Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is Wales so poor? (Economy, language and more)

It really isnt :D its Greek and Latin.

No. It's English. It derives from Greek and Latin.

Big part of what makes English so dynamic - not scared of appropriating or stealing.
Generating words by committee is the coward's way. :p

No. It's English. It derives from Greek and Latin.

Yup, and when it appear in a Welsh dictionary it derives from Greek and Latin as well. Or the estimated one third of English words which are adopted from French.

Started to understand how languages develop now?

Yup, and when it appear in a Welsh dictionary it derives from Greek and Latin as well. Or the estimated one third of English words which are adopted from French.

Started to understand how languages develop now?

Ooh, the projection is tangible. :D

When it appears in a Welsh dictionary the only link with Greek and Latin is via English.

And the many Latin root words in English came via French, your point is?

They weren't Anglicised by committee, they were just adopted.

One is the natural development of a language, the other is a centralised response to a conceived threat by people who'd like a language to be developing naturally but are on life-support duties.

Christ, you can be very dim for one so patronising. :D

My question, as stated earlier, was whether this is still the case or whether Welsh is having something of an authentic revival. Since I don't live there any more and only pop back for weddings and bar mitzvahs.

They weren't Anglicised by committee, they were just adopted.

Thats is actually what the OED do, by committee.

One is the natural development of a language, the other is a centralised response to a conceived threat by people who'd like a language to be developing naturally but are on life-support duties.

Yes, like all those dying European languages.

Christ, you can be very dim for one so patronising. :D

I'll let others judge on our respective posts. Playing the ball rather than the man always looks so desperate.

My question, as stated earlier, was whether this is still the case or whether Welsh is having something of an authentic revival. Since I don't live there any more and only pop back for weddings and bar mitzvahs

Which plenty of posters have answered.

Which plenty of posters have answered.

You'll have no trouble in pointing me to the posts giving an example of recent change in the Welsh language of a non-centralised nature, then.

By which I should point out that I'm not saying there hasn't been any. I was just interested in examples.

You'll have no trouble in pointing me to the posts giving an example of recent change in the Welsh language of a non-centralised nature, then.

Why, thats isnt what you asked.

You only have to see the officual stats for the growth of the language (I think the Ed linked to them earlier) to see the extent of the revival.

Or speak to a group of young Welsh kids.

My question, as stated earlier, was whether this is still the case or whether Welsh is having something of an authentic revival. Since I don't live there any more and only pop back for weddings and bar mitzvahs

Hence the 'Welshification' committees. :D
Do you think all of Wales uses identical words and pronunciation, and only words that are approved by committees?

Your ignorance - and what's fast looking like anti-Welsh prejudice- is beginning to shine through here.

Why, thats isnt what you asked.

You really have no business accusing anyone of not reading your posts in a thread! :D

You only have to see the officual stats for the growth of the language (I think the Ed linked to them earlier) to see the extent of the revival.

Numbers of people speaking it do not a viable language make. Wasn't that long ago that all of the upper classes in this country were well-drilled in Latin. All my questions have been directed at seeing what kind of a revival there is. And all the Welsh kids I know are from a generally non Welsh-speaking area.

My point is that Welsh, in the early 90s, looked like the linguistic equivalent of one of those species that lives in a few compounds and groups get moved around now and then to stop the gene pool stagnating. You may have quite a lot of them, but their numbers and the lack of inherent diversity makes them a nonviable species long term. Hence my interest in whether Welsh had been evolving at all recently, as that would make the all difference to me in terms of whether it was a properly 'living' language again.

I have no real interest in the small quarryful of chips on your shoulder, I was just interested.

Do you think all of Wales uses identical words and pronunciation, and only words that are approved by committees?

Your ignorance - and what's fast looking like anti-Welsh prejudice- is beginning to shine through here.

I was asking a question, you fucktard! :D

I wanted to know if there was a real revival in Welsh or just the understandable effect of a lot of money being poured into a minority language. All I'm getting is what looks like bile born of some kind of inferiority complex.
Which is fine, doesn't answer my question in any meaningful way but at least it tells me who not to ask next time . .

As for anti-Welsh prejudice . . . some things don't even merit a response. :D:D

My point is that Welsh, in the early 90s, looked like the linguistic equivalent of one of those species that lives in a few compounds and groups get moved around now and then to stop the gene pool stagnating. You may have quite a lot of them, but their numbers and the lack of inherent diversity makes them a nonviable species long term. Hence my interest in whether Welsh had been evolving at all recently, as that would make the all difference to me in terms of whether it was a properly 'living' language again..
Even in the 90s, Welsh was being spoken all over Wales, complete with regional dialects and slang. New words were entering the language and being put into common usage regardless of whether they had been 'officially approved' or not (so, no different to English then).

No different to english really. A word for something in London may be neglected for another word in Newcastle for the same thing.

Both are living breathing languages. Dictionary compilers don't invent / police the language, they merely log the changes.

Back
Top Bottom