Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Your favourite memory of growing up in Brixton in the 60s-80s?

warheadterry

I was born in Brixton to Jamaican immigrants back in 1965. After the riots in '81 my parents sent me to live with my aunt and uncle who were much better off over in Canada. I visited England again for the first time since I left in 2018 and oh boy did some memories come flooding back. It's funny, I didn't remember a thing about my childhood up until coming back to England. My wife and kids would ask me about how my life was growing up in London and I just couldn't remember a thing about the place even though I spent my first 16 years of life there. A lot has definitely changed though and certain parts are unrecognisable. I remembered some stuff but it was very vague. That was until I discovered a video on YouTube of Brixton back in the 70s and 80s. Suddenly all the memories came back tenfold.

I'd like to know what you guys' best memories are of Brixton and what you think of the changes it has gone through over the years.

While I visited I could see that they really cleaned up certain areas but at the same time it felt as if it had lost its charm. I grew up on Carrara Walk (something like that) I noticed they'd changed the name to Eaton Drive now for some reason. Only thing that looked the same was Railton Road. I believe that after I left one of my sisters worked at a Jamaican food shop on that road during the 80s or 90s. Broderick's I'm sure is the name she used.

Back
Top Bottom