Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amsterdam

I went a few years ago when a friend was working there. We enjoyed doing a pedalo tour around the canals, I hit a few museums - the Rijksmuseum and another one which I’ve forgotten the name of while friend was working.

Eat some bitterballen, they were lovely.

Also went to the space centre as a kid, remember enjoying that lots. Not sure where it is in relation to Amsterdam. Enjoyed Leiden on what was probably the same family holiday.

You can’t go without seeing the Rijksmuseum- I spent a whole day Opening to closing times there after the refurb- but the OP did say no drugs, prostitution or museums…
Also, there's a (pricey but excellent, michelin starred) restaurant called RIJKS© :rolleyes: attached. You can get lunch there without having to remortgage though you need to book a long way ahead. It's fantastic if you like that kind of thing.

You can’t go without seeing the Rijksmuseum- I spent a whole day Opening to closing times there after the refurb- but the OP did say no drugs, prostitution or museums…

I would imagine that they are still cleaning/restoring 'The Night Watch'. It is being done in situ because it is too big to move.

I'm off for a mates birthday (he lives out there now) and Kings Day.

Should I bring euros with me?

Is Androidpay accepted (and will I get rinsed on the exchange rate).

I'm sort of assuming Kings Day is going to be like Carnival so the usual rules apply (i.e. don't drink beer/cider, drink spirits, carry bottled water, don't go around with a super annoying backpack). Also a lot more Eurodance cheese, rather than decent roots/reggae on the music front. But any tips/things not to do.

Have a look at the Stayok in Amsterdam Oost.

Amsterdam has a problem with lack of hotel rooms and the quality of them as you’ve found out. Airbnb is expensive because there was a huge crack down about 2 years ago so it’s hard to (legally) rent on Airbnb now.

It’s fairly unfriendly to wheelchairs too. As a 16th century city it’s to be expected so don’t let it put you off. Do plot your day a little bit before you go out. The museums and gallery’s will be fine but the older pubs and small businesses will be harder.

The Bastion at Overamstel is where we stay, 10 minutes walk to either Spaklerweg or Overamstel Metro stations.

I'm off for a mates birthday (he lives out there now) and Kings Day.

Should I bring euros with me?

Is Androidpay accepted (and will I get rinsed on the exchange rate).

I'm sort of assuming Kings Day is going to be like Carnival so the usual rules apply (i.e. don't drink beer/cider, drink spirits, carry bottled water, don't go around with a super annoying backpack). Also a lot more Eurodance cheese, rather than decent roots/reggae on the music front. But any tips/things not to do.
Amsterdam is rammed to the gills on King's Day.

We are not usually there at that time, as it is still a bit cold, but one year, by accident, we were.

The most bizarre thing occurred, it was about ten at night, we were at the top of the Damrak, and this guy stopped on a scooter, and had a few words with one of the crowd, then took off again. A dutch bloke beside me asked 'Do you know who that was?', it was Willem-Alexander, who is now King. We went back the following year as his mother was abdicating, so we stood in Dam Square and watched him being crowned on the big screen. All the world's dignitaries were there, but Charles and Camilla were the only ones who were booed. Don't know what he had done to upset the Dutch.

Amsterdam is rammed to the gills on King's Day.
Sure is + is nuts too. Amsterdam is a great friendly city the best of times but King's day (I've only been there for that celebratory day when it was Queen's day tho') is something else.

Hope you like Orange ohmyliver
Like any good Carnival just go with the flow.

It's always good to have some folding money and not sure about Androidpay.

Hope you have a great time :)

Sure is + is nuts too. Amsterdam is a great friendly city the best of times but King's day (I've only been there for that celebratory day when it was Queen's day tho') is something else.

Hope you like Orange ohmyliver
Like any good Carnival just go with the flow.

It's always good to have some folding money and not sure about Androidpay.

Hope you have a great time :)
Thanks, I’m sure I will.

I’m ginger, hopefully that’ll be orange enough …

I’ve going to Nottinghill for years, although Sunday rather than Monday these days because I’m old, and my tolerance for kids huffing nitrous and falling into me gets lower with each year.
Strangely I’m not that bothered about the coffee shops, as it’s all going to be artisanal hipster brain melt strains, rather than nicely balanced landrace stuff/charris/temple ball/etc grumbles in old man

Can anyone confirm that I'll get in okay just by flashing my covid status app on my phone? I've had original dose + 2 boosters.

Can anyone confirm that I'll get in okay just by flashing my covid status app on my phone? I've had original dose + 2 boosters.
Yes that’s all you need to show. Just been for the long weekend and (in fact) vax status wasn’t checked (but they can).

Edit to add - you do need to download official Covid vax pass but I guess you know that.

Anyway great trip with the teens. Stayed on a houseboat in the north western part on the IJ. Oddly (despite cycling everywhere in London for 30-odd years) this was the first time I’d hired bikes - was so good. Felt normal cycling everywhere rather than a freak as in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom