Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question about PAYG on overland trains…

My son worked as TFL support, no one including the managers seemed to have any clue at all about what they could do. They over hired, under trained, then threw people on phones cos they were short and complained about lack of completion since no one had a clue. Then fired half of them and adverts went up again while they took about 5 calls a day.

My son worked as TFL support, no one including the managers seemed to have any clue at all about what they could do. They over hired, under trained, then threw people on phones cos they were short and complained about lack of completion since no one had a clue. Then fired half of them and adverts went up again while they took about 5 calls a day.
. . . and what has this got to do with anything. I am missing something?

Today I discovered something.
A weekday off peak single from Brighton to East Croydon is almost £20 (18.90 I think). When I got to the ticket machine I saw there was a button saying I could buy a weekday single to Gatwick for £10.50. I knew the Oyster fare from Gatwick to East Croydon was only £3. Turns out the oyster has now gone up to £3.70 but I still saved myself about a fiver. WTF?
I believe you mentioning Oyster has caused the confusion. I assumed you used one. As did another poster.

I believe you mentioning Oyster has caused the confusion. I assumed you used one. As did another poster.
I did. . .
Talking about making savings on an Oyster had nothing to do with making a saving on an Oyster?
You said that the oyster would calculate the best savings so that I wouldn't have to. This would be compleatly irrelevant as the only oyster journey mentioned was from Gatwick to East Croydon. One single oyster journey. The rest of the journey was on a train ticket (which was explained) and obviously outside of the oyster zones. The saving was made splitting the journey from Brighton to Gatwick and then Gatwick to East Croydon (I imagine the single train fare would still make this journey cheaper, but I was already familiar with the Oyster cost as I have travelled it many times).

It seemed like an out of the blue comment about the benefits of oyster that had zero baring on the post you quoted. . . like saying "Oyster can be used contactless, you don't need to carry a paper ticket" or something. . .so what?

So either you are being weird, or you didn't read the post correctly and also assumed oyster could be used outside of london and would know what service you took and could also calculate every single split rail ticket option available. . . or am I missing something else?

I did. . .

You said that the oyster would calculate the best savings so that I wouldn't have to. This would be compleatly irrelevant as the only oyster journey mentioned was from Gatwick to East Croydon. One single oyster journey. The rest of the journey was on a train ticket (which was explained) and obviously outside of the oyster zones. The saving was made splitting the journey from Brighton to Gatwick and then Gatwick to East Croydon (I imagine the single train fare would still make this journey cheaper, but I was already familiar with the Oyster cost as I have travelled it many times).

It seemed like an out of the blue comment about the benefits of oyster that had zero baring on the post you quoted. . . like saying "Oyster can be used contactless, you don't need to carry a paper ticket" or something. . .so what?

So either you are being weird, or you didn't read the post correctly and also assumed oyster could be used outside of london and would know what service you took and could also calculate every single split rail ticket option available. . . or am I missing something else?
You didn’t specifically say you hadn’t used the Oyster on other days. Why even mention the Oyster in this context if it’s irrelevant? I’m not the only poster you confused either.

You didn’t specifically say you hadn’t used the Oyster on other days.
Why would that be relevant? The point was that the flat rate of a journey from gatwick to croydon plus the ticket price from brighton to croydon was £5 cheaper than a direct ticket.
Why even mention the Oyster in this context if it’s irrelevant? I’m not the only poster you confused either.
It's all in the post. I said I knew the oyster fare was £3 from previous experience (though suspected it had gone up a little). So bought the Gatwick ticket knowing I would save roughly £5, 25% which isn't an insignificant amount.
You made the mistake of believing him
Believing what? That I used an Oyster? Bought a ticket? Is everyone on crazy pills?
It was a simple question, involving an Oyster card, where he saved money in an unexplained way.
No. I saved money in an 'explained' way. I explained it. That's what the post was about. I didn't just split the tickets from Brighton to Croydon by mistake. As explained, I saw that there was an opportunity to save money at the ticket machine when I noticed it was only £10 to gatwick. Flipping heck.

I explained one way he might have saved money and the cunt jumped down my throat. :D
You didn't. You explained one way an oyster user might save money with an oyster card. Utterly irreverent. Wasn't mystified as to how I saved money, I was surprised that there was an easy way to save a way to save a substantial.
Read the post before you go off one and start calling me a cunt you moron.

Today I discovered something.
A weekday off peak single from Brighton to East Croydon is almost £20 (18.90 I think). When I got to the ticket machine I saw there was a button saying I could buy a weekday single to Gatwick for £10.50. I knew the Oyster fare from Gatwick to East Croydon was only £3. Turns out the oyster has now gone up to £3.70 but I still saved myself about a fiver. WTF?
It even starts with "Today I discovered something" . . .

Last edited:
And ends with a question. (WTF?)
Yes, 'what the fuck' is all that about? Hugely inflated weekday single ticket price.

. . . and that's what threw you is it? None of the other words in whole of the post entered your brain? and then you call me cunt when I explain? I hardly "jumped down your throat", I asked you what on earth you were on about. . . because you were not making any sense!!.

Yes, 'what the fuck' is all that about? Hugely inflated weekday single ticket price.

. . . and that's what threw you is it? None of the other words in whole of the post entered your brain? and then you call me cunt when I explain? I hardly "jumped down your throat", I asked you what on earth you were on about. . . because you were not making any sense!!.
Well I wasn’t the only person it threw and I was genuinely trying to help. No good deed goes unpunished, as the saying goes. :D

Well I wasn’t the only person it threw and I was genuinely trying to help.

Who else did it throw?
Pickmans model just jumped in with a nonsense comment off the back of your comment without even paying attention to what you (or I) said.

No good deed goes unpunished, as the saying goes. :D

Less of the smiling emojis. I didn't have a go at you, I legitimately asked what you were on about (because it made no sense) and you called me a cunt and accused me of jumping down your throat.

"No good deed goes unpunished" my arse.

Last edited:
I wasn’t after a fight. I clearly got the wrong end of the stick and suplex appears to like the aggro.
This is the very first time you have admitted you messed up instead of blaming me. . . And it was you who called me a cunt.
I just asked what you were on about as it had no bearing on my post. You insisted it did, mocked me, said I jumped down your throat, then called my a cunt.

No need to act all innocent.
It's not like it's not all laid out in words on the thread.

This is the very first time you have admitted you messed up instead of blaming me. . . And it was you who called me a cunt.
I just asked what you were on about as it had no bearing on my post. You insisted it did, mocked me, said I jumped down your throat, then called my a cunt.

No need to act all innocent.
It's not like it's not all laid out in words on the thread.
It went awry and I didn’t understand where you were coming from and you didn’t understand where I was coming from. I did wonder why you were being awkward as you’re not usually a fighty sort but reading back I thought I was answering a question then I thought you were being difficult for me daring to answer where as from your pov you wondered why I answered a question you didn’t ask.
One of those things where communication through text doesn’t work I guess.

Back
Top Bottom