Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Windrush Square, Brixton - news and discussion

Monday 19/07 update:

Counted 18 people seated in chairs, 7 on the turd and at least 20 on the grass.

Value for Money

Jesus Christ!!!

Six pages and numerous post on semantics ! !

In order to know if a project represents value for money, we don't only need to know how much it has costed, but also what were the aims of the project and if those aims have been achieved. It is too soon to evaluate the success of Windrush Square, so all you are saying, guys, doesn't have any sense until some more time passes and then you can do a proper evaluation.

I doubt, nevertheless, that TFL and the council have embarqued on such a a project without making the appropiate studies/research and proving "a priori" that will represent value for money. After all, everything that attracts funding nowadays must be effective, efficient and economic (represent value 4 money).

However, I think it will prove to represent value for money. For a start, it looks better than before. It's also easier to walk through the square now. Late at night, it feels safer than before. Street drinkers dont gather in there anymore, etc...

The project aimed to create a safe, high-quality public space. The rationale behind was to avoid those "collectives perceived as threatening" to gather in groups. Thats why there are no benches and chairs are grouped in a maximum of three. I think its called "designing out crime". Another aim was to give the square an identity, to promote sociability (everytime I pass by there is quite a lot of people on the grass enjoying the sun), and to ease people's movement.

However, I think it will prove to represent value for money. For a start, it looks better than before. It's also easier to walk through the square now. Late at night, it feels safer than before. Street drinkers dont gather in there anymore, etc...

The project aimed to create a safe, high-quality public space. The rationale behind was to avoid those "collectives perceived as threatening" to gather in groups. Thats why there are no benches and chairs are grouped in a maximum of three. I think its called "designing out crime". Another aim was to give the square an identity, to promote sociability (everytime I pass by there is quite a lot of people on the grass enjoying the sun), and to ease people's movement.
Not sure why it's "easier" to walk through the square, but could you describe the key elements of its new "identity," please?

Jesus Christ!!!

Six pages and numerous post on semantics ! !

In order to know if a project represents value for money, we don't only need to know how much it has costed, but also what were the aims of the project and if those aims have been achieved. It is too soon to evaluate the success of Windrush Square, so all you are saying, guys, doesn't have any sense until some more time passes and then you can do a proper evaluation.

I doubt, nevertheless, that TFL and the council have embarqued on such a a project without making the appropiate studies/research and proving "a priori" that will represent value for money. After all, everything that attracts funding nowadays must be effective, efficient and economic (represent value 4 money).

There are a whole 24 other pages here, included in which is some discussion of the various things you mention above.

Windrush Square Seating Update

Tuesday 20th July 2010 - 17:37
Temperature approx 25-26°C

20 people occupying 33 seats gives an approximate occupancy rate of 60.606061%
15 on the turd
8 on the grass

Not one seat occupied this morning.

This is clearly an anarchic protest at the cost of the square and the choice of stone used (((solidarity)))

22/7/10 @ 23:37

15 (approx) seats occupied

no turd action

and quite a few people milling about, though they might have been waiting for a bus

I still find it weird the way that the flooring changes as you get closer to Effra Road - it's done so badly that it feels like you're stepping into the road.

They had spray wagons on the square 2 or 3 mornings last week, firing their high pressured jets at the stained concrete/nice stone/pisssurface. Worryingly, despite the presence of multiple vehicles, many clipboarded officials and men in high visibility jackets, they never seemed to get much past the Ritzy. It could be Brixton's equivalent of the Forth Bridge at that rate.

What do you mean exactly? How does it change?
Haven't you seen it? It goes from stone to brick as you step down from the area outside the Ritzy into the wide open expanse close to the road (to the right, below). It's clearly designed to mark a different zone of some sorts.

windrush-square-brixton-09.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if a motorist accidentally drove over that part, to be honest.

It's a different material to the roadway. And you'd have to go over the kerb. I'm not going to lose any sleep over people accidentally driving onto the square on account of it having a non-uniform paving material (which is hardly unusual).

I'd have thought you'd be in favour of having differently paved areas - what with the complaints about the uninterrupted "expanse" of posh non-concrete.

Is understand now that you are on some sort of bizarre, near-religious mission to defend just about every aspect of the new square design, but other people's opinions are just as valid, you know, and I don't like the way that open expanse feels like it's part of the road. My girlfriend feels the same, too.

End of.

Back
Top Bottom