Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A Manchester thread for all things Manc

Someone should come and try living in North Manchester like a real northern. We've got a universally popular mural of Mark E Smith :cool:

Someone should come and try living in North Manchester like a real northern. We've got a universally popular mural of Mark E Smith :cool:
I've been asked to DJ 'round your way actually. Will give you a shout if/when it happens if you fancy a beer or two.

Ta! That's my Saturday afternoon sorted then.
The Lighthouse on Barlow Moor Road, and the Age Concern on Wilbraham Road are the best IMO - proper old school charity shops with low prices and loads of crap to rummage through. The others are all good too though.

You can also go to King Bee for some records while you're there too. :cool:

Yeah, it's great. They know what their stuff is worth so there's not many bargains, but they have some really good records there.

There's a decent run of them in chorlton, on wilbraham road near morrisons. 4 or 5 within a short walk, then another on the left if you head up towards the cemetery at the four banks.

Any excuse to repost this - Sister Rosetta Tharp performing at the defunct Chorlton station now buried under Morrisons carpark. (My uncle's still got his ticket stubs from seeing her later that night in town).

I had a nose around morrisons carpark the other week, hoping to find some echo of this glorious event. Sadly, nothing.

The Morrisons Carpark backs onto the Metrolink stop, which is substantially smaller than the old station, so it's a little from column a, a little from column b.

The Lighthouse on Barlow Moor Road, and the Age Concern on Wilbraham Road are the best IMO - proper old school charity shops with low prices and loads of crap to rummage through. The others are all good too though.

You can also go to King Bee for some records while you're there too. :cool:
I used to play football with the owner Les years ago.

Where's the best place in Manchester for charity shops? Just after some clothes and general knick knacks.
Chorlton does have a lot of charity shops but if also has a lot of people who shop in charity shops. My advice is get on the tram to Altrincham and Hale, that's where the real money lives and they might give to charity shops but they wouldn't shop there :thumbs:

I've only done Altrincham chazzers once, but wasn't impressed tbh. can't vouch for Hale, but I've never found charity shops that bountiful in well off areas - or where they do have good stuff it's vintage store prices.

Tell you what, it isn't a charity shop but I've done very well in that thrift store on Picadilly Gardens, in that row of shops under the brutalist hotel. They import loads of clothes from the states I think - there's always lots of american clothes in there anyway.

Chorlton does have a lot of charity shops but if also has a lot of people who shop in charity shops. My advice is get on the tram to Altrincham and Hale, that's where the real money lives and they might give to charity shops but they wouldn't shop there :thumbs:

Good shout that, bit of a bike ride to Altrincham though.

Heard quite a few people calling Altrincham and Levenshulme, "Alty" and "Levy." Sounds wanky as fuck.

Back
Top Bottom