Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Who Do You Think You Are - Kate Humble

badlands

the mercy seat
That was genuinely moving.

Some people have amazing people in their family tree. She has an inordinate amount of them.

Hidden histories and lost stories brought to life.

Yep, it was pretty interesting and then BAMB! the Great Escape :D Whoa Nelly!

That diary she had was something else - a proper historic document.

Yep, it was pretty interesting and then BAMB! the Great Escape :D Whoa Nelly!

That diary she had was something else - a proper historic document.

And all she said she remembered of him was that he sat by the fire with a pint and a roll-up.

:D

Bet they even watched The Great Escape together once or twice

The programme was very interesting - she was a bit of a human hosepipe though (although not as much as Patsy Kensit).

What's a "human hosepipe"?

And for those of who didn't watch the show, what was uncovered?
Someone who gets particularly weepy.

What was covered was aircraft test-flying in WWII, a mining disaster in Northumbria, and the escape from Stalag-Luft III and the forced march of PoWs held there to the West in 1945.

I was interviewed by her a few years back (City Hospital) and I think she's terrific. Both an excellent professional and a genuinely decent person.

What's a "human hosepipe"?

And for those of who didn't watch the show, what was uncovered?
She got tearful. Often.

3 very interesting ancestors, two of them grandfathers. Just from a blokey pov, it's really worth watching - it'll be on the iPlayer.

Don't want to give any more away.

I think I can safely say I've never seen Kate Humble in anything on the telly - apart from this. But I reckon that's the beauty of this programme. It doesn't really matter who the person is. The stories are what counts. And last night's stories were gobsmacking.

That said, I still think you'd have to go a long way to beat Matthew Pinsent's edition. He can trace his family tree back to God. :D

Kates came across as someone with real integrity and we saw in the programme her 'freespirited' and 'can do' attitude certainly had a long pedigree: her stories were incredibly moving and made for great television, i think it was one of the best WDYTYA.

Damn, I missed the start and only saw the last 15 mins. But what I saw was extremely interesting, gonna have a watch on iPlayer.

A minor point but fascinating for me I suppose is the fact that as the PoWs were being marched from Stalag Luft III to Leippa, my mum was being born.

Damn, I missed the start and only saw the last 15 mins. But what I saw was extremely interesting, gonna have a watch on iPlayer.

A minor point but fascinating for me I suppose is the fact that as the PoWs were being marched from Stalag Luft III to Leippa, my mum was being born.
Which one was she?

Back
Top Bottom