Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wilde, Morris and all that

EP Thompson biography of William Morris I read years ago.

Morris had been accepted as serious artist putting his politics in the background. The politics to be dismissed.

Thompson puts his politics and art together. Ground breaking biography for its time.

Morris did use some of his wealth to fund very radical groups. Who were basically anarchist.

I was coming back to this thread to ask if anyone had read the Thompson biography, but see that's been answered above. Has anyone read Sheila Rowbotham on Edward Carpenter or her book Rebel Crossings?

I was coming back to this thread to ask if anyone had read the Thompson biography, but see that's been answered above. Has anyone read Sheila Rowbotham on Edward Carpenter or her book Rebel Crossings?
Nope but thanks for the suggestions. One of the things I loved in the Morris museum was his appreciation of all those Essex weeds I spend my time admiring in my garden, and his ability to see the connection between nature, Viking / Icelandic design and Norman architecture. Sort of organitising what could otherwise be perceived as "high" art.

Back
Top Bottom