Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Advice needed - possible ID theft / benefit fraud

That's shit. Can he bung in a complaint about how shit and useless they are? Maybe rope in a councillor if the local ones are any good.

I got my friend’s (Green) councillors involved early on. They have an assigned officer who is helping me - she is good and is being very helpful but even with her help it is like wading through treacle. I’ve no doubt it will now be sorted but my god they are inflexible and rubbish (I also appreciate this will be of no surprise to people who deal with the system regularly).

I got my friend’s (Green) councillors involved early on. They have an assigned officer who is helping me - she is good and is being very helpful but even with her help it is like wading through treacle. I’ve no doubt it will now be sorted but my god they are inflexible and rubbish (I also appreciate this will be of no surprise to people who deal with the system regularly).
I would go back to Centre 70 (they kicked arse for me a few times in harder times and sometimes they have to give a few well-aimed kicks, one isn't enough).

I would go back to Centre 70 (they kicked arse for me a few times in harder times and sometimes they have to give a few well-aimed kicks, one isn't enough).
Just realised I never updated this thread - Centre 70 sorted out my friend brilliantly - turned out ‘someone’ has tried to make a UC claim in his name but couldn’t provide ID. Despite this, my friend had a UC claim open in his name which meant his HB stopped :facepalm:

Anyway it was eventually sorted out and he got his HB back and his rent paid.

Last edited:
Unfortunately he now has problems again. Lambeth sent his (by post) a request that he complete a review to see if he was still entitled to HB. He didn’t get the letter, or the two reminders. He then got the letter saying his HB has been stopped at which point he was in arrears. They are now threatening to evict.

Lambeth seem to be pushing him onto UC. Centre 70 have filed an appeal but it was rejected. They think he will succeed at tribunal but that could take months and in the meantime he will be at risk of eviction. His best bet might be to shift to UC therefore to get the rent paid.

Why the fuck are Lambeth relying on post for this sort of thing when they have his email? Am I being too cynical thinking it is deliberate?

Lambeth seem to be pushing him onto UC. Centre 70 have filed an appeal but it was rejected. They think he will succeed at tribunal but that could take months and in the meantime he will be at risk of eviction. His best bet might be to shift to UC therefore to get the rent paid.

Why the fuck are Lambeth relying on post for this sort of thing when they have his email? Am I being too cynical thinking it is deliberate?

You have to request paperless contact, it isn’t assumed. And I do appreciate the stupidity in that but there we go.

I don’t understand why they are shifting him across, he’s perfectly entitled to remain on HB. Evictions from a council property are slow and an existing appeal will stay any final decision. So the risk of him getting booted out is low. But I appreciate the stress may not feel manageable and he would prefer to just switch.

Unfortunately he now has problems again. Lambeth sent his (by post) a request that he complete a review to see if he was still entitled to HB. He didn’t get the letter, or the two reminders. He then got the letter saying his HB has been stopped at which point he was in arrears. They are now threatening to evict.
He seems to be getting a bigger problem with his post than many. This combined with the earlier events, which sound like they could have started as a result of theft of mail, may flag a pattern, possibly a bent postie on his round? Not sure if the old bill would investigate this or, more likely, the investigative branch of the Post office; probably the latter.

You have to request paperless contact, it isn’t assumed. And I do appreciate the stupidity in that but there we go.

I don’t understand why they are shifting him across, he’s perfectly entitled to remain on HB. Evictions from a council property are slow and an existing appeal will stay any final decision. So the risk of him getting booted out is low. But I appreciate the stress may not feel manageable and he would prefer to just switch.
I don’t know. He’s copied an email to me from the Lambeth Housing Support :)hmm:) Officer which is definitely pushing him to claim UC. I need to talk to Centre 70 again to work out what’s going on.

He seems to be getting a bigger problem with his post than many. This combined with the earlier events, which sound like they could have started as a result of theft of mail, may flag a pattern, possibly a bent postie on his round? Not sure if the old bill would investigate this or, more likely, the investigative branch of the Post office; probably the latter.
Thanks I hadn’t thought of that.

I don’t know. He’s copied an email to me from the Lambeth Housing Support :)hmm:) Officer which is definitely pushing him to claim UC. I need to talk to Centre 70 again to work out what’s going on.

They push because it is convenient for them, not because he legally must. I’m at a stonesetting but I will send you the legal stuff later :)

Winot

So, I have double checked and the government have decreed that everyone must move to UC from HB by 2025, so I am guessing what’s happened to him is a ‘managed migration’ - i.e. Lambeth have decided to start switching people over and he was one of them (this was paused during the pandemic). I am not up enough on HB regulations to make much more of a comment, other than if the support service think there’s grounds to challenge, then there must be, as they wouldn’t appeal otherwise. I expect the appeal is based on the fact it isn’t 2025 yet, and he does not meet any of the qualifying change in circumstances that warrant a definite switch (it’s things like moving to a different LA area, a partner moving out and the HB was in their name or an income change or earning over the threshold). But I can say with pretty strong confidence that the council should hold on eviction as long as they know an appeal has been launched, and even if they issue a notice, at court the judge wouldn’t rule until the Tribunal outcome has taken place. Your friend should though check whether it would look better for him to negotiate repayment (it can be as little as a couple of pounds a week) or whether to leave it because if the Tribunal is successful there may be backdated payments which he won’t see as it’ll go to the council.

Back
Top Bottom