Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A list of books written by urbs

Wasn't it sojourner who had a book of poetry published?
THREE books, hactually! Laura Taylor | Flapjack Press

She has indeed - and many of us have her collection at home (with signed intros calling us fucking cunts :D ).

Her books are also in the British Library (and I think the Bodleian Library too) so part of the permanent national literature collection which is ace. :cool:

Sweary urbanites forever. :thumbs:
🤣 SOME people got sweary intros, others got lovey dovey ones, so ner. In all seriousness though, their being held in the British and Bodleian libraries in perpetuity is the thing I am most proud of. I harbour a secret fantasy of people reading them in a 100 years time and finding out all manner of cultural perspectives.
It was a long time ago
🤣
Might be mate, but it's still a brilliant book of poety.

I wrote a book back in about 1979/80 entitled "Blabber and Smoke. A Cultural History of Cannabis Consumption". I knew Alan Moore in those days and he agreed to do illustrations for it. I got a publisher arranged, in London, and gave them my one and only physical manuscript. Then they went bust. I managed to get back a photocopied annotated version which someone had kept, and which I still have, but I was on the dole at the time and couldn't afford to buy new paper and didn't have the energy to retype everything.

A while later I wrote some pieces for Cienfuegos Anarchist Review, on the Situationists, Provo and the Kabouters. Stuart Christie said they would publish them, and then the CA Review ceased to exist. I mentioned this to Stuart in about 2015 and he'd forgotten all about the articles, and me.

I'm going to end on a cliffhanger here (good literary technique). There is more to come.

Last edited:
Eh, had a load of poems in the U.S. and a few collections of my poems published by various independent U.S. literary presses and one British one; appeared in a couple of anthologies, mostly single poems but one anthology with six other underground poets. All more than 15 years ago now and I'm not particularly keen on linking this online account to my real name, but my ego is sufficiently big that I had to mention it. :D
AND you were incredibly helpful to me when I was starting out. One of my first single poems to be published was on a site that you'd recommended. Eternal thanks mate 🥰

You've also written a leftist themed fantasy series though, it is brilliant, set in a world where some humans left earth long ago (and have decided to come back) though again in various stages of editing!
The first five are as finished as they're likely to get for the time being! The sixth and last one is slowly .. very slowly .. growing. I'd like to finish it in this lifetime because (ego flash alert) several people are begging me to. GRRM eat your hands off :D

I made an advanced kind of Spoken English course too, but that's something I only use with my students, so it comes included with the course fee.

I was runner up in the WH Smith Young Writers competition back in the early 80s, there was a book. of the winning entries. god knows if anyone bought it. :DThen a few years later my story turned up in a GCSE textbook! My teacher was wildly excited, I was mortified. :D I must see if I still have it knocking around somewhere.

I was runner up in the WH Smith Young Writers competition back in the early 80s, there was a book. of the winning entries. god knows if anyone bought it. :DThen a few years later my story turned up in a GCSE textbook! My teacher was wildly excited, I was mortified. :D I must see if I still have it knocking around somewhere.
ooh, that reminds me that a US prof I collaborated with on another project asked me if I'd translated a particular story as my name looked familiar. He used it as a teaching text with his undrgrads. I was very pleased.

I wrote a novel many moons ago, published only as an e-book, entitled “Uncontrollable”, a fictional autobiography of a 101 year old Spanish anarchist. In these difficult times I am offering it to everyone on urban who is interested for free. Simply go onto the Smashwords website, register (a bit of a fag), search for “Uncontrollable” and then checkout using coupon YK42Z. It won’t cost nuffink.

I hope you like it, but if you don’t, please feel free to take the piss.
I put the above post on another thread a while back. The last time I was made redundant I thought I'd try and write a novel. Never done it before. Didn't attend any writing courses, or anything like that. Couldn't afford an editor either, so don't expect too much. The idea was to write a sort of anarchist "Candide". I read the latter at school, in which the hero travels the world encountering all manner of famous and infamous people and peoples. So my hero does similar. That was the idea. The rest is history.

I put the above post on another thread a while back. The last time I was made redundant I thought I'd try and write a novel. Never done it before. Didn't attend any writing courses, or anything like that. Couldn't afford an editor either, so don't expect too much. The idea was to write a sort of anarchist "Candide". I read the latter at school, in which the hero travels the world encountering all manner of famous and infamous people and peoples. So my hero does similar. That was the idea. The rest is history.
You're now relaxing on a sunlounger outside your £2 million Spanish villa?

View attachment 345091

Just ordered this, I'd been meaning to read it.

I was runner up in this in the early nineties, there was also a book with an excruciating launch at the local WH Smith’s. Every couple of years I decide to write a book and then don’t.

After a period of job hunting ending in successfully landing a new job, I wrote a short book called "Redundancy, Bounce back from redundancy, Navigate the UK Jobs market."

It went to 42 pages of A4 and I never attempted to publish it. I did wonder about putting it online on a Wordpress site but that also was too much in the end so it languishes on my hard drive while it becomes more and more out of date.

Since no-one else has mentioned it, I'll have to be the first to ask if anyone else is amused by the "Books by arseholes" coming up as the first suggestion under "similar threads"? Anyway, I didn't think I'd written anything book-style, but on reflection there is a book of prison writings where either I contributed either the introduction or the foreword. Also the reason I was asked to contribute the foreword or introduction was cos I'd done the majority of the actual transcription for the book, what with the main author not really having access to word processing software, so I suppose I could say that I've not written a book but I have typed one, like the answer to a cryptic riddle or summat.

Back
Top Bottom