Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Where would you take your family if you had £5k (ish) to spend?

Balearics, or Greek Islands.

Depends on what your thing is, and the ages of the family ofc but you'd be guaranteed some sunshine there (unlike in the UK) and there's places that cater to all ages if you have young ones. I went to Mallorca with TUI for a week last year for less than £600 for two people including accommodation. That was in low season (early October), but there are bargains to be had. £5k is plenty.

We did a week AI in Rhodes for about that (although there are 4, not 5 of us) and it was very memorable. Lots of sun and swimming, no stress over paying to eat out, waterpark on site so the teen had something to do, cheesy entertainment in the evening. We paid for a boat trip one day that was absolutely worth it.

But yes, depends what kind of memorable you want.

I'm definitely torn between a really nice AI in Europe vs a more adventurous/budget trip to Asia.
Or possibly a few nights in the US. But the tipping situation puts me off!

How old are they? If they're all < 7/8 then the Balearics are beautiful, Minorca is better than Majorca IMHO. If they're bit older then Florida/Disneyland is incredible.

I'd go Thailand. Somewhere touristy but not too touristy. Thailand is beautiful and the people are brilliant.

We did Tenerife all in last year - it was great but after about five days of cake for breakfast it was a bit much. But wine out of a tap never ever gets old.

This year we did a road trip round France Germany and Belgium. That was also great but needs planning and it can get a bit tiring.

Depends what you want really.

I'm definitely torn between a really nice AI in Europe vs a more adventurous/budget trip to Asia.

How long do you have? I think that would be the biggest influence for me. Not just how long it takes to get there etc, but I think you need to allow more time for things to happen with more adventurous travel (or pay a lot for tours)

Fly into Bangkok. A coupla nights in a lovely hotel. Get on a train down to Surat Thani, the boat across to Koh Tao or Pha Ngan and sort your bungalow. Honestly its paradise. And Thailand is very kid friendly.

Another vote for Thailand but only because a mate is living out there at the moment so it would be nice to take the kids over to see him and his family.

Fly into Bangkok. A coupla nights in a lovely hotel. Get on a train down to Surat Thani, the boat across to Koh Tao or Pha Ngan and sort your bungalow. Honestly its paradise. And Thailand is very kid friendly.
We do have some friends with kids in Bangkok so this could work well.

I have a £5- maybe £6k budget for a family of 5.

We're usually a Eurocamp/Butlins family and will probably never have this much to spend on a holiday again so I want it to be memorable.

Any suggestions?
How old are the kids?

ETA just seen.

We do have some friends with kids in Bangkok so this could work well.

I'm very jealous. My son has never been to Thailand but I've been with friends' kids and they absolutely loved it. It's 'only' a 12 hour flight. But at those ages they'll just be glued to their tablets while you drink all the booze.

I'd go Thailand. Somewhere touristy but not too touristy. Thailand is beautiful and the people are brilliant.

We did Tenerife all in last year - it was great but after about five days of cake for breakfast it was a bit much. But wine out of a tap never ever gets old.

This year we did a road trip round France Germany and Belgium. That was also great but needs planning and it can get a bit tiring.

Depends what you want really.
One child is a terrible traveller unfortunately and we never have him in the car for more than a couple of hours max. So that does limit things.

Back
Top Bottom