Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

World Cup Final 2014... How will you do yours ?

So how you going to do it?

• ITV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other Radio

• Lucky enough to be there

• Total voters

juice_terry

Here is a man who would not take it anymore.
I think I'll watch on the BBC with Radio 5 commentary, or maybe on SKY Calcio on the Italian channels round at my OH's parents.. don't think I could endure another minute of ITV/Chiles/Townsend and Ian Wright calling Hoddle "Gaffer".. I want to punch the pair of them every time I hear it.

Will probably go for BBC. Partner reckons the commentary is better on BBC* and there are no ads, most notably no Ray Winstone sinister floating head. He also won't have to put up with me singing 'Brasil, Brasil....'

*if I fancy singing along to 'Brasil, Brasil....' I suppose I should just say 'Phil Neville'.

Globo in Brazil.

Even though I can barely understand it, its way better than BBC, ITV and ESPN in the US. That said, the BBC pre-match montages and discussion with Lineker is ok I think. Better than the rest IMO.

Band in Brazil. Fuck Globo!

Was going to head into Rio but just decided to stay put. No point in trying the navigate through 25,000 cops and 100,000 Argentinians and god knows what traffic jams just to find a TV. Was offered a ticket today for £2,300 but, y'know. And I can't get passionate about either team. If Argentina win it'll be 100,000 unsufferables and if they lose it'll be 100,000 unsufferables!

gx

a huge TV screen has been put up just off the beach... it'lol be 2am but fuck it... quick nap needed after 36 hours travelling back to the island!

The first page of Googling 'Andy Townsend' reveals a page called 'Why Is ITV's Andy Townsend So Bloody Rubbish' and these wonderful Top Ten Memorable Andy Townsend Quotes:

1. “I’m just wondering there, Clive: could he have hit that first time?”

2. “I’m just thinking…maybe he could’ve taken a touch there, Clive.”

3. “Did he need to let that bounce? I’m thinking: Hit it!”

4. “Listen. I’m just thinking there, Clive, that he should really be looking to hit that one first time.”

5. “I think he had more time than he realised there, Clive. Maybe he should be looking to have a touch first.”

6. “Listen. I just think he should be doing better with that, Clive.”

7. “I think it’s just a bit big for him, Clive. Maybe he should’ve taken a touch?”

8. “Now, he’s let it bounce there…I’m thinking maybe he could’ve taken it first time?”

9. “I’m just wondering there, Clive: could he have taken a touch, possibly?”

10. “Should be scoring from there for me, Clive.”

We, if we get back from rehearsal in time, shall be BBC-ing it as the ad breaks are annoying on ITV

However Mr. QofG's has just admitted that he doesn't dislike Andy Townsend's commentary and thinks he is maligned :eek::eek::D

It's going to be Telecinco for me here in Eh-Spain.

Bad things about this.
1. Telecinco had three, yes three comentators all blathering away at the same time. They don't stop talking ever, not even for half a second.
2. Telecinco turns the crowd noise right down, killing the atmosphere. Commentary is even more prominent as a result.
3. Telecinco is Spain's worst commentary. Despite all the "¡Gol gol gol gol gooooool!" stuff, there's actually a fair bit of decent commentary here.

Good things about this.
1. Even on Telecinco, tactical analysis is better than Britain. No Gary Neville-esque overexplanation, and no boring, clueless moaning about positioning and endless waffle about "Cutting in" etc from other co-commentators. Spanish commentators are capable of giving you a good overview of what's going on tactically in just a few seconds, instead of constant moaning about a mistake that just happened. They are smart and succinct at the way they do it.
2. No Andy Townsend. Why don't I get paid thousands of pounds for talking about something I was rubbish at when I did it? I'm shit at loads of things and always have been. When do I get my cash? Also, he's so bad that all the other awful commentators, from Peter "filthy tasting cake" Brackley to Clive "THAT night" Tyldesley now seem alright in comparison. They're not. They terrible. Commentary is lost in Britain now. It's not about analysis, it's not about being dramatic, it's about being an enjoyable complement to the match. Motson hasn't got a clue about tactics but he adds to the experience. Barry Davies never mentioned 4-3-2-1 in his life, yet always managed to make you feel the drama and tension of the game, without bawling and hyperbole. These people that do it now are SHIT and we should give them all long custodial sentences.

BBC picture with 5Live commentary. I don't know if they'll do two commentators, swapping at about 22 minutes. Some of the games they have, some they haven't. I'd have thought it'll be one or both of Mike Ingham and Ian Dennis.

Back
Top Bottom