Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu dies aged 40

lomu.jpg

"The Muhammed Ali of rugby"

RIP.

What an incredible impact he made on rugby, he seemed like an unstoppable force of nature.

R.I.P.

The only Rugby player to have a video game dedicated to him that I can think of? This must be what 18 years ago? Playstation 1. Already a legend by the age of 22.

The intro was quality too :cool:

Don't have the slightest bit of interest in rugby.

But this lad was something special ... the way he bulldozed his way through the best teams and players at the 1995 rugby world cup was, probably, one of the greatest spectacles in sporting history.

So sad he is no longer with us.

Don't have the slightest bit of interest in rugby.

But this lad was something special ... the way he bulldozed his way through the best teams and players at the 1995 rugby world cup was, probably, one of the greatest spectacles in sporting history.

So sad he is no longer with us.
Those clips of him I posted up show precisely that. He was the first truly modern player in terms of strength, athleticism and skill. It's almost comedic watching him bounce the amateur-pro transition period players off him. Man against boys. I remember my incredulity at hearing about him - an 18 stone player (most locks were smaller back then), who played on the wing and could run the 100m in something like 0.4 off world record pace. I also remember some 'serious' articles in the press discussing whether he should be barred from competing due to the physical danger he posed to opposition players. Poor old Rory Underwood :cool:

Imo, he was the first superstar of the sport. The sort of player who transcends a sport and becomes a name and a face to the average Joe/Jolene on the street who has little or no interest in the sport in which they ply their trade - similar to, say, Armstrong in cycling*. And in doing so he basically dragged the game into the professional era.

While his bulk was one of his defining visual characteristics at a time when the sport was changing eras** and the average back was not much bigger than a bloke off the street, he was no average, tits-for-hands bosh merchant like, say, Bastareaud. The guy absolutely oozed skill and class. Even in *that* game against France in '99, his was one of the standout performances - I'll never forget the sight of Garbajosa basically choosing not to bother tackling him as Lomu went over for his second try. Two other tacklers just bounced of him, iirc.

Plus he always came across as a genuinely nice guy.

*In the sense of his fame transcending the sport. No other parallel intended.
**and Lomu was basically the prototype of the modern back, imo.

Those clips of him I posted up show precisely that. He was the first truly modern player in terms of strength, athleticism and skill. It's almost comedic watching him bounce the amateur-pro transition period players off him. Man against boys. I remember my incredulity at hearing about him - an 18 stone player (most locks were smaller back then), who played on the wing and could run the 100m in something like 0.4 off world record pace. I also remember some 'serious' articles in the press discussing whether he should be barred from competing due to the physical danger he posed to opposition players. Poor old Rory Underwood :cool:

There's been nothing like him.
He raised the bar and its remained the benchmark, ever since.

Really sad news. I remember thinking England might actually win the WC in 1995...until he showed up and played like a grown-up on a pitch of toddlers. And what's more everyone loved him for it. A true phenomenon, and by all accounts a sound guy. Feel so sorry for his wife and little lads, they're only 5 and 6 or something.

Rip .... wasn't interested in rugby but me and my mates (only into music and football) would always watch any game on the tv he was on..

My dad was a RFU coach and part of the build up to 1999 Woodward canvassed advice. His advice to him on Lomu was to play Tim Rodber on the wing or hire a sniper :D

Back
Top Bottom