Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu dies aged 40

editor

hiraethified
Bloody hell. Just 40 years old.

jonah-lomu-678047316.jpg

New Zealand is mourning one of its greatest sporting heroes after the former All Blacks player Jonah Lomu passed away unexpectedly in Auckland on Wednesday, aged 40.

John Mayhew, the former All Blacks doctor, confirmed the news on Wednesday morning.

“On behalf of the Lomu family, I can confirm that Jonah Lomu died this morning, most probably about 8 or 9 this morning” Mayhew said. “The family are obviously devastated, as are friends and acquaintances.

“The family have requested privacy at this stage, they are obviously going through a terrible time. It was totally unexpected. Jonah and his family arrived back from the United Kingdom last night and he suddenly died this morning.”

Lomu had suffered from health problems since his retirement from playing in 2002 due to the rare kidney disease, Nephrotic syndrome. He had been on dialysis treatment for the past 10 years.

All Blacks legend Jonah Lomu dies aged 40

RIP Jonah

So sad. What a legend. I didn't know about his kidney transplant and being on dialysis for 10 years.

40 is nothing, and yet he achieved so much in that short life. Perhaps the most famous rugby player ever? The youngest ever All Black selected for the World Cup in 95, and practically single handedly demolished England in the semi finals.

3 News said he'd only just flown in to Aukland from the UK last night and was dead just hours later in the morning :(

Jonah Lomu dies, aged 40

Last edited:
Oh shit. 40?! That's truly tragic. RIP.

I delivered a curry to him once.

I was expecting the Cardiff Blues player whose house it was to answer the door but it was Jonah.

He seemed quite amused by how shocked I was. My mouth was saying that's £25.60 but my brain and face were going fuck me its fucking Jonah Lomu!

He was a very big sports star growing up. In the Jordan, Tyson, Lara bracket. Only 40, fucking hell what a shame.

Just been watching highlight videos of him with a smile on my face. Sad he's gone, but happy that he was around.

Can remember watching the 95 world cup match against England as a kid at our local rugby club. After the match finished, all the kids went outside to play rugby pretending to be him. None of us cared that he single handedly destroyed 'our' side. That's how good he was :D

This has actually made me cry. Fucking hell Jonah. He was hoping to go to Rio next year as an ambassador for the inaugural Olympic 7s.

I'm genuinely shocked. I met him briefly last year and he was utterly charming, lovely bloke, talked to everyone for as long as he could, seemed like he was still surprised by all the attention :) We had no idea he was turning up; the kiwi girl in our party nearly wet herself. Frankly, so did I.

He spoke really movingly about his commitment to be as well as he could for his family. My heart goes out to them.

RIP. What a fucking shame. :(

No age at all.Remembered as a fierce-some Rugby player and the owner of a 160decibel in car sound system.RIP.

Gutting, great player as bendy says one of the greats.

Not much of a tribute but I'll be breaking out Jonah Lomu rugby for the Playstation.

never heard of it: "nephrotic syndrome" :confused::(

Its an incurable illness that is very rare. Something in the blood causes the kidneys to slowly calcify and turn to stone. Treatment is daily doses of Tachrilimus, which is a form of chemotherapy in powder form, and steroids. Relapses can happen. The treatment doesnt cure it but slows the calcification down until the chemo becomes more poisonous and finishes off the kidneys. A transplant can and does happen but the transplanted kidneys will be infected within 8 hours of transplant.

Its an incurable illness that is very rare. Something in the blood causes the kidneys to slowly calcify and turn to stone. Treatment is daily doses of Tachrilimus, which is a form of chemotherapy in powder form, and steroids. Relapses can happen. The treatment doesnt cure it but slows the calcification down until the chemo becomes more poisonous and finishes off the kidneys. A transplant can and does happen but the transplanted kidneys will be infected within 8 hours of transplant.
Jeeeeeeeeesus. Sorry to hear about your son, must be incredibly difficult to deal with.

I remember one commentator saying "He's got hold of Lomu and he's doing the only thing he can do: try to slow him down until reinforcements can arrive...!"

He was a magnificent man on and off the pitch: almost god-like.

Incredible player, I'm not a massive rugby fan but that 95 World Cup was exciting because of him, and I quite enjoyed seeing him steamroller over the England players - they had nothing on him :D

RIP.

Back
Top Bottom