Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question about PAYG on overland trains…

I'm now on the fast train to Victoria. My ticket is a return to Blackfriars.

if the ticket says 'Blackfriars' then you may be in bother. (assuming that there's any gateline staff still on duty by the time you get there)

if the ticket says 'London Terminals' then Victoria is fine.

Why would I get off at East Croydon :confused:

There may just be circumstances when it works out cheaper to use oyster or contactless to somewhere just inside the London zones, then a paper ticket from there to the place out in the wilds. (and obviously more so for anyone who already has a travelcard or freedom pass)

but as a general principle

1668036025419.png

:p

if the ticket says 'Blackfriars' then you may be in bother. (assuming that there's any gateline staff still on duty by the time you get there)

There may just be circumstances when it works out cheaper to use oyster or contactless to somewhere just inside the London zones, then a paper ticket from there to the place out in the wilds. (and obviously more so for anyone who already has a travelcard or freedom pass)

View attachment 350911

View attachment 350911

Is it just me, or does Mufasa in that pic look like a massive dong?

Yes I think that’s it.

The website where I read that trick, someone also travelled from east London to Heathrow using overground to avoid zone 1 and got there for like £3 or something

Yes I think that’s it.

The website where I read that trick, someone also travelled from east London to Heathrow using overground to avoid zone 1 and got there for like £3 or something

Is this like that thing where those people buy everything with coupons?

View attachment 350911

I'll report back.

But if I get on/off at E. Croydon I still have to travel between E. Croydon and home. Which is a total fucking arse ache.

Is it just me, or does Mufasa in that pic look like a massive dong?

umm - i don't think you look like a massive dong

(or isn't that quite what you meant?)

but then you're getting in to the realms of pink oyster card readers, and the risk of getting in to a dollis hill loop

This is not a fast train.
It is just not a stopping train.
We are creeping through the deep Sarf.

Balham... Wandsworth...Clapham Jnct...

Bloody hell I hope the Victoria Line is still running when we finally pull in.

Last Victoria Line departures from Victoria are 0034 to Brixton, 0035 to Walthamstow

What I can find suggests that the strike is for duties booking on Thursday, so the last Wednesday trains (even though they are after midnight) should be running.

:hmm:

i'm starting to wonder if the silence means story has -

successfully arrived at victoria and gone down the underground

arrived at victoria and is arguing about maltese crosses with a revenue protection officer

has been further delayed by disruption to the space-time continuum in the battersea park area

:hmm:

i'm starting to wonder if the silence means story has -

successfully arrived at victoria and gone down the underground

arrived at victoria and is arguing about maltese crosses with a revenue protection officer

has been further delayed by disruption to the space-time continuum in the battersea park area

Bless you x

I was Underground. Didn't risk pausing between getting off the train and getting onto the Tube. Now on the last leg of the journey, bus up the Hill.

Bless you x

I was Underground. Didn't risk pausing between getting off the train and getting onto the Tube. Now on the last leg of the journey, bus up the Hill.

Well I paused lo g enough to take that snap then hurried on

Don't they only have "contactless" - for the whole route, that is, beyond the Oyster PAYG zones - for tickets on phones, not tapping your card in at the turnstiles?
Yeah, but you still have decide what ticket you want (Thameslink, Southern, etc). My usual journey is St Pancras to Brighton then back to Clapham or Victoria. It'd be good to be able to tap in and out and it just works (like Oyster) but that might be asking a bit much :D

but then you're getting in to the realms of pink oyster card readers, and the risk of getting in to a dollis hill loop
Getting off a massively overcrowded train arriving at platform 2(?) at Clapham Junction and then having to navigate through the thronging masses to arrive at the pink card reader before the stairs without offending people is an art I've just about perfected.

Yeah, but you still have decide what ticket you want (Thameslink, Southern, etc). My usual journey is St Pancras to Brighton then back to Clapham or Victoria. It'd be good to be able to tap in and out and it just works (like Oyster) but that might be asking a bit much :D
My Key Smartcard seems to cover services operated by Great Northern, Gatwick Express, Southern and ThamesLink so I think I should be able to tap in and out on any journey which is offered by them. However, I've not checked the feasibility of this as I've only used it on a Southern Service which starts outside Zone 6 and then gotten off inside Zone 6 so far.

Is it too late to say you could have got off the train at east Croydon and tapped out and saved money? At least I think that’s possible, maybe it only saves money for travelling to Gatters
Today I discovered something.
A weekday off peak single from Brighton to East Croydon is almost £20 (18.90 I think). When I got to the ticket machine I saw there was a button saying I could buy a weekday single to Gatwick for £10.50. I knew the Oyster fare from Gatwick to East Croydon was only £3. Turns out the oyster has now gone up to £3.70 but I still saved myself about a fiver. WTF?

Today I discovered something.
A weekday off peak single from Brighton to East Croydon is almost £20 (18.90 I think). When I got to the ticket machine I saw there was a button saying I could buy a weekday single to Gatwick for £10.50. I knew the Oyster fare from Gatwick to East Croydon was only £3. Turns out the oyster has now gone up to £3.70 but I still saved myself about a fiver. WTF?
Oyster does calculations based on day / weekly travel card type stuff and cuts off fares to give you the better deal automatically.

Back
Top Bottom