Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who's been burrowing in my lawn?

cupid_stunt

Chief seagull hater & farmerbarleymow's nemesis.
Almost had a nasty accident when my foot got caught by this hole, whilst mowing the lawn, it wasn't there two & half weeks ago when I lasted mowed. .

1bbb1.jpg

It's about 20-25cm in diameter when you disregard the overhanging grass, and about the same deep, before taking a turn

From what I've found it's too big for mice, rat or vole actively, for the size I am guessing foxes or badgers, but there's no sign of spoil around the area, so perhaps it's a portal to another world? :hmm:

I need to infill it, as it's dangerous, but I don't want to do that if there's foxes or badgers in there, how would I know? For now I've put a couple to sticks over it, to see if they get disturbed.

1bbb2.jpg

Any suggestions from the urban hive mind?

Most likely I would say a rat.
Do badgers tend to burrow in open areas like that? Not sure, we don't get badgers round here so my experience is limited - although I did see the devastation they wreaked on my parent's garden by digging up bumblebee nests! The holes were much bigger and messier than that, but they weren't dens, just where the bees nests had been.

Almost had a nasty accident when my foot got caught by this hole, whilst mowing the lawn, it wasn't there two & half weeks ago when I lasted mowed. .

View attachment 426933

It's about 20-25cm in diameter when you disregard the overhanging grass, and about the same deep, before taking a turn

From what I've found it's too big for mice, rat or vole actively, for the size I am guessing foxes or badgers, but there's no sign of spoil around the area, so perhaps it's a portal to another world? :hmm:

I need to infill it, as it's dangerous, but I don't want to do that if there's foxes or badgers in there, how would I know? For now I've put a couple to sticks over it, to see if they get disturbed.

View attachment 426934

Any suggestions from the urban hive mind?

Moles?

I had the entrance to a fox den in my garden.
I stuffed progressively more challenging blockages in it to make sure I didn't trap one.

I think you may have an infestation of Ricky Gervaises. Unfortunately, they’re very difficult to eliminate, their shit is extremely toxic and pervasive, and their persistent cackles are likely to keep you awake at night, so the only effective option for you is explosives.

Well the sticks haven't moved, so no beasties have been in or out of the hole overnight.

I also had a lightbulb moment last night, there used to be a willow tree there, that had to be cut down as it was too close to the bungalow and a surveyor was concerned if if was left to grow more it could undermine the foundations, so, I wondered if the hole had opened up because roots left behind have rotted, and that seems to be the case from looking at the video below.

Good job it was cut down when it was, as at that point the roots shouldn't have grown far enough to cause any subsidence problems <crosses fingers>.

I'm still rooting for a sinkhole.

Was there any mining in the area? I heard that a bloke in the village up the road a few years ago went out in the garden on day and saw his oak tree had disappeared after it fell into an old mine working. Cornish tin miners apparently used to dig upwards when they were following a lode (tin vein) and went back down if they hit tree roots and tried somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom