Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Whisky recommendations?

iona

idle and disorderly
It's my brother's 18th next week and I want to get him a bottle of whisky as a present but I don't know what to buy. He's a skint teenager and usually drinks either Black Grouse or supermarket own-brand blended whisky depending on how long ago he got paid, but he has tried proper single malts before and liked them. Not sure which ones though.

Caol Ila / Bowmore / Bunnahabhain 12 yr old or Jura Superstition any good? Any other recommendations? I know fuck-all about whisky other than that I like it :D

Caol Ila / Bowmore / Bunnahabhain 12 yr old or Jura Superstition any good?
Yes but they're all quite salty/peaty ones. The normal Jura might be a safer bet if he usually drinks a blended one. Or Balvenie Doublewood if you're feeling flush :)

i drink a lot of whiskey these days....and an Irish whiskey is best, its much smoother than its Scottish and American cousins (doesnt even need water, and i am sensitive to whiskey). Powers is best (also the alcoholics choice - they are right) :oops:

Scotch:
Laphroaig 18 yr old
Lagavulin
Balvanie 12 yrs or more
Teachers highland cream (a good cheap standby)

Irish Whisky:
Bushmills malt 10 yr old

Bourbon/American whiskey:
Elijah Craig
Woodford reserve distillers select
Ridgemont 1792
Eagle rare (the best bourbon I've ever had and hard to get in Canada don't know about the UK)

Canadian whisky:
Don't! Even the best I've had (Century 21 if you want to know) was just bland

Was drinking Hibiki 17 y/day, it's one of, if not the, nicest Whiskeys ever, IMO.

If going for a Bushmills, the 16 year old is like liquid cashmere.

Of the more affordable, Oban and Dalwhinnie would be my choice.

I shouldn't start threads at 1am, I'd completely forgotten about this :facepalm:

Yes but they're all quite salty/peaty ones. The normal Jura might be a safer bet if he usually drinks a blended one. Or Balvenie Doublewood if you're feeling flush :)

I went with the Doublewood in the end. Thanks everyone for the suggestions :)

I drink all the Irish brands and we buy different ones all the time....Paddy Power is the main one i drink, which is smoother than scotch, which i find smokier, or more full bodied American ones, like bourbon.

I drink all the Irish brands and we buy different ones all the time....Paddy Power is the main one i drink, which is smoother than scotch, which i find smokier, or more full bodied American ones, like bourbon.
There is no such whiskey as Paddy Power, you're thinking of the bookie I believe. There is Paddy and there is Powers.

I agree Irish whiskey is better than Scotch though. Scotch whiskey is over hyped to fuck

I agree Irish whiskey is better than Scotch though. Scotch whiskey is over hyped to fuck
Irish whiskey is better than blended scotch but there are so many more unique flavours available with single malts.

Last edited:
There is no such whiskey as Paddy Power, you're thinking of the bookie I believe. There is Paddy and there is Powers.

haha, sorry! Paddys and Powers, yes.

Teachers is just petrol....

My fav is a blend
jb.jpg

I get an English one from time to time from St Georges distillery near East Harling in Norfolk, they have a few blends which I'm going through

Macallan is lovely, I agree. I've got a 10 year old bottle that only comes out on special occasions. Lovely stuff. Was bought a Balvennie Doublewood as a birthday present once and that was really nice, too.

Whisky isn't my cup of tea but my brother has liked the Caol Ila and Bunnahabhain I bought for him.

I want to drink whisky, slowly, instead of swigging gin and wine.

I don't know where to start. There are so many. Should I enrol at Whisky School?

No. A friend introduced me to adding a few drops of water to a Glenkinchie, 12 rs, and I was really surprised by the change.

I didn't much care for the the Glenkinchie, but the menu and enthusiasm of whisky fans shows there is much to be learned and enjoyed, that's all.

No. A friend introduced me to adding a few drops of water to a Glenkinchie, 12 rs, and I was really surprised by the change.

I didn't much care for the the Glenkinchie, but the menu and enthusiasm of whisky fans shows there is much to be learned and enjoyed, that's all.
Best bet would be to go to a decent whisky bar and try a few different types. Give a quality bourbon a try too if you fancy something a bit sweeter.

Funnily enough I did a tour of Glenkinchie distillery once and the tour guide reckoned you should try Lowland whisky first (which Glenkinchie is) before moving on to Speyside, then Highland, then Islay.

So following that logic you should give Speyside a try. Macallan comes recommended (see upthread).

Back
Top Bottom