Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

20 years today since the Oklahoma City Bombing

equationgirl

Respect my existence or expect my resistance
In the aftermath of the Waco siege which ended in tragedy in 1993, Timothy McVeigh vowed revenge on the US government at the time and set a bomb on the second anniversary of Waco which destroyed a federal office building (the Alfred p murrah building) including a daycare centre and benefits office.

The victims (168 killed, 680+ injured) were not only federal government workers but also children and people trying to collect welfare payments.

A Nat memorial to remember those who were killed now stands on the site of the murrah building. McVeigh died by lethal inject injection in 2001.

Did anyone there see the Postman that flew a gyrocopter onto the grounds. He kinda reminded me of the gyrocopter pilot from Mad Maxx. I bet somewhere they' re calling that "terrorism", but it was highly entertaining. It bet he loses his job over it. Postal employees can get fired for little more than traffic tickets.

The Florida mailman who flew a gyrocopter through restricted airspace and landed on the Capitol lawn last week said he made “every effort” to notify authorities ahead of his flight -- and said he wasn’t worried about getting shot down.

“I don’t know if that message didn’t get through, but I made every effort to give them advance notice because I didn’t want to get shot down and, thankfully, I wasn’t,” Doug Hughes told ABC News Monday.

Hughes is under house arrest at his Ruskin, Florida, home following his flight from Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, to Washington, D.C. He was charged with operating an unregistered aircraft and violating national airspace, and faces a potential four years in prison, plus fines.

Hughes was hoping to distribute letters to members of Congress, attempting to raise awareness about monetary influence in politics.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gyrocopter-pilot-doug-hughes-worried-shot/story?id=30441900

There's a powerful new documentary recently added to Netflix, which covers not just the bombing but also the themes underlying the rise of the radical right and the militia movement.

Oklahoma City (2017) - IMDb
Also caught an older doc on YouTube, Terror From Within.

If you can get past the generic portentously intoned narration, and the terribly misjudged packaging, and that the director's previous documentary was called Waco: A New Revelation, it's actually a well-drawn piece.

Like Oklahoma City it doesn't just start with Tim McVeigh deciding one morning to blow up the Alfred P Murrah Federal Building, but looks back into the past - not just to psychoanalyse McVeigh, but to place the events into historical context. However, whilst Oklahoma City only really went as far back as Waco and Ruby Ridge, Terror From Within looks a lot more closely into the religiously-minded radical right from the seventies onwards.

Director Jason Van Fleet makes a very assertive case that circumstances around them helped ramp up the right wing in such a way that it was both increasingly defensive and inward-looking and paranoid, but also increasingly prepared to justify the use of deadly force against not only those directly threatening them, but also against anyone else, in a manner which mirrored the trajectory of some groups on the left.

Interviews with Kerry Noble, until his arrest in the early 1980s a key member of the Covenant, the Sword, and the Arm of the Lord (CSA) group which evolved out of the Zarephath-Horeb Community Church, emphasise a development in thinking and action over time in the radical religious right, and help paint a picture of how the militia movement expanded.

Also featured are the likes of Robert Millar, founder of Elohim City, Dennis Mahon (White Aryan Resistance), and Clark Brewster, attorney for Carol Howe (the former Tulsa socialite-turned-neonazi and then ATF confidential informant), who together with various ex-FBI and ATF interviewees, and Telegraph journalist Ambrose Evans-Pritchard, provide interesting and illustrative contributions.

Not a conspiracy theory film - there is no scepticism that McVeigh did it - though attention is drawn to, for example, the targeting of the Murrah Building by the CSA in 1983, and the provocative involvement in the milieu of German ex-serviceman Andreas Straßmeir, and the question put in the air: did McVeigh really conceive and execute it from start to finish all on his own, with only a small bit of (towards the end, reluctant) help from Nichols, and even less from the Fortiers?

Last edited:
Director Jason Van Fleet makes a very assertive case that circumstances around them helped ramp up the right wing in such a way that it was both increasingly defensive and inward-looking and paranoid, but also increasingly prepared to justify the use of deadly force against not only those directly threatening them, but also against anyone else, in a manner which mirrored the trajectory of some groups on the left
Surely a parallel with Islamist groups there too.

Back
Top Bottom