Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Why are we winning at the olympics?

isitme

Banned
Banned
I think it was the one in America but it might have been Greece, but we finished about 40th

A few years later and we are ahead of everyone except China and America with about 5 days left to go and a few more medals we expect to win

Why?

well

out gold medals seem to be concentrated on relatively few sports

cycling 7
swimming 2
rowing about 3?

the cycling seems to have benefited from a lot of investment over the last 4 years - a lot of research - better bikes, helmets and the like, better training

rowing - cos we are a sailing nation

swimming - well because of one very good swimmer

gonna be tough to replicate this success in london, in the cycling particularly - other teams will learn from us :mad:

also, we are winning medals in events that are more technical (eg sailing, cycling) where the field of opposition isnt as wide as for the track and field events

because the blacks dont like water (or riding bikes), you'll note our success is in sailing, rowing and swimming - all water based.

obviously

Dunno how many medals we have but I bet the gap between us and the top two is massive, how close are the countries below us?

because the blacks dont like water (or riding bikes), you'll note our success is in sailing, rowing and swimming - all water based.

obviously

So it's the blacks wot are letting us down? :mad: Deport the lot of them back where they came from.

I reckon that Clive Woodward had something to do with it as well

We have never been that bad at rugby but when he was in charge we won the world cup, he was one of the head people for the olympics and we are doing great, he's a demon i tell ya

I reckon that Clive Woodward had something to do with it as well

We have never been that bad at rugby but when he was in charge we won the world cup, he was one of the head people for the olympics and we are doing great, he's a demon i tell ya

and look what he did for southampton.

Have Britain ever dominated the track and field?

I love how you go bananas at how one of your athletes won a Bronze earlier and totally forgot to mention that the winner broke the Olympic record. Shameless broadcasting from the BBC.

I love how you go bananas at how one of your athletes won a Bronze earlier and totally forgot to mention that the winner broke the Olympic record. Shameless broadcasting from the BBC.

The BBC are the most shameless bunch of bastards in the world except Fox :D

Britain will never dominate track and field unless we get America back

went bananas when christine won the 400 too:cool:

I think it was the one in America but it might have been Greece, but we finished about 40th

A few years later and we are ahead of everyone except China and America with about 5 days left to go and a few more medals we expect to win

Why?

Does it really matter? Why are you so obessed with how your country does? Isn't it about all about who is the best athelete/competitor - regaradless of country? Olympic record/world record/country record....even personal best...this is what it is all about.

Why worry about how your country does, why not revel in the concept of human achievement? Enjoy the limits that our fellow humans are achieving...my goodness, this is what it is all about.

Doesn't it do your heart good to see the little countries win a medal? Afghanistan got a bronze..first medal ever...made my heart soar. And the other little countries...bet they are/were glued to the telly's!!!!

Does it really matter? Why are you so obessed with how your country does? Isn't it about all about who is the best athelete/competitor - regaradless of country? Olympic record/world record/country record....even personal best...this is what it is all about.

Why worry about how your country does, why not revel in the concept of human achievement? Enjoy the limits that our fellow humans are achieving...my goodness, this is what it is all about.

Doesn't it do your heart good to see the little countries win a medal? Afghanistan got a bronze..first medal ever...made my heart soar. And the other little countries...bet they are/were glued to the telly's!!!!

bringing up a kid or designing a bridge or going to the moon are human achievements. people being really tall and running round a track really fast or jumping over a stick are just things to watch until something better comes on the telly

bringing up a kid or designing a bridge or going to the moon are human achievements. people being really tall and running round a track really fast or jumping over a stick are just things to watch until something better comes on the telly

I have brought up four children, one who is more than qualified to build a bridge, so that is a silly comparison.

My daugher, the one who can design the bridges, is an athlete as well. Friends said, "you have to meet this guy". She says, "Only time I have free is during the 10km Run-for-Cancer". He ran it, she came second, he finished, they are getting married after a five year relationship.

But that matters naught.

The actual commitment to a sport...to get up every day and train...and then try to support yourself, coz you believe in you...and you always dreamed of that goal.

And then they get their moment in the sun...win or fail..you competed against the best of the best...you really do have to believe...

You have to honour every competitors drive and dream...and ask yourself...have you ever committed as much to anything in your life?

Total respect to all Olympicans!!!

Totally agree with you there spring peeper!(edit: oops, I was replyin to your post on the last page at the end, didn't notice the other page)

Back
Top Bottom