Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

19 Edinburgh Schools to Close Indefinitely

This is unbelievable really, parents getting texts at 7pm on a Friday to tell them the school will be shut indefinitely from the following Monday. The council advises parents to look into alternative childcare. Just like that! And there's 5 high schools involved, with exams next month.

What a mess. My first thought was for the kids doing whatever the new name is for "O" Grades and Highers, but, come to think of it, it's a right mess for parents of the younger kids who will now have to find childcare for them. Bloody hell. :eek:

Wow, the bit about the text at 7pm on a Friday is just sinking in. Holy shit. It's like some sort of bad sit-com. Maybe everyone affected should take their weans along to the City Chambers and leave them there. Or maybe not. :D

This is unbelievable really, parents getting texts at 7pm on a Friday to tell them the school will be shut indefinitely from the following Monday. The council advises parents to look into alternative childcare. Just like that! And there's 5 high schools involved, with exams next month.
What, you mean Edinburgh doesn't have loads of cheap/free childminders sitting around on a Friday evening just waiting for phonecalls?

So far, outside Scotland, only the Indy has run with this:rolleyes:. Interesting from the comments, contractors have built schools in England too, and the problem is a lack of tie-ins holding cavity walls together (£9 for 50)

oops Guardian published 20 mins ago

So far, outside Scotland, only the Indy has run with this:rolleyes:. Interesting from the comments, contractors have built schools in England too, and the problem is a lack of tie-ins holding cavity walls together (£9 for 50)

oops Guardian published 20 mins ago
Any mention of Labour in any of the articles?

One day we’d like to be surprised

BBC: no mention of Labour at all

BBC (story #2): no mention of Labour at all (even when making reference to the current Labour-controlled council)

STV: no mention of Labour at all

Daily Record: no mention of Labour at all

The Herald: no mention of Labour at all

Sunday Express: no mention of Labour at all

Edinburgh Evening News: no mention of Labour at all

Sunday Post: Labour only mentioned in Andy Wightman quote

Sunday Times: Labour only mentioned in Andy Wightman quote

The Scotsman: no mention of Labour at all, despite Wightman being quoted

Scottish Daily Mail: no mention of Labour at all, despite Wightman being quoted

:hmm:

Inspections have been taking place of other schools in Glasgow, Fife and Inverclyde that were also built by Miller Construction.
maybe in England too

Bloody lucky the weather brought these walls down in an empty school triggering an inspection....on all the constructions
An Aberfan disaster impact in multiple communities doesnt bear thinking about....

I hope there some serious porridge involved for those who built it and signed off...

Last edited:
Re childcare...if the schools are shut the teachers are still being paid presumably. Maybe they'll sort out somewhere temp to at least help those kids about to take exams.
Eta ...logistical nightmare.

CfxpY0VWcAAL3II.jpg:large
*smirk* :D

Joking aside, my sister in law's just posted that they've still heard nothing about alternative arrangements yet (she has two sons at one of the closed high schools, one of whom will be sitting his Nationals next month). There'll be a lot of anxious parents out there.

I've seen the point made on twitter today that a lot of the affected schools are in areas where there's quite severe poverty. The kids that aren't at school because they're closed aren't getting their free school meals.

Amazing that the building inspector didn't pick up on tie-ins not being used. The brickies would have known that tie-ins should have been used. I used to work as a labourer for a brick laying gang so I know whereof I speak, and putting ties between the brick and the block wall is such a basic requirement - it always happens - that for them to be missed out must have been a deliberate act rather than an oversight or even simple incompetence. And how did the foreman and the site architect not notice?

I've seen the point made on twitter today that a lot of the affected schools are in areas where there's quite severe poverty. The kids that aren't at school because they're closed aren't getting their free school meals.
That's a good point, many of those children rely on that free school meals.the council has to do something soon.

I read on the Web today that the council also admitted it had no contingency plans for this situation. Whilst the situation is extremely unusual, there's no excuse for not having some form of back up plan to ensure continuity especially for those sitting exams.

Amazing that the building inspector didn't pick up on tie-ins not being used. The brickies would have known that tie-ins should have been used. I used to work as a labourer for a brick laying gang so I know whereof I speak, and putting ties between the brick and the block wall is such a basic requirement - it always happens - that for them to be missed out must have been a deliberate act rather than an oversight or even simple incompetence. And how did the foreman and the site architect not notice?

Same thing found in at least two other schools, so yep not oversight

Back
Top Bottom