Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A film for every day of the year

In the book, Dracula arrives in Whitby on 8th August. Do any of the films show this scene as it is in the book?

Ferris Bueller's day off wasn't on June 5th because the German parade is in September. I thought of that too, but although some online sites list it as June 5th, it's wrong.

I feel like someone should be able to pinpoint the exact day in 1962 that American Graffiti takes place.
American Graffiti is described as being set "on the last day of summer vacation in 1962". The new school year in California started on 20th August in 1962, which would make it set on 19th August.

American Graffiti is described as being set "on the last day of summer vacation in 1962". The new school year in California started on 20th August in 1962, which would make it set on 19th August.
But is the last day of summer vacation on a Sunday? Or is the previous Friday?

But is the last day of summer vacation on a Sunday? Or is the previous Friday?
Good question. Town does looks kinda busy for a Sunday night. Any clue what day of the week it's set? Could be Fri 17th or Sat 18th August...

I would expect, just as in the UK, individual schools may vary their term dates from the official school board dates.

Ferris Bueller's day off wasn't on June 5th because the German parade is in September. I thought of that too, but although some online sites list it as June 5th, it's wrong.

That parade only happens on Saturdays - the June 5 comes from the Chicago Cubs' schedule

The June 5th date comes from the baseball match they go to - the Cubs vs the Braves, Cubs pitcher Lee Smith (No. 46) pitching against the Braves, right fielder Claudell Washington hitting a foul ball (caught by Ferris).

The characters also discuss their impending graduation, IIRC, which they wouldn't be doing in September - maybe the German parade happening in June is a quirk of the Buellerverse

Back
Top Bottom