Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A particularly tough question about Loughborough Junction railway station history

I'm sure its been covered somewhere on here before but when and why did Brixton cease to be a stop on the Loughborough Junction/Clapham High St line ? It would be very useful to have access to that essentially east/west rail route.

I'm sure its been covered somewhere on here before but when and why did Brixton cease to be a stop on the Loughborough Junction/Clapham High St line ? It would be very useful to have access to that essentially east/west rail route.
Closed in 1976 due to general disrepair and steep decline in passengers after opening of Victoria line.
Thread on East Brixton station:
East Brixton station: abandoned station
Thread on potential Brixton Overground stations:
NO Brixton East London line station

This bit still baffles me. Anyone remember what it was used for and what it's used for now (view form Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough House to the left)?

ljinc.jpg

This bit still baffles me. Anyone remember what it was used for and what it's used for now (view form Coldharbour Lane, Loughborough House to the left)?

possibly access to the up platform on the 'cambria' curve, but the platforms on the curve closed 1925 so not sure anyone here's going to remember.

disused stations is a bit vague about station building/s.

looks like there might have been a ticket office or entrance in the arch on the flaxman road side although more passengers would have been going towards central london than towards peckham rye so a convenient entrance for them might well have been in the plan.

the history of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway doesn't say much about the station buildings.

It does however mention a minor claim to fame of the line round from Loughborough Junction to Cambria Road Junction (where it joins the Brixton - Peckham Rye line) was the first in the world to have 'lock and block' signalling (where the signals are interlocked with the telegraph instruments between the signal boxes) installed, in 1875.

Here's an interesting web page

The original ‘Loughborough Road’ station entrance
Before its rebuild in the early 1870s, the train station existed as “Loughborough Road” with a platform on each side of the viaduct running alongside Rathgar Road. It can be seen in the 1864 and 1870 versions of the model in the main images at the top of this page. The platform on the north side of the viaduct was accessed via a pathway that ran from Loughborough Road, along the side of the viaduct, to a set of stairs. The platform on the south side – sitting above Rathgar Road – seems to have been accessed via a stairway contained in a brick building near to the Rathgar Rd / Coldharbour Lane corner. It is likely that this building was part of the same structure that formed the brick built colonnade which supported the platform. At this stage I have not been able to find any photographs of that colonnade, but the stairway building is just visible in a few images. It’s likely that this building also housed the original ticket office and main entrance to the station.

When the station was enlarged and rebuilt, this old entrance and stairway was replaced by the new one at the far end of Rathgar Road. It would then have become redundant, but the structure seems to have survived until 1950 at least – it is visible in some post-war aerial photographs.

flaxman-maps.jpg

stationave.jpg

stnave_rdmodel.jpg

stnave_rdmodel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom