Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will Victoria Pembleton stop crying after the Olympics?

nope, got nothing on Trotski's cuteness, just nice to see an athlete come across like she does, normally they seem to be either right cocky dicks or bland robots.

There's a lovely gymnast who's forever smiling but I can't remember her name

nope, got nothing on Trotski's cuteness, just nice to see an athlete come across like she does, normally they seem to be either right cocky dicks or bland robots.

Vicky jumped around all girlie-like when she was younger. Give Laura a few more years of intense pressure and we might see a different face.

Then why all the jokes about her getting a job crying after the games are over?

You English should lighten up on that reserve. It's ok for people to show emotion, you know. :)

Because that's just it, it's jokes :facepalm:

Why did I ever get the impression Canadians had a sense of humour

Then why all the jokes about her getting a job crying after the games are over?

You English should lighten up on that reserve. It's ok for people to show emotion, you know. :)

A week before the games there was a documentary on BBC1 about Vicky and a lot of it focussed on her emotions and she said herself that she cried too often.

We do: we just choose different things to laugh at or make fun of, is all.:)

roberto-luongo.jpg

A week before the games there was a documentary on BBC1 about Vicky and a lot of it focussed on her emotions and she said herself that she cried too often.

Yep, I watched that, and I saw a clip today (not sure if it was from same programme) and she was laughing and saying she was going to stop crying after the Olympics

Oh look, Paddy Power blog

Olympic Cycling/Crying

- At the Velodrome, Team Awesome are expected to hoover up a few more medals, especially with track cycling legends Sir Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton in action. It’s Pendleton’s last outing as she is retiring after the Olympics. Hoy is red hot 4/11 favourite to win the rather surreal Men’s Keirin event whilst Pendleton is an even hotter 1/5 to win the Women’s Sprint. We’re not taking bets on her crying at some point as it’s absolutely guaranteed.

that's maybe what is confusing our north american friend.

Maybe. You see, lots of Canadian athletes cry. Sometimes, we even cry right along with them. We see it as a perfectly normal thing. No presenter here would ever bring it up, and no Canadian athlete would ever think twice about it, much less feel the need to comment on it.

Cultural differences, I guess.

Maybe. You see, lots of Canadian athletes cry. Sometimes, we even cry right along with them. We see it as a perfectly normal thing. No presenter here would ever bring it up, and no Canadian athlete would ever think twice about it, much less feel the need to comment on it.

Don't worry, those North American habits are catching on here

Meanwhile, the stiff upper lip is losing out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiff_upper_lip

'Sentimentality, the ostentatious parading of excessive and spurious emotion, is the mark of dishonesty, the inability to feel...the mask of cruelty'

'Sentimentality, the ostentatious parading of excessive and spurious emotion, is the mark of dishonesty, the inability to feel...the mask of cruelty'

That was James Baldwin's critique of Uncle Tom's Cabin, as a fictional work exhibiting excessive sentimentality. Doesn't apply to the discussion at hand. Sentimentality is not the same thing as the honest, public display of emotion by athletes.

Pendleton is often criticised for excessive vulnerability and being "a bit of a girl" in a sporting environment dominated by swaggering masculinity. "I used to wear miniskirts with my GB top, and sparkly sandals, and the boys would be like: 'Oh my gosh, this girl cannot be serious'," she remembers. "A lot of women in sport tend to take on a very masculine, aggressive look. They want to be perceived as being strong and powerful. I never lost that sense of wanting to retain my femininity."

Steve Peters, the psychiatrist at GB cycling, explains the extent of Pendleton's past fragility. Recalling their first meeting in 2003, Peters says: "Vicky had no self-confidence. She had no way of controlling impulsive thinking. She had no way of containing emotion. She couldn't communicate well. She wasn't assertive. The list went on and on."

Winning the gold medal should have been the happiest day of my life," Pendleton says. "I won … [but] it felt like the saddest day of my entire life. Everyone was so angry Scott and I had fallen in love because it was so unprofessional and we were a disgrace and had betrayed everybody."

"Scott having to leave the team and everything he's worked for – that was a huge deal and I'll be forever in his debt," Pendleton says, as the tears fall. "Sorry," she says, turning away from the camera before composing herself. "He's given up everything to be with me and that means a lot. That's why I need to do him proud at the Olympics – to prove it wasn't in vain. That it was all worth it."

There are no tears now, just the resounding words of a champion racer. "The only thing that matters to me is going well in London," Pendleton says. "That's all I'm trying to do. I want it to be the most amazing exit I could possibly have from the sport and say, 'Thank you very much and now I'm done'."

Thanks for making the article available to me.

You know, I just can't get the humorous aspect, even given the British quirky sense of humor.

Back
Top Bottom