Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

15 minute Cities , the latest conspiracy.

I first became aware of this when 14 year old was mentioning they'd heard about it as something to keep people in those spaces. I told them in sure that view was mistaken, as I'd read a lot about it for work, and was :rolleyes: to find out a few weeks later that someone had managed to take this totally harmless concept and weaponise it as loonspuddery.

It's all a symptom of the the covid lockdowns isn't it? Obviously they're all batshit conspiraloons etc, but the massive increase in such views after such an unprecedented exercise of government authority shouldn't really be a surprise.

Yeah, I have a family member, vaccine dodger. I saw a comment on Facebook, he made about this. In relation to something else. It just caught my attention as he used 15 minutes city or 20 minute neighbourhood. Forget exact, but as a pejorative.
I could not be arsed unpacking and querying him about it.

Last edited:
In order for these places to work as 15 minute neighbourhoods, they need to have these services in place before they block access, etc .

Nobody is blocking access to anything! That's the loons complaining. They're just pedestrianising some streets. You can still get everywhere. Nobody is being confined to an area or blocked from going somewhere.

It's all a symptom of the the covid lockdowns isn't it? Obviously they're all batshit conspiraloons etc, but the massive increase in such views after such an unprecedented exercise of government authority shouldn't really be a surprise.

It's partly that the loons don't want to accept that they were wrong about permanent lockdowns . The lockdowns finished which should mean that everyone who said it was part of the NWO etc gracefully accepted that they were wrong

Glasgow City Council planning committees have been using the buzz phrase “20 minute neighbourhoods” for years. I support the idea. It’s absolutely what’s needed. My criticism is Glasgow CC just sprays the term around its documents and does fuck all to achieve it.

If some swivel eyed foil heads on YouTube are getting angry about it, then that just convinces me it’s a good idea.

In order for these places to work as 15 minute neighbourhoods, they need to have these services in place before they block access, etc .

It comes down to money and investment. That investment needs to be ongoing, though. Many council estates in Britain were intended to be much nicer places to live in than they turned out to be - because the services and facilities, libraries, shops, play areas, pitches, green spaces, etc, didn't materialise/weren't maintained/closed down.

When I go somewhere like the Barbican, I think how all estates could be like that. Maybe not with a big fuck off arts centre each, but with scaled-down versions of many of the things there. It just takes care and attention, and a bit of money. Billions is spent on pointless skyscrapers for a few rich people to work in, but the same kind of investment doesn't come for places where people live.

Some of the new developments along the south of the river from Vauxhall onwards make me really quite sad. They had a big opportunity to do something good, to build something meaningful, and from what I can tell, they've blown it. :(

Nobody is blocking access to anything! That's the loons complaining. They're just pedestrianising some streets. You can still get everywhere. Nobody is being confined to an area or blocked from going somewhere.
Badly phrased 🤣 I know !

• Haha
Reactions: LDC
Glasgow City Council planning committees have been using the buzz phrase “20 minute neighbourhoods” for years. I support the idea. It’s absolutely what’s needed. My criticism is Glasgow CC just sprays the term around its documents and does fuck all to achieve it.

If some swivel eyed foil heads on YouTube are getting angry about it, then that just convinces me it’s a good idea.
This is my take.

How the fuck can a 15 minute city be anything other than a huge bonus?

Some plans are more controversial than others - and North American conspiraloons are claiming that plans like the one in Oxford will be applied to their cities.

The new traffic filters on St Cross Road, Thames Street, Hythe Bridge Street and St Clements would operate seven days a week from 7am to 7pm.

Two more filters on Marston Ferry Road and Hollow Way would operate from Monday to Saturday.

People can drive freely around their own neighbourhood and can apply for a permit to drive through the filters, and into other neighbourhoods, for up to 100 days per year. This equates to an average of two days per week.

The alternative is to drive out on to the ring road and then back in to the destination.

Some plans are more controversial than others:

The new traffic filters on St Cross Road, Thames Street, Hythe Bridge Street and St Clements would operate seven days a week from 7am to 7pm.

Two more filters on Marston Ferry Road and Hollow Way would operate from Monday to Saturday.

People can drive freely around their own neighbourhood and can apply for a permit to drive through the filters, and into other neighbourhoods, for up to 100 days per year. This equates to an average of two days per week.

The alternative is to drive out on to the ring road and then back in to the destination.

London is so well supplied with public transport that if I lived there I wouldn't have a car.

In other cities, maybe not quite so good, but not unsurmountable.

When you have a Coroner saying that a little girl died as a result of pollution from the South Circular, it is beyond time for bold measures.

I was a bit sceptical about LEZs, then I went to London after a near thirty year gap. The difference in air quality is massive.

I think with more people working from home there will be more demand for local services, all that coffee shop type shit which they’d usually enjoy in the big city. Kind of good because a lot of suburbs got hollowed out of their amenities and retail, becoming dormitory towns, but will now have a daytime population and there’s an opportunity to provide stuff to serve this, which in turn creates more local jobs, which itself generates more demand, and the whole rig begins to rotate.

I’ve managed to sort of set myself up with a five minute lifestyle, work is 2 mins away by bike or 5 on foot and also happens to be the school where both my kids go, the mrs works from home, post office about 150 meters from the front door, Tesco about 2 mins away, coop 4. Loads of other shops, takeaways, eat in places in my ‘radius’. Just needs an Aldi and I’d be sorted, though the local organic shoplocal mafia and nextdoor doomsayers would go fucking mental if that happened.

I believe Gaz made some important points that we should all consider:
FlBQid3XgAILFqy

London is so well supplied with public transport that if I lived there I wouldn't have a car.

In other cities, maybe not quite so good, but not unsurmountable.

When you have a Coroner saying that a little girl died as a result of pollution from the South Circular, it is beyond time for bold measures.

I was a bit sceptical about LEZs, then I went to London after a near thirty year gap. The difference in air quality is massive.
There needs to be joined up thinking and planning for sure, but the basic idea - that the right to drive where you want when you want needs to be circumscribed to some extent - is right. It has to be right.

As ever, there are two sets of rights and freedoms here. The freedom to act and the freedom not to be acted upon by others. Driving all over the place all the time is acting upon others so it can't be an unlimited freedom. There are no unlimited freedoms really. Freedom to starve to death on your own, perhaps.

Dogsauce said:
I’ve managed to sort of set myself up with a five minute lifestyle, work is 2 mins away by bike or 5 on foot and also happens to be the school where both my kids go, the mrs works from home, post office about 150 meters from the front door, Tesco about 2 mins away, coop 4. Loads of other shops, takeaways, eat in places in my ‘radius’. Just needs an Aldi and I’d be sorted, though the local organic shoplocal mafia and nextdoor doomsayers would go fucking mental if that happened.
Yes I feel very lucky I've managed something similar, work is a 15-min bike ride away, my son's school is a 10-min walk away, the town centre is a 15-min walk (bus station is there too) and the railway station is a 15-min bike ride at the other end of town. I no longer have a car and I love it. There are several supermarkets in my town but it's not a big place so none are more than about a 15-min ride away ... so yeah, it's already a 15-min town ... everywhere should be like Newton Abbot lol :D

It is darkly hilarious that people yelping about the communistic woke oppression of a 15-minute neighbourhood are guaranteed the same stupid knobs who arrive home or at work every day stressed and moaning about the bloody traffic. I genuinely don't understand how someone can miss the profound, almost inexpressible absurdity of that position.

Oxford is awful to drive into. When I worked in the city centre I was able to get a direct bus. Where I live now though, there isn’t a bus service. Well, there is a mini bus that has a route of 6 miles and costs £7 return and that isn’t regular. If I still worked in oxford now, would be a drive to the park and ride then the bus. Granted I do live in a tiny village and my nearest shop is 3 miles away (nearest supermarket is 6 miles) so I’m in a different situation now to when I lived in the city.

There have been some interesting demos here about them with some saying that huge fences and locked gates are being installed to stop you travelling. It’s going to be interesting

I'm not sure it's a very useful concept anyway. Cambridge is literally a 15-minute city and yet is the only city in the UK currently trying to introduce a congestion charge.

The concept isn't working in Cambridge because so many people who work and go to school here commute in from outside the city, because the size of the city and thus property prices are governed by planning constraints which have restricted the size of the city.

Image2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom