Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

“If you want a lot of chocolate on your biscuit . . .

Silas Loom

Urban awayday refusenik
….join our club!”

The memorable line from an advert for Jacob’s club biscuits, of course. But to the tune of Paranoid, by Black Sabbath.

Despite the lack of any evidence for this cover version, I’m pretty sure it was recorded by someone or other, possibly as a commercial release, and that it was on a housemate’s compilation tape.

Anyone else recall this existing?

….join our club!”

The memorable line from an advert for Jacob’s club biscuits, of course. But to the tune of Paranoid, by Black Sabbath.

Despite the lack of any evidence for this cover version, I’m pretty sure it was recorded by someone or other, possibly as a commercial release, and that it was on a housemate’s compilation tape.

Anyone else recall this existing?
Sounds like something Snuff would have done (though I have no idea). What was the second line or did it just keep repeating? It does have the right number of syllables though. You might have just dreamed it though.

Sounds like something Snuff would have done. What was the second line or did it just keep repeating? It does have the right number of syllables though. You might have just dreamed it though.

IIRC it just repeated. Like the ad.

I don’t think I dreamed it. I had an earworm for a while years and years ago of Wake/FALAA-era Sisters doing a lugubrious cover of Nellie the Elephant, but I still knew it was a hallucination. This presents as a genuine memory of a compilation tape.

“If you like Leeds United then you must be fucking scum… scum!” Is the version I remember

The scansion there is terrible, though, compared with the Club version, which is absolutely spot on.

Only works if there is a missed beat before Leeds. Is that how it goes?

Screeching into this tangent, I would just like to ask where these football chants come from. Who makes them up? How? When? How do they tell the fans about their new song? Do they get it in the club newsletter or something? Do they have choir practice? How does this meme propagate?

Ooh, ahh, Cantona

Screeching into this tangent, I would just like to ask where these football chants come from. Who makes them up? How? When? How do they tell the fans about their new song? Do they get it in the club newsletter or something? Do they have choir practice? How does this meme propagate?

Ooh, ahh, Cantona
Someone shouts it out in the stand, pub, on the train… or shares it in a fanzine, on a forum, maybe TikTok now 😅

Rocky Robin, the rock Geordie robin character selling chocolate biscuits to children in the good old days was an unimaginative rip-off of Rockin' Robin by the Jackson Five.

I'm sure we all remember chancing upon the Holy Grail of chocolate bicsuits: solid chocolate, no biscuit inside! I remember it happening with Kit Kats. Can't remember if Club ever did it but it probably happened.

My favourite was Breakaway. With the lined pattern on top, obvs. They really knew how to give you a nice chocolate border to bite off.

I'm sure we all remember chancing upon the Holy Grail of chocolate bicsuits: solid chocolate, no biscuit inside! I remember it happening with Kit Kats. Can't remember if Club ever did it but it probably happened.

My favourite was Breakaway. With the lined pattern on top, obvs. They really knew how to give you a nice chocolate border to bite off.

Imagine that happening with a Viscount. Jackpot.

Back
Top Bottom