Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

"Alex Salmond Plots His Next Moves Against the British State" (Newsweek)

danny la rouge

More like *fanny* la rouge!
http://www.newsweek.com/2014/11/21/...-next-moves-against-british-state-283751.html

salmond-cover.png

Ooh, "plotting" is it? Nice way to make someone sound sinister and criminal.

Still, that article isn't as bad as the headline. Not keen on this bit, though:

After receiving a few of these trademark Salmond stares whenever England or the English are mentioned, even the genteel surroundings of a Georgian drawing room in staunchly pro-union Edinburgh can feel like a dangerous place.

Dangerous place? :hmm: What, is he going to attack with a claymore? Ooh, the scariness! If Alex Salmond had anything against English people, he's hardly have survived doing his degree at St. Andrews, or being an M.P. at Westminster, and there probably wouldn't be English members of the SNP.

That sort of thing tends to suggest that the writer doesn't quite get it.

Edited to add Or perhaps the "stares" suggest Paddington Bear. But I do not know Alex Salmond's policy on marmalade sandwiches. Or, indeed, Nicola's Sturgeon's.

Salmond to run his fucking yap about nothing in London for a change

Alex Salmond has announced that he is to stand for election to Westminster, where he will continue to represent the people of Scotland with his own personal brand of meaningless, vacuous drivel.

The former First Minister, who led the SNP to victory in two Scottish Parliament elections, said he intended to hold the UK Government to account by continuing to refuse to answer any questions that are put to him and by droning on with thousands of hours of gormless and irrelevant patriotic rah-rah.

“At Westminster, I intend to stick up for Scottish causes and to pursue progressive politics with allies on issues like poverty and international matters, by representing the people of Scotland”, Salmond said.

Asked if there were any issues that he intended to press the new government on, Salmond said: “Scotland needs representatives who will press the new government on the issues that are vitally important to the people of Scotland.

“The SNP is now the largest party in Scotland and I will reflect the concerns of my fellow Scots by reminding this government that Scotland will not stand for policies that harm Scots and the interests of the people of Scotland.

“Scotland Scotland Scotland”, he added, in his inimitable style.

http://flyingrodent.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/the-rat-december-2014.html

Have we all seen this marvellous bit of Mail wailing?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ghtmare-scenario-facing-Britain-Election.html

Nicola Sturgeon, red in tooth and claw :D

As a friend of a friend elsewhere put it,
They're probably afraid that we'll ignore, belittle and patronise them before closing their steel, mining and shipbuilding industries, or using their natural resources to fight illegal wars, or maybe they're really scared that we will drive them from their lands into exile and use the land to raise sheep.

[/I]Or perhaps the "stares" suggest Paddington Bear. But I do not know Alex Salmond's policy on marmalade sandwiches. Or, indeed, Nicola's Sturgeon's.

QUOTE FROM CELYN ABOVE FRIVOLOUS COMMENT FROM ME BELOW

If the SNP go into coalition at Westminster breakfast preservative policy will clearly favour Dundee marmalade at the expense of Oxford Cut.

Tthere will no doubt also be pressure for the creature in question to change his name to Waverly Bear

Last edited:
Max Hastings seems a tiny bit upset.

(I suppose I must always be getting him mixed up with someone else, 'cos any time I see something by Max Hastings, I am usually thinking "oh, is he still around? Thought he was dead. Oh well".

tim, could I ask you to edit that post so as to split up the bit I said from the bit you said? No big problem - just a bit confusing. (On the other hand, as I'm trying to talk myself into going out to shops and making a list, this mention of marmalade is quite useful). :)

tim, could I ask you to edit that post so as to split up the bit I said from the bit you said? No big problem - just a bit confusing. (On the other hand, as I'm trying to talk myself into going out to shops and making a list, this mention of marmalade is quite useful). :)

Very confusing I agree. I wish I could work out how to do it easily from my phone. I shall do my best.

Nah, it's okay - those smartphone things are damn confusing. Forget I mentioned it, and Happy Saturday.)

Just started Salmond's referendum memoir/campaign diary, "The Dream Shall Never Die: 100 Days that Changed Scotland Forever".

Was interested to see if it offered any insights into the referendum, its successes and failures, and what he was thinking about the SNP poll surge and where next.

Not far in, but after the introductory section, once you get onto the campaign diary proper, it's a lot more lightweight than I was expecting. So far I'm not really learning anything I didn't already know, and I'm getting the sense that it's a highly edited version of what his real thoughts at the time might have been.

He turns out, from the introductory section, to be far more of a romantic nationalist than I'd realised, and his understanding of class seems limited to cultural aspects.

I'm hoping it picks up.

Back
Top Bottom