Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wildfires reach outskirts of Athens during scorching heatwave

i'm in utter doom mode tbh - we're fucked - environmental collapse is on, any positive political intervention if it ever comes will be way way too late. we'll be looking back at 2021 as the good old days in a couple of decades

caught a bit of radio 4 womens hour last week for some reason, cant remember what they were talking about now, but they were reading out listeners responses and one woman emailed in to say Its All Irrelevant as we're going in to climate catastrophe....cue the presenter laughing off the idea "we're doomed". It felt like an ironic moment in the film just before all hell breaks loose.

Why the fuck would anyone attack the media in this situation? To dissuade reporting? Well that's fucking stupid, don't they know that big wildfires can be seen from space? So even a total media blackout within the country (which they would never be able to achieve anyway) would not hide what's going on over there.

It's just such a spiteful and stupid waste of time and effort, during a national crisis no less! Unless these shitfucks actually want the country to burn? Arsonists by proxy.

This suggests the fascists were claiming to be helping fight the fires:

eta:
"Let's not forget that at the wildfire frontlines are playing fascist groups of different kinds who are exploiting the catastrophe [...] In the photo is the group 'Defend Athens' at Varibobi. Food for thought."

Last edited:
What is the Daily Climate Show? I get an idea from the title obviously but would you mind describing it a bit?

It's a 15-minute round-up of climate news & special reports, that aims to highlight the immediate threat of global warming on the planet, and it's good that it's at prime times - M-F 6.30pm & repeated 9.30pm.

Sky News is set to launch the first daily prime time news show dedicated to climate change.

Hosted by Anna Jones, The Daily Climate Show will follow Sky News correspondents as they investigate how global warming is changing our landscape and how we all live our lives.

First airing on Wednesday 7 April, the show will also highlight solutions to the crisis and show how small changes can make a big difference.

John Ryley, head of Sky News said: "There has never been a more urgent need to report accurately on the climate crisis and to bring this story to new audiences.

"In this critical year for action ahead of COP26, The Daily Climate Show from Sky News will feature forensic data-journalism, expert analysis and eye-witness reporting and look at the solutions to climate change."

COP26 president Alok Sharma said: "I'm delighted to see how Sky, a Principal Partner and Media Partner for COP26, is informing and engaging its viewers about the climate crisis, and the need for urgent action, through the Daily Climate Show.

Fucking hell.

This is terrifying, not just the immediate devastation, but also thinking about what will be left afterwards, and to come after that too.

i'm in utter doom mode tbh - we're fucked - environmental collapse is on, any positive political intervention if it ever comes will be way way too late. we'll be looking back at 2021 as the good old days in a couple of decades

caught a bit of radio 4 womens hour last week for some reason, cant remember what they were talking about now, but they were reading out listeners responses and one woman emailed in to say Its All Irrelevant as we're going in to climate catastrophe....cue the presenter laughing off the idea "we're doomed". It felt like an ironic moment in the film just before all hell breaks loose.
Yeah, I know little beyond the footage and stories of the different weather catastrophes, but it's hard not to draw some very depressing conclusions :(

HEADS UP - 'A Burning Summer - Wildfires on the Med' is a special half-hour report on Sky News, next repeats at 3.30pm & 7.30pm today.

Just caught the end of that, so I'll catch the repeat, apparently the Turkish 'media dogwatch' has threaten action against media outlets if they don't tone down their coverage of the fires and stop scaring people. :facepalm:

Last edited:
It's just absolutely fucking petrifying - so, so scary. The immediate terror and fear for so many people - I mean I just cannot imagine - and the total inadequacy of any help available, or being provided, along with a complete lack of any significant, meaningful and urgent worldwide action to really address this, while the results of that are just storming ahead, regardless.
So frightening to witness, even from our own distance, ffs.
And we have cunts like this overseeing it - ‘One rule for them’: Alok Sharma criticised over flights to 30 countries

HEADS UP - 'A Burning Summer - Wildfires on the Med' is a special half-hour report on Sky News, next repeats at 3.30pm & 7.30pm today.

Just caught the end of that, so I'll catch the repeat, apparently the Turkish 'media dogwatch' has threaten action against media outlets if they don't tone down their coverage of the fires and stop scaring people. :facepalm:

That was a hard watch, but the footage is incredible, and their crazy team was right on the frontline at times, even filming the firefighters retreating and shouting they should do the same. :bigeyes:

It's on youtube now...

In a special programme on the wildfires burning across large parts of the Mediterranean, Sky's Alex Crawford reports from the scene of a blaze in Turkey.

On a really small level, comparatively, I watched a fire consume the upper stories of our own home, almost two years ago, within minutes.
We had ten fire engines and it still burned through the night.
We lost loads and some of my neighbours lost everything.
It was surreal to experience and I also remember that while we evacuated very quickly (despite the advice to stay put inside), with no lives lost and no injuries, weirdly we didn't instinctively move away from the building - just out - until the fire service arrived and obviously shouted at everyone to move.

I just can't imagine what it must feel like to have to endure fire like this, coming from all sides, while you're stuck in place with the shock of what is actually happening, with a fire service that has already been decimated and with such scarily small offers of urgent aid coming from elsewhere - those numbers posted earlier, of international help, just seem impossibly small to get any sort of a handle on it.

I am so scared for the people left shouting for help, becoming increasingly trapped.

This Turkish state shit blaming it on new and mysterious "Children of Fire" PKK-affiliates is so fucking pathetic and transparent and it pains me to see Turkish friends on FB fully going for it

Three large wildfires churned across Greece on Saturday, with one threatening whole towns and cutting Evia, the country's second-largest island, in half. Others engulfed forested mountainsides and skirted ancient sites, leaving behind a trail of destruction that one official described as "a biblical catastrophe."

A flotilla of 10 ships — two Coast Guard patrols, two ferries, two passenger ships and four fishing boats — waited at the seaside resort of Pefki, near the northern tip of Evia, ready to evacuate more residents and tourists if needed...

"It wasn't that the choice was made to sacrifice Evia and save Athens, the choice was made earlier to not be able to save both Athens and Evia."

When asked about whether such a devastating catastrophe could have been avoided, the mayor was clear. ”I don’t know if it could have been avoided, but I am sure that with a different approach, it could have been contained much better,” he says. ”We could have saved more, we could have had a more satisfying result in terms of putting out fires,” he adds. ”We didn’t put out a single fire. We were waiting for the fire fronts to move around the two municipalities of northern Evia and finally to end on the sea,” he explains, portraying a worrying picture that challenges directly the Greek government’s ability to deal with the disaster.

Drone footage from Evia

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom