Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will you be watching?

In light of everything we know, will you be watching the 2022 WC?

• Yes

• No

• No, unless England/my home team start doing well

Results are only viewable after voting.

beesonthewhatnow

going deaf for a living
As a non football fan I’m curious - given all we know about the horrific human rights abuses, treatment of migrant workers, deaths in stadium construction, FIFA corruption etc, will the games fans still watch? Is it a case of “it’ll happen anyway”? Or is this a cup too far?

Other sports have issues, of course, no argument there. But this tournament does seem to be a particularly vile affair.

It would be inconsistent if I didn't watch it, having watched in Russia four years ago, and the Beijing Olympics in 2008. They're not equivalent, but the ethos to watching or not is the same.

I'd be lying if I said I won't watch at all... I will probably end up watching some of it, but I think my viewing time will pale in comparison to other world cups.

Just feeling incredibly shit about it all. But just like with F1, their mismanagement, love of totalitarian regimes and constant love of money - I end up sticking around.

I'd be lying if I said I won't watch at all... I will probably end up watching some of it, but I think my viewing time will pale in comparison to other world cups.

Just feeling incredibly shit about it all. But just like with F1, their mismanagement, love of totalitarian regimes and constant love of money - I end up sticking around.
About where I'm at.

I don’t really watch football except for tournies so yeah I expect I’ll watch the England games, and isn’t one of them against a home nation? And one is against USA which is good for banter with my friend in Florida.

I suppose it will come down to what time the games are on as much as anything else

No I won't watch though it's due to the fact that I'm not interested in football rather than as part of any protest. It's hard to imagine that I will completely miss all of it due to the fact that I'm probably about the only male on both sides of the family who isn't into football.

I'm not excited about it, but yes, I'll be watching most of it.

I've booked the first week off work to catch all the games, as I had a lot of annual leave to take by the end of December, so figured I may as well.

Reasoning being that my watching or not won't make any difference, and given how much I enjoy football normally, I'd probably feel worse if I boycotted it, but saw the 'Festival of Football' going on regardless.

Plus, as Canada are my second country (Canadian grandmother), I want to see them play at their first World Cup in my living memory.

We will be boycotting it completely - Mrs K is a bit of a plastic sports fan, while I would rather shave my bollocks with a flamethrower than watch football - but, like the winter Olympics in Russia, as well as other crimes against morality, this shit is off the scale.

No way - I'm as likely to legitimise this disgusting spectacle as I am to the watch the Lions Vs the Orphans.

I'm not a big football fan but I usually love a big tournament and will swot up and really enjoy it. Not tuning in this time, though.

Following european style football is not something I do often, but 'll be rooting for US and definitely watching their matches...

I'll watch the England games but won't be taking days off work for DPRK v DRC, or whoever's playing

i will likely watch some games if they are on and i'm not doing anything but unlike previous WC, i wont be looking to fit them in with my busy schedule. the whole thing is dreadful and distasteful.

What do you do if one household member wants to watch the match and the other is completely boycotting and doesn’t want it on in the house?

Non-boycotter can’t/won’t go out.

What do you do if one household member wants to watch the match and the other is completely boycotting and doesn’t want it on in the house?

Non-boycotter can’t/won’t go out.
Non-boycotter gives the boycotter a fiver to go to the cinema. Or you toss a coin to see who'll be watching the telly and who'll be in another room watching telly on a computer

Non-boycotter gives the boycotter a fiver to go to the cinema. Or you toss a coin to see who'll be watching the telly and who'll be in another room watching telly on a computer
If it was an afternoon match, no worries I’d just go out but I’m irritated it’s my evening spoiled. Although strictly isn’t on so that’s something.

I was going to demand a donation to a charity of my choosing but it seems a bit weak.

Back
Top Bottom