Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wristwatches, watches and watch-like gadgets

Half decent British watch? Yes please
View attachment 407765

There's a very enjoyable documentary on Amazon Prime featuring RW Smith.

The Watchmakers Apprentice

Half decent British watch? Yes please
View attachment 407765

Been reading into that movement - pretty cool stuff.

I have one of these, Waltham half hunter, which is a possession I love perhaps most dearly - got it ooo 50 years ago for a couple of quid in a second hand shop, they don't really have them any more. Had the glass replaced and last time I checked it still works smoothly :)

I did always promise myself that when I hit 60 I'd start wearing it with the black leather waistcoat (because it really needs a waistcoat pocket to keep it in) I was given by a friend and I later discovered she'd worn it for a photoshoot for Playboy :eek: but I never have done. It's a summer thing though so perhaps now I'm 70 ...

1707265799201.png
I may here have given away more personal information than I'd intended to :oops:

Last edited:
Thoughts on a Laco?
I've had a Laco Flieger B for a couple of years now as it was on offer somewhere at the time and wanted one to compliment my Stowa Flieger A.

Don't wear it much to be honest, the leather strap it came with was nasty so was changed instantly to a green Nato. The feel of it is clunky and agricultural compared to my Stowa but it wasn't expensive (Miyota movement from nemory), so you get what you pay for really.

Laco do a wide range of watches at all kinds of prices so it would be interesting to see one of their Fliegers at the Stowa price just to compare.

laco-b-uhr-watch.jpg

Flieger B.

They do have the history of being one of the original five Flieger manufacturers.

My garmin instinct surf 2 has just shit its pants after a year. Locked up then failed to power up or hard re-set

Google Research shows this does happen and garmin hopefully will replace it

I hope so because I’m fucking obsessed with reviewing and measuring all my physiology

Last edited:
I've had a Laco Flieger B for a couple of years now as it was on offer somewhere at the time and wanted one to compliment my Stowa Flieger A.

Don't wear it much to be honest, the leather strap it came with was nasty so was changed instantly to a green Nato. The feel of it is clunky and agricultural compared to my Stowa but it wasn't expensive (Miyota movement from nemory), so you get what you pay for really.

Laco do a wide range of watches at all kinds of prices so it would be interesting to see one of their Fliegers at the Stowa price just to compare.

View attachment 411203

Flieger B.

They do have the history of being one of the original five Flieger manufacturers.

The Lacos on sale in UK retailers uses bog standard ETA/ Selita movements. You can get the upgraded movements if you buy directly from Laco, which seems like a bit of a ballache.

What do you think of this?

ETA - also do you consider these pilots as 'Nazi' watches?

Looks nice, go for it. You won't be disapointed with anything from Stowa, starting with their excellent customer service. :)
What I really like about my Stowa Flieger is the very subtle blue tints on the hands, not sure if this one you linked to has those going by the picture.

As far as 'Nazi' watches goes, no of course not. Just as I don't think anybody driving an original Beetle has 'Nazi' sympathies. :D

Last edited:
my fake rolex fell apart and i cant find my old casio since moving to my new flat so i got a vostok amphibia a few weeks ago and love it. i got the GRU spetsnaz version to be cunty.

G shock.jpg
This is what I've been wearing for the past 2 years or so. The only watch anyone will ever need, lightweight (even for a Hobbit like me), tough, radio controlled accuracy, waterproof, under £100 and it goes with whatever you wear. It's survived 50 hours a week in a professional kitchen environment with narry a scratch to be seen anywhere. Highly recommend any of the G-Shock range for anyone.

IMG-3984.jpg

I am a G Shock sort of guy too.

i have gone a bit barmy with watches. after not having one for a few years i decided to properly research what i wanted for the first time. then i got a few extra hours in at work and feeling a bit flush decided to get the vostok. trouble is, now my frugality dam has been breached i have ended up buying the watches that i came across and liked during my research. a lorus luminous faced field watch, a casio royale, a casio a168 and a g-shock 2100.
i also bought a bund strap for the vostok, copying the bloke who taught me how to lay hedges a couple of years ago.
now i am back in frugal mode til i can save enough for a sugess chronograph.

Last edited:
My garmin instinct surf 2 has just shit its pants after a year. Locked up then failed to power up or hard re-set

Google Research shows this does happen and garmin hopefully will replace it

I hope so because I’m fucking obsessed with reviewing and measuring all my physiology
Garmin immediately sent me a replacement and all
I had to do was pack up the old
Watch print out a
Delivery note they sent and drop it off at a parcel
Collection point

Top service, i’m Guessing there is something fundamental
Wrong with the watch design that needs a recall

Probably Chrono24.

Haven't sold anything there but have bought a '69 Omega and '78 Yema both from a dealer in Holland and privately from a bloke in Italy and both were excellent transactions.

Also you can see similar watches to get a better idea of value of the one you're selling.

Sold an Alpina to Watchfinder a few years back and they just paid me the minimum of their valuation scale, so fuck them.

Ebay? Nah.

Don't sit up too late trawling through Chrono24 when you're pissed though, it can be expensive. :D

Edited to add, here are the current 1999 Navitimers for sale there:

i wish i had never seen this post. i got a new full time job today and the money i havent earned yet is already burning a hole in my pocket. looking on that site at grand seikos and thinking "could i? should i?".

Back
Top Bottom