Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Will trains be disrupted on 17 and 19 March?

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
We are due to go from London to Birmingham by train on Friday 17 March and come back on Sunday 19. However, there are planned train strikes on 16 and 18 March. Just wondering how well the trains will run inbetween? Should we re-schedule the journey? We are not traveling early morning.

Puddy_Tat

We got caught by the train strikes first weekend of October last year. MiL and 1 granddaughter were supposed to come to our house on Sat 1 which was a strike day and then go on to London on Sun 2 with Eldest.
The Sat involved me and my BiL each making a 100 mile round trip to hand off the packages as it were at my Dad's house.
We were concerned that there would be disruption still on the Sun but by the time they set off early afternoon, everything was back on the normal schedule.

We are due to go from London to Birmingham by train on Friday 17 March and come back on Sunday 19. However, there are planned train strikes on 16 and 18 March. Just wondering how well the trains will run inbetween? Should we re-schedule the journey? We are not traveling early morning.

Puddy_Tat
Unions have to give 2 weeks notice of a strike. In answer, no, but services might be disrupted a little

Puddy_Tat

trains aren't quite my speciality, but i'd say maybe, especially if you're travelling late the day before a strike or early the day after.

depends what the exact terms of the strike are - it's usually on the basis that staff booked to start duty over a given 24 hour period will not report for work that duty, rather than staff who are already on duty at X time walking off, or staff who should have started before X time starting later (not least because they might be a long distance away from their base at that time) - so it can start to affect things the evening before and early morning after (for example if staff on night shift don't work)

sunday 19 may also be lumpy because the service won't have shut down with the right number / sort of trains in the right place for the end of a saturday service and it may take a bit of time to disentangle it all.

worth looking to see what the train company/ies you're using say

This is south western's page - says late start on friday 17th but normal service on sunday 19th.

Puddy_Tat

oh, and an afterthought - you have checked that the sunday isn't affected by engineering works, haven't you?

the supply of rail replacement buses / coaches isn't great at the moment and gaps in the service are by no means unknown - there aren't really enough bus drivers to go round, and most regular operations are running with a lot of overtime / rest day working at the moment, so there isn't a big supply of drivers to turn out on sundays for rail replacement work.

I'm travelling back to london on the 17th, I waited for the altered timetables to be available to book, should be fine if it is not an early morning trip on either day.

Back
Top Bottom