Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Amsterdam

A few moments after the photos above were taken I nearly got assaulted by a frothing, rage-filled homophobic brute.

Still, thanks to the aforementioned homophobic twat, I learnt a new word in Dutch.

When he came up to me all ready for fisticuffs, he kept shouting "flicker." I thought he may have been over enthusiastically promoting his flickr photo account, but in fact he was saying, 'flikker' which I later learnt meant 'faggot' or 'queer.'

He was holding a bag of chips which I really wanted to shove in his stupid face, but wiser council around me decided it was best to leave it.

Apart from that, Amsterdam was brilliant!

Sounds odd. Were you taking pics outside in the RLD? Might he have been a pimp and that triggered aggression? I was there with a married couple a few years back and she started filming while in the RLD, not pointing the camera at any windows, just filming straight ahead. Cue loads of sex workers suddenly battering on windows...

Have to say, I've walked through the RLD with various male and female pals and no-one's ever really found it uncomfortable, just a bit of a curiosity. I know bad things could be underpinning it all, but... The married couple and I went to a sex show there (her idea!) and there were as many women in the audience as men.

Sounds odd. Were you taking pics outside in the RLD? Might he have been a pimp and that triggered aggression? I was there with a married couple a few years back and she started filming while in the RLD, not pointing the camera at any windows, just filming straight ahead. Cue loads of sex workers suddenly battering on windows...

Have to say, I've walked through the RLD with various male and female pals and no-one's ever really found it uncomfortable, just a bit of a curiosity. I know bad things could be underpinning it all, but... The married couple and I went to a sex show there (her idea!) and there were as many women in the audience as men.
No, this happened some distance from the main drag, I only had my phone camera and I hadn't been taking any close up photos of the women. He was just a homophobic cunt. I still wished I'd rammed his chips in his bigoted stupid face, to be honest.

Some photos:

amsterdam-red-light-district-03.jpg

amsterdam-red-light-district-05.jpg

amsterdam-red-light-district-07.jpg

amsterdam-red-light-district-21.jpg

amsterdam-red-light-district-10.jpg

Amsterdam red light district, heavy metal Excalibur bar and the San Francisco nightpub – in photos

I've just booked me and Mrs R here on your recommendation while the Tiddler is away on a school camping trip in September.
Three nights in Amsterdam with no kids :D:cool::thumbs::weed::beer::oldthumbsup:
Nice :thumbs: funnily enough we didn't stay there when we went back in July, we stayed in Hotel The Exchange instead which is right smack bang on Damrak half way between the station and Dam square, mad mad rooms, ours was nuts, I'll post some photos in a bit.

As for Hotel V, the very best thing about it is the location, IMO anyway, but then we like the De Pijp area south of there (as you know) which is only a short walk, as it is to Leidseplein, the Museum area, Rembrandtplein, and if you've not been to the Albert Cuypmarkt before it's only a 2 min walk and brilliant.

There's a Cafe directly opposite the hotel called Cafe Kale and they have a lovely selection of food and booze (and 80s music) they have the nicest Bitterballen I've had in 'dam.

Another thing mate if you've never done it - hire a tandem to boot around Vondel, go for the 2 hour option and have a picnic and bifta in one of the many beautiful plot spots.

As a fellow cheese man, a few mins walk from the hotel (towards Rembrandtplein) is the cheese shop Kaashuis Tromp, I love it in there and they vacuum seal anything you buy, + further up and closer to the square is Boerejongens who have some of the best weed in the whole City.

Last edited:
Nice one, I'll look some of this stuff up on the map before we go.
Definitely want to have a boat tour or pilot your own boat too.
And the cheese shop, obv :)

Yes, just downloaded that, looks great. Was a bit concerned about getting lost and hammered on a boat :)

It’s hard to get lost to be fair, it can get scary tho’, especially when on the Amstel at first or the Open Havenfront with the big cruisers.

Meandering up through the RLD district at 6 km/h is a treat.

I am off to amsterdam on Saturday. Very excited, never been before. I am particully looking forward to going to febo and eating food out of a wall. It's quite embarrassing how excited I am about this tbh :oops:

Anyone know of any good veggie restaurants? Will mostly be eating cheap from supermarkets etc but have budgeted for one nice meal out :)

Lovely pics editor and sorry you met that dickhead. One reason that they get so funny about photos in the RLD is that many of the women who work in the windows will have family in other countries who are unaware of their work, so they are not keen to have pictures of themselves appear on the internet...

Lovely pics editor and sorry you met that dickhead. One reason that they get so funny about photos in the RLD is that many of the women who work in the windows will have family in other countries who are unaware of their work, so they are not keen to have pictures of themselves appear on the internet...
I made a very obvious point of not taking any close ups of the girls where the faces were recognisable - and I was nowhere near the strip when the chip-laden homophobic bell end turned up.

6 years since I was last in the Dam! Thinking of it as a potential destination for next year, but wouldn't mind stretching out my time in the Netherlands to stay in one or two other places. Recommendations?

I liked Leeuwarden. No tourists apart from a few Germans who go for the sailing.

There's an Escher museum in Den Haag. You can break your journey any number of times within 24 hours, so if you buy a rail ticket from Amsterdam to Rotterdam (say), you can stop off anywhere in between.

Last edited:
I haven't been for a few years but really liked the replica Dutch East India Company ship.

Back
Top Bottom