Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A thread for music that is religious or spiritual

Here's a little video essay about Jewish religious singer Hazzan Elliot Portner. There's a rather rambling interview but where he sings it's breathtaking. Out of this world.

This version of the Carol ‘While Shepherds Watched’ is the one I grew up with and sang at school. I always love hearing it and joining with the descants a bit piecemeal

Gregorian chant is hypnotic. Heard in person, it's far moreso. I've only heard it in person a couple of times and I think, if I make a bucket list, hearing it again will be on the list.

This never fails to make me cry. It's in Aramaic, and is unusual for having a girl sing the main parts. The song is beautiful, but this particular rendition, with the small girl and the old men, elevates it. (It's mislabelled - it's not Our Father, it's a different hymn).

If you look at the comments, it's all "this converted me," and "this shows the beauty of God," but to me it's people creating beauty, no God needed.

Last edited:
This never fails to make me cry. It's in Aramaic, and is unusual for having a girl sing the main parts. The song is beautiful, but this particular rendition, with the small girl and the old men, elevates it. (It's mislabelled - it's not Our Father, it's a different hymn).

If you look at the comments, it's all "this converted me," and "this shows the beauty of God," but to me it's people creating beauty, no God needed.

Oh yes, good call. I was going to post this one too. Some beautiful versions out there.

Your link doesn’t work for me though.

This may be contentious but I find a lot of Jesus Christ Superstar very moving. Might be because I was taken to see it live when I was very young and it had a profound effect on me.

Bach wrote some of the most stunning and moving music ever inspired by religion. My choir was rehearsing this as my grandfather lay dying in hospital and even though I'm totally atheist every time we sang the bit about 'I wait for the Lord, my soul waits' that really got to me

Here's a little video essay about Jewish religious singer Hazzan Elliot Portner. There's a rather rambling interview but where he sings it's breathtaking. Out of this world.

you may also like this which unfortunately I can't find on the web.

i was in a boy choir, when I was a boy, and sang lots of SATB, but you don't have to be catholic to do that

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom