Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Accused rapist Ched Evans to be released from prison

What criminal issues are there around normal drunken consensual sex?
None - that's why I said 'though I don't think the law actually does that'. I was just agreeing there's a sort of theoretical discussion that could be had about the status of consent between partners of differing levels of sobriety throughout an evening. However, I shoud have been clearer, I don't think that's the way to look at sexual politics or what actually happens in a sexual attack. It's decontextualised and ignores the power dynamic. It's also clearly not a useful way to think about this case in particular - and it's a line of argument that would (wrongly) strengthen the defence.

Edit: I was also pissed off by free spirit's references to 'puritanism'.

cmon, that's fair at least. only a joyless fanatic wouldn't shag a burd who was so drunk she'd pissed herself and didn't know way was up.

----
i wonder if there is a fighting fund to support the victim. she's already had to move and change her name to escape all the threats but Evans' partner has hired a PI to track her down and her new name has already been leaked to the internet. the message from society is pretty clear - if you're a victim of rape no-one gives a fuck. liberal lefties will wring their hands and talk about burden of proof, pretend that you weren't raped in a way that meets their terms of rape. tories will shrug because you were probably drunk and a slag and anyway the bloke in question makes plenty of money so it's more important that he gets out there and earns some more money to pay some more tax. it's a fucking load of shit. neckshots all round.

Last edited:
And this is exactly why prosecution should take place, even if the victim has withdrawn charges. Without that, being able to use intimidation as a tactic to harass victims would be even more popular.

With his current behaviour, I hope Evans' licence is revoked and the shit gets sent back down for his the full term.

Why has the miscarriage of justice review thing been accelerated? I heard it had been, but not even an attempt to justify it

I have no idea, but either way it's probably not something you'd admit to doing. Considering the amount of bullshit flying around this case it's made my eyebrow shoot up tbh.

Is that PI thing real? Where's that from? Surely that's massively criminal...
various reports mention his legal team hiring a PI - paid for by her father (eg http://www.theguardian.com/society/...-rape-resume-football-career-sheffield-united) One would hgave to assume that they are behind the leaking of the video thats on his defense site, and it would seem the most obvious source for the victims new name - altho it would be incredibly stupid, as it would surely lead to loss of license (at least) if it could be traced back to him

well I wasn't contesting that bit, the judge covered that bit adequately in his summing up, so the bit I quoted was the pertinent bit to the point I was making as it's what was missing from the judges summing up

fair enough, I may have mixed you up with someone else

again, had he said what? What i quoted him as saying?

here's the full direction (or at least all the direction included in the court of appeal decision to refuse leave to appeal)

Actually I was a bit wrong on this the court of appeal does seem to have covered this point, but decided it wasn't important.

Now to me, not clearly indicating the point that drunken consent is still actually consent was a pretty major omission in the summing up, given that it was really the point on which the entire trial hinged. Nothing in his summing up really covers this point in the way that the appeal court had described it in Bree, and that's why I've repeatedly referenced this specific line, as it's the salient point that was missing from the judges direction to the jury in this case.

Had I been in the jury and only seen the judges direction on this, I may well have felt I had to find him guilty if I thought she was drunk, regardless of whether she'd actually given her consent or not. Had I also been given the clear line quoted above, I'd have found him not guilty, as I'd have understood that the law allowed for drunken consent, rather than assuming that drunkeness in itself automatically removed the womans capacity to give her consent.

I'm really going to regret engaging with this, again. But, here goes...

It seems that your ever-shifting position has now alighted on the notion that the reason the outcome of this case was unsatisfactory is not because it means the court went beyond what parliament intended, or for any of the other spurious reasons you raised previously, but because, in your view, the judge's direction to the jury in this case was inconsistent with the direction given in Bree. And, as far as I can gather, your concern is that, in future, judges will adopt a wording similar to that in the Evans case, which, in your view, 'lowers the bar'.

Before I respond to that, does that accurately reflect your position?

It's really shitty, bullying behaviour to accuses anyone questioning it of being a rape apologist or worse - as both Athos and Ddraig did - implying that they are rapists themselves.

I didn't mean to imply that, and don't believe I did. I said I was suspicious of his motives for casting around for some legal basis upon which to defend this rapist; I am - I think they're borne of a profound misogyny.

Last edited:
I'm really going to regret engaging with this, again. But, here goes...

It seems that your ever-shifting position has now alighted on the notion that the reason the outcome of this case was unsatisfactory is not because it means the court went beyond what parliament intended, or for any of the other spurious reasons you raised previously, but because, in your view, the judge's direction to the jury in this case was inconsistent with the direction given in Bree. And, as far as I can gather, your concern is that, in future, judges will adopt a wording similar to that in the Evans case, which, in your view, 'lowers the bar'.

Before I respond to that, does that accurately reflect your position?
my core issue has remained the same from start to finish, this case seems to have lowered the bar at which drunken consent turns into rape compared to previous cases.

Beyond that I've then investigated the specifics of the case, and previous case law mainly due to being pushed into doing that by you in order to justify that position. Obviously during 2 days of investigating the specifics of the law, and previous cases under heavy attack, my understanding of the precise details of the situation and previous judgements etc changed a little, but I've not found anything, or been shown anything that changes my initial view of this that this case has dramatically changed the situation over what constitutes drunken consent vs someone not having the capacity to consent due to being drunk.

IMO this conviction was in large part based on the false assumption that because someone has a complete blank in their memory, then they automatically must have been too drunk to consent, and that it must also have been obvious that they were too drunk to consent.

This completely misunderstands how people can behave during periods of alcoholic blackout, and misses the point that she actually lost her memory at some point around the takeaway, where she spent an hour, but can barely remember any of it, then managed to get in the front of a taxi herself, walk into the hotel herself etc all while in the same alcoholic blackout state she was in when she can't remember if she consented to have sex with either guy or not.

En bloc memory impairments tend to have a distinct onset. It is usually less clear when these blackouts end because people typically fall asleep before they are over. Interestingly, people appear able to keep information active in short–term memory for at least a few seconds. As a result, they can often carry on conversations, drive automobiles, and engage in other complicated behaviors. Information pertaining to these events is simply not transferred into long–term storage
[source]
I've djed an entire 2 hour set while in almost complete alcoholic blackout, woken up the next day to complain about my tunes being all over the place to be asked if I didn't remember playing for a good 2 hours - djing takes a considerable degree of co-ordination, so I'm just giving that as an example of what I've personally done while in alcoholic blackout. It's about memory formation, not necessarily how co-ordinated or lucid someone might be / appear to be.

This quote illustrates why this is important, and why I've been saying all along that this judgement is dangerous, unsound law that potentially criminalises the regular drunken but consensual night time activities of fuckloads of young people (and not so young).
Fifty–one percent of the students who had ever consumed alcohol reported blacking out at some point in their lives, and 40 percent reported experiencing a blackout in the year before the survey. Of those who had consumed alcohol during the 2 weeks before the survey, 9.4 percent reported blacking out during this period. Students in the study reported that they later learned that they had participated in a wide range of events they did not remember, including such significant activities as vandalism, unprotected intercourse, driving an automobile, and spending money.

Reading the appeal court judgement, and the dismissal of the attempt by the defence to basically introduce this point at appeal via an expert witness saying the same thing, it's pretty clear that the defence in the original trial fucked this right up by attempting to state that the woman must have been lying and hadn't drunk enough to have got full memory blackout as she claims. That was bollocks, she'd drunk 8 shots of vodka in the space of 90 minutes, on top of 2 big glasses of wine earlier, which is easily enough in that short space of time to induce alcoholic blackout (note, this isn't different to my previous position, to me someone ending up in alcoholic blackout isn't particularly unusual for that type of night out, what I was disputing was that this was enough to make her obviously too drunk to consent).

The court of appeal judges refused leave to appeal on these grounds on the basis that this hadn't formed part of the direction of the judge to the jury, but that doesn't in any way mean that the jury didn't make their own judgements about what the implications were of her being too drunk to remember what happened, and the defence hadn't made the point to them that being in alcoholic blackout doesn't necessarily mean that someone can't still appear relatively coherent.

Unless people have experienced this situation themselves, they're probably not going to appreciate this distinction, and I can't see any way that this didn't inform the jury's decision making, probably made worse by the defence trying to paint her as a lier and effectively leaving the impression that if she wasn't lying then she was blacked out and by implication must have been incapable, otherwise why would the defence have not properly challenged it on that basis. At least that's how I'd have interpreted it if the defence had taken that line, and not challenged the notion that blackout doesn't necessarily equal obvious incoherence.

In a way, FS raises important general issues about the potential criminalisation of 'normal drunken (consensual) sex' - though I don't think the law actually does that. Trouble is he's profoundly wrong to suggest this case is about that or even close to it.
how does one tell whether a woman who appears fairly pissed, but still relatively coherent is actually in a state of alcoholic blackout and won't be able to recall if she'd consented or not in the morning?

I will acknowledge that the fact that the court of appeal refused leave to appeal on these grounds, because the judge himself hadn't mentioned this point in his summing up might mean that this case is more of a one off, and not necessarily precedent setting on this point, but it's taken a close reading of that judgement to work that out.

As well as the generally high bar in terms of getting a rape prosecution, it seems to me the prosecution faced a difficult job disentangling when her consent 'ran out' (from the first bloke) and then what state she was in with regard to being pissed. The thing is though, piecing all the evidence together, they did do that - the jury, seeing all the cctv, hearing the details, came to a clear conclusion. Yes, of course, juries get things wrong but I'm struggling to see any legal errors in this.
What cctv evidence was there of her state of drunkeness between the point that she consented to sex with the first person, and apparently was incapable of consenting to sex with the 2nd?

And perhaps more importantly, from a real world judgement of his behaviour, it's 100% clear the situation was set up to allow evans to have sex with her when she was at her most vulnerable. Both legally and morally he's gulity as fuck.
It's not 100% clear that this was the case at all, and to imply that is pretty libelous tbh against the other guy involved who you just accused of setting this situation up to allow his mate to rape this girl.

For a situation to have been set up like that it was pretty fucked up, given that he'd got split up from the first guy due to a mate getting into a fight and being nicked, and him going to the police station to try to get him out, then turned up at the hotel with his brother and a mate in tow (according to him, because they wanted to tell the other guy about their mate being nicked, though that bit is obviously impossible to verify)

That's a pretty elaborate set up just to end up having sex with a girl, when the guy could easily have just pulled a girl himself at any point that night if that was the aim of the night - successful footballers not being renowned for finding it hard to attract female attention on a night out.

Anything about this being equivalent to the 'normal' sexual politics and consensual encounters of a Friday night out, is just plain wrong.
people keep referring to this normal drunken sexual encounters.

Would this normal sex preclude say drunken 3somes, orgies..... the normality of the sex is not a matter for the court to decide, the only issue for the court to decide is whether or not it was consensual.

Here they ruled it was not consensual due to her being deemed to be too drunk to consent, and the accused knowing that she was too drunk to consent.

That's something that could potentially apply to any other drunken sexual situation that the police got involved in for whatever reason, given that the nature of the sexual encounter isn't a matter for the court to decide on, only the issue of consent.

Not sure you're sober enough to post that confused arrogant coked up someone elses money late night trash.

Or maybe you are.

Why don't you give him a job?
oh joy, butchers enters the thread with accusations of me being drunk and coked up on someone elses money.

you thought the bar of insults just hadn't been set low enough, so you'd best come in and really hit me where you think it might hurt eh.

fwiw, it must be at least 6 months since I last had any coke, and have barely done any for years, and even then it wasn't really my drug of choice, and if I'm not sober after 2 weeks without a drink, then my liver really must be fucked.

as for someone elses money.... I mostly tend to buy my own drinks thanks.

cmon, that's fair at least. only a joyless fanatic wouldn't shag a burd who was so drunk she'd pissed herself and didn't know way was up.

I thought it was pretty obvious that it was a facetious response to this bollocks that Lo Siento had posted as a general policy not specifically about this case, the clue being that I quoted the post in my response.

Like, if in doubt, just don't have sex. Having sex or not of an evening is not that important, roll over and go the fuck to sleep. Et voila, no rape trials.

Last edited:
oh joy, butchers enters the thread with accusations of me being drunk and coked up on someone elses money.

you thought the bar of insults just hadn't been set low enough, so you'd best come in and really hit me where you think it might hurt eh.

fwiw, it must be at least 6 months since I last had any coke, and have barely done any for years, and even then it wasn't really my drug of choice, and if I'm not sober after 2 weeks without a drink, then my liver really must be fucked.

as for someone elses money.... I mostly tend to buy my own drinks thanks.

Tbh you are happy enough to throw insults around...you implied I was so stupid you could draw it in crayons so I would understand so dont act the victim.

You draw up weird ideas about precedent thrown up by this case, claiming a the police could prosecute a pissed bloke for having a one night stand. Yet Evans didnt claim to be pissed. If I am wrong then why are you trusting anything he says?

You claim the law is wrong implying all men having consensual sex after they and the other person have been drinking face being charged with rape by the police without a shred of proof.

You imply he has been set up ... someone supporting your view mentioned mark duggan as an example of the police setting someone up and the jury making a wrong verdict due to misinformation and lies by the police. Mark Duggan had been shot dead in the street and a riot broke out which sparked off other riots. The police had a lot to lie about in order to protect themselves. That is the case in all the injustice cases and simply does not apply in this case.

You have made all sorts of inuendos against the woman ... claiming she werent that drunk (cos you watched some cctv) so presumerably you believe she lied when she says she had no memory of events.

You conveniently ignore his lies...glossing over them as though they have no baring on the case.

That is why people are judging you...your views and ideas about this case are horrible. And by the way your coke and drinking habits....seriously...you need to put them on a public forum to justify yourself? On this thread? Do you not consider how that looks?

... my initial view of this that this case has dramatically changed the situation over what constitutes drunken consent vs someone not having the capacity to consent due to being drunk.

No it hasn't. The distinction between drunkenness and incapacity was made clear in the judge's direction. This was one of the issues considered by the appeal court; they were satisfied that the judge's direction was entirely consistent with Bree. The law after this case remains the same as the law before it: drunk people can consent, but people who are so drunk as to lack capacity cannot.

IMO this conviction was in large part based on the false assumption that because someone has a complete blank in their memory, then they automatically must have been too drunk to consent, and that it must also have been obvious that they were too drunk to consent.

How can you have any idea what formed the basis of the jurors conclusion that she lacked the capacity to consent? They heard lots of evidence. You have no grounds to assert that their decision was based on a false assumption.

This quote illustrates why this is important, and why I've been saying all along that this judgement is dangerous, unsound law that potentially criminalises the regular drunken but consensual night time activities of fuckloads of young people (and not so young).

No it doesn't, because the law remains the same. The sort of people who continue to be criminalised are those who sneak into a bedroom to have sex with a girl who is so drunk that their friend has to tell the night porter to keep an eye on them, before sneaking out the back door. The sort of people who, as in this case, a jury find had no reasonable belief that their victim had consented to have sex with him. When two drunk (but not incapable) people fall into bed together and start to have sex, then, absent some other dodgy circumstances, there's no reason to suspect that they don't each believe the other consents to sex. That's why they're not being prosecuted.

Reading the appeal court judgement, and the dismissal of the attempt by the defence to basically introduce this point at appeal via an expert witness saying the same thing, it's pretty clear that the defence in the original trial fucked this right up by attempting to state that the woman must have been lying and hadn't drunk enough to have got full memory blackout as she claims. That was bollocks, she'd drunk 8 shots of vodka in the space of 90 minutes, on top of 2 big glasses of wine earlier, which is easily enough in that short space of time to induce alcoholic blackout (note, this isn't different to my previous position, to me someone ending up in alcoholic blackout isn't particularly unusual for that type of night out, what I was disputing was that this was enough to make her obviously too drunk to consent).

The court of appeal judges refused leave to appeal on these grounds on the basis that this hadn't formed part of the direction of the judge to the jury, but that doesn't in any way mean that the jury didn't make their own judgements about what the implications were of her being too drunk to remember what happened, and the defence hadn't made the point to them that being in alcoholic blackout doesn't necessarily mean that someone can't still appear relatively coherent.

Unless people have experienced this situation themselves, they're probably not going to appreciate this distinction, and I can't see any way that this didn't inform the jury's decision making, probably made worse by the defence trying to paint her as a lier and effectively leaving the impression that if she wasn't lying then she was blacked out and by implication must have been incapable, otherwise why would the defence have not properly challenged it on that basis. At least that's how I'd have interpreted it if the defence had taken that line, and not challenged the notion Thethat blackout doesn't necessarily equal obvious incoherence.

Juries make judgements based on their own experiences, and upon the evidence. If there is evidence of what you are saying about the effects of alcohol on memory, then the defence ought to have adduced that at the time. But, tactically, they opted for a different approach. In any event, in future cases with similar circumstances, it will remain a option for the defence to adduce such expert evidence.

So, given that: i. (as the Court of Appeal found) the judge's direction was consistent with Bree, such that the law around drunkenness and consent remains the same; ii. it remains an option for the defence in similar cases to adduce evidence as the the effects of alcohol on memory; and, iii. juries' verdicts do not make precedent, then there is no way in which this case can be considered to have 'lowered the bar' of what amounts to rape. Your central point is wrong.

This is borne out by the fact that, in the two and a half years since the prosecution we've not seen thousands of people criminalised for their run-of-the-mill drunken sex. To suggest that this would be the effect of the verdict in this case is nothing more than the oft-repeated misogynists' fear of tide of false allegations.

I know you've come in for a lot of stick on this thread, and I expect that has made you defensive, but it's really time for you to just admit you got it wrong - this case doesn't lower the bar, at all. If you want to say that you think the defence team didn't handle the case as well as they could have, or even that you think the jury got their assessment of the evidence wrong, then fine (although I happen to disagree with you), but please don't continue to assert that this case represents a change in the law.

Last edited:
I thought it was pretty obvious that it was a facetious response to this bollocks that Lo Siento had posted as a general policy not specifically about this case, the clue being that I quoted the post in my response.

I don't think repeating my quote and your pretty rank response to it does your argument the favour you think it does. "I have a doubt whether this person is capable of consent, but I'm going to press ahead with sex regardless" is not a good look.

That's a pretty elaborate set up just to end up having sex with a girl, when the guy could easily have just pulled a girl himself at any point that night if that was the aim of the night - successful footballers not being renowned for finding it hard to attract female attention on a night out.

and are you actually trying to suggest that men who are attractive enough to pull don't commit rape?

I think FS is trying to demonstrate that he knows nothing about men, women, rape, as well as the law (and the meaning of precedent)

he's nrepeating a particular idea is an unfortunately common rape myth. based on the idea (which i'm oversimplifying at this point) that all men who rape do so because they are an ugly bloke with no social skills and its the only way they can get sex. while some rapists fit that stereotype, there are others who appear to have everything and rape because they feel they are entitled to whatever they want.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/25/darren-sharper

I've just skimmed though that link and it seems to cover some of this in a different case relatively well. a successful attractive man, accused of drugging and raping multiple women, with a history of entitled behavior.

he's nrepeating a particular idea is an unfortunately common rape myth. based on the idea (which i'm oversimplifying at this point) that all men who rape do so because they are an ugly bloke with no social skills and its the only way they can get sex. while some rapists fit that stereotype, there are others who appear to have everything and rape because they feel they are entitled to whatever they want.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/06/25/darren-sharper

I've just skimmed though that link and it seems to cover some of this in a different case relatively well. a successful attractive man, accused of drugging and raping multiple women, with a history of entitled behavior.
Oh yes. he is completely ignoring/ignorant of the fact that there are a whole subset of sexual predators whose modus operandi is precisely this kind of sexual exploitation - finding a drunk girl, on her own, stumbling out of a club, and following/giving a lift to them until they are all nice and alone. At which point....

Oh yes. he is completely ignoring/ignorant of the fact that there are a whole subset of sexual predators whose modus operandi is precisely this kind of sexual exploitation - finding a drunk girl, on her own, stumbling out of a club, and following/giving a lift to them until they are all nice and alone. At which point....

i have discussed before, that this isn't an uncommon situation in 'aquaintance rape'. the freind/colleague who takes the drunk woman home at the end of a night either to get access to her, or believes his 'protection' of her entitles him to her body.

Back
Top Bottom