Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why is Wales so poor? (Economy, language and more)

except everyone in yorkshire competes to say they came from the worst rather than the best part :D

You should see where I grew up lad. I'm telling you the RSPCA would have you in court in you kept a dog in that place. The food was tripe and chips but only when we could afford tripe.

@Derf: Surely it's most clear in the fact that Wales is actually a separate nation, recognised as such by most people.
Just because it isn't a nation state doesn't man it's not a nation.

That's the big thing that separates wales and yorkshire. It may be the only thing. :)
Having said that a lot of people in yorkshire think they should return to being a separate state.

That's the big thing that separates wales and yorkshire. It may be the only thing.
Well, that and a language with roots going back to the 6th Century - which has survived against all the odds - and an entirely different history.

Because you let English cunts run things. Into the ground. And take the money.

Because you let English cunts run things. Into the ground. And take the money.
Just you Englisch wait until Owain Glyndwr rises again! They you'll all be sorry!

*shakes fists at the sky
*looks optimistically in the direction of distant Welsh mountains.
*puts on some Super Furry Animals

Just you Englisch wait until Owain Glyndwr rises again! They you'll all be sorry!

*shakes fists at the sky

* starts to sing along and forgets what all the fuss was about anyway, like.

:D:D:D

*shakes fists at the sky

I went to his stomping ground last year. Some lead mine near Llanidloes with a sign next to it.

I went to his stomping ground last year. Some lead mine near Llanidloes with a sign next to it.
Had he been Scottish, English or Irish, there would have been a Hollywood blockbuster or two about the man. His life story is really interesting, with a perfect movie ending

Had he been Scottish, English or Irish, there would have been a Hollywood blockbuster or two about the man. His life story is really interesting, with a perfect movie ending

Cripes - even your heroes have persecution complexes :D ;)

Cripes - even your heroes have persecution complexes :D ;)
It's a fair comment. Glyndwr lived a fascinating life but the lack of Welsh influence in Hollywood means that his story has never been told.

Mind you, if it spares us tosh like a LlanBraveheart, perhaps that's not a bad thing.

Well exactly - why would you want ahistorical hollywood piffle ruining what was otherwise a much more interesting story.

Well exactly - why would you want ahistorical hollywood piffle ruining what was otherwise a much more interesting story.
A good BBC documentary wouldn't go amiss. When I was at school I wasn't even taught about Glyndwr, but we knew all about King chuffin' Henry IV and the rest of the Englisch mob.

A good BBC documentary wouldn't go amiss. When I was at school I wasn't even taught about Glyndwr, but we knew all about King chuffin' Henry IV and the rest of the Englisch mob.

They've had a History of Scotland on BBC2 recently, be nice if they had one for Wales as well.

They've had a History of Scotland on BBC2 recently, be nice if they had one for Wales as well.

Didn't Huw Edwards do one a few years ago? very lightweight if I remember, 30 minute slots on 2W, and mostly focusing on Welsh influence within 'Britain' - lloyd George etczzz.

To the poster who suggested that Welsh was the most subsidised language in the world, I doubt that it's even the most subsidised in the UK, given the recent launch of BBC Alba up north.

Gash
x

Channelling the spirit of O'Lynch ed? :D

I hope when the Welsh rise you'll remember than not all of us are running dog lackeys of English imperialism?

Didn't Huw Edwards do one a few years ago? very lightweight if I remember, 30 minute slots on 2W, and mostly focusing on Welsh influence within 'Britain' - lloyd George etczzz.

He did a series about Wales and religion I think, and a different programme about Lloyd George.

On the Welsh - Yorkshire similarities, I've several, admittedly anecdotal experiences of kinship. My Grandfather (a steelworker) used to go up there all the time, and loved he place. I know of several Yorkshire types who've move to Wales - mostly west - and they love the similar grimness off this place, and several have become 'proper' Welshmen.

Admittedly I'm rambling and derailing the thread. Soz.

Gash
x

The Yorkshiremen were our allies when I was a kid :cool:

When Welsh folk slag of the saes we dont usually have Northerners in mind, our stereotypical Englischman is a posh southerner.

The Yorkshiremen were our allies when I was a kid :cool:

When Welsh folk slag of the saes we dont usually have Northerners in mind, our stereotypical Englischman is a posh southerner.

I'm sure it wasn't as simple as that. Nationalism tends to contain far more contradictions and confusions when you scratch the surface.

Go ahead - no-one is under any illusions about them. :p

What illsuions do you think the Welsh are under about Lloyd George? you are aware that some of his sternest critics were Welsh and he's still widely reviled by many in South Wales?

It's only the welsh who retain the holy glow of racial purity

Really? I've never heard any welshman claim any such thing as 'racial purity', but feel free to post a link.

Back
Top Bottom