets to be fully to my personal taste.

Why don't they just paint the place up nicely, open the windows, make it look cool - it's a great spot. Are they sitting in there behind desks, what's going on?
The Shoreditch ladies sit in there on their iMacs - like the Three Norns in Götterdämmerung.
They are weaving the rope of Destiny (I'm sure that has a German name - but does not spring to mind). According to a novel someone gave me called "The Way of the Wyrd" the Saxons used to get up to this too. It goes back a long way.
They are neutralising the bad vibes from me and the Editor - via iMac!

I don't think it's the greatest work of art ever
Rachel Heywood has promised me a site visit to the car wash this afternoon - I will get her view (artistically speaking of course).
Did anyone think to notify our carbuncle-hating heir to the throne?

NB The council took no chances when the torch went through - they put a blue tarpaulin up

If you were honest, you'd admit that the tarpaulin went up because you'd bunged some money to the council.
It's one thing to suggest that someone may not be entirely honest when they've giving an opinion on art, but it's quite another to allege corruption and bribery involving the council.

What do you think of the Nuclear Dawn mural editor?
I know you didn't ask ME - but I wanted you to know I have a poster of the original version with Maggie, John Nott, David Steel and David Owen in the bunker.
It hangs proudly on my kitchen wall in an alcove next to the fridge. On the opposite wall is another poster - "Solidarity" from the ITF (International Transport Workers Federation). Nice sailors and ships and things in Soviet realist style.

Back
Top Bottom